Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Picture of my newest cycling equipment

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 08:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

Just received Wednesday morning (21 March), at just over 57 years old. Won't be able to use it (for cycling) for about six weeks at least...early May I suppose.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1328.JPG (417.0 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by _ForceD_; 03-24-18 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-24-18, 08:34 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Titanium? Or did you splurge for carbon fiber?
Wishing you a smooth recovery.
Old 03-24-18, 10:28 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by SJM205
Titanium?
Yes.

Originally Posted by SJM205
Wishing you a smooth recovery.
Thanks.

Dan
Old 03-24-18, 10:52 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck! Had several friends who got one (or two) of these; they really made a difference.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-24-18, 11:52 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Will be good to be back in the game.
6 weeks wait will be perfect timing

For a good rehab
Old 03-24-18, 09:08 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Beautiful. We truly live in a wonderful time.

My wife is your age and is in need of a new right hip as well. She wants to know how you knew this was the right time, not that she has any real doubts about her need.
Old 03-25-18, 04:55 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the club! I received mine in November 2016. I see they used staples for your incision, mine was “glued” shut. Quick and happy healing to you!
Old 03-25-18, 05:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
My wife is your age and is in need of a new right hip as well. She wants to know how you knew this was the right time, not that she has any real doubts about her need.
For the past few years, people would frequently ask me "Why are you limping?" when I didn't even realize that I was. The only time I'd really notice the pain was getting on and off my bicycle. I couldn't get either leg up and over the top tube...I'd have to lay the bike on the ground, straddle it, and pick the bike up between my legs. Cycling wasn't painful at all. I was actually still running on it up until the autumn of 2017. Up to that point I really didn't have any pain, or I wasn't noticing it anyway. But then in the fall, I began to notice the pain at night when I'd lay down in bed, and it'd keep me awake. That's when I decided that it was time.

Dan
Old 03-25-18, 05:52 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
All the best with a full recovery!
Old 03-25-18, 09:50 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Looks like a nice job. Good luck !
Old 03-25-18, 03:06 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Hip and in the groove! Enjoy it in health!
Old 03-25-18, 04:01 PM
bigsky109

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OW!....Wishing you a quick recovery.
Old 03-25-18, 05:31 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
I ***** and moan about healthcare costs all the time (and trust me ... mine are outrageous), but one thing you have to admit ... some things have come a long way.

Not that long ago, you'd have been told to suck it up and get crutches. Now, you get a hip replacement and you're on your way ... in the end with few restrictions. Anyway you look it it, that's a good thing.

Good luck with the new hardware!

Old 03-26-18, 12:36 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
For the past few years, people would frequently ask me "Why are you limping?" when I didn't even realize that I was. The only time I'd really notice the pain was getting on and off my bicycle. I couldn't get either leg up and over the top tube...I'd have to lay the bike on the ground, straddle it, and pick the bike up between my legs. Cycling wasn't painful at all. I was actually still running on it up until the autumn of 2017. Up to that point I really didn't have any pain, or I wasn't noticing it anyway. But then in the fall, I began to notice the pain at night when I'd lay down in bed, and it'd keep me awake. That's when I decided that it was time.

Dan
My, that's a very good description of my wife, except for the running part. She's been able to cycle right through everything, but has trouble getting on and off, though she doesn't have to drop the bike down to do it. Pain is now getting to the point of pretty constant and walking is often extremely painful.

Yesterday on the way home we met a couple of old women (our age). One had just had knee surgery (I'm due for that, but I'm stalling) and the other had a hip replacement by the same surgeon my wife is considering. Unfortunately, this gal also has rheumatoid arthritis and the immunosuppressant she is on contributed to her replacement getting infected and having to be redone. These gals had done their homework and assured us that this was only the second time this had happened for this surgeon after thousands of replacements. We were impressed with the level of care she received after the infection was found, at least the care by the surgeon (the local ER really dropped the ball and could have killed her, but that's a different story).

Fun stuff. In an earlier time, my wife would be looking at a miserable future. We're pretty excited about the prospects ahead.
Old 03-26-18, 06:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Unfortunately, this gal also has rheumatoid arthritis and the immunosuppressant she is on contributed to her replacement getting infected and having to be redone.
On the topic of hip replacement infection...my oldest sister had an almost nightmare case. As a retired healthcare worker (an RN and researcher in the vectoring of infectious diseases) she knew that she was a MRSA carrier most of her adult/professional life. Apparently it's something well-known among healthcare workers. (Interestingly, my other siblings and I never knew this about her and were shocked to hear it.) But for her hip replacement surgery they took all the necessary precautions to prevent a MRSA infection. It didn't work and she got a MRSA infection. What followed was more than a yearlong ordeal wherein the hip device had to be removed, a "spacer" installed while the infection was fought, and eventually the artificial hip could be reinstalled.

And also, which I just found out with my replacement, for the rest of our lives...artificial hip recipients are required to take antibiotics before every dental appointment (even just cleanings with the hygienist). I thought this is a really odd association. Evidently bacteria in your mouth can cause an infection at the hip implant if/when you bleed in your mouth I guess. Well, small price to pay I guess.

Dan
Old 03-26-18, 06:18 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad that you went ahead and got the replacement parts in, backorders can be really rough. MRSA was a big problem for me, it took a foothold in my system during the 13 abdominal surgeries between 2000 and 2010. Had kidney failure twice from the antibiotics used to try and swat it down, finally had two rounds of infusion chemo therapy with vancomycin in 2011 and 2012, to get it under control. Twice daily, 7 days a week, for four weeks for the first round, then a pump in place the second go around. PIC lines were used both times to keep rom constantly being stuck with large bore needles.

I will guess from your avatar you might be a retired Navy CTxx (something or another), lots of them around our area, as CID Corry Station is nearby. Built them several buildings over the years. Mast Hall, IM/OM periscope repair school, Main Gate, gymnasium's wooden floor in the basketball area, weight room, bowling center, etc. I was the site engineer on all of these projects, finished my career doing the Special Operations Fire Station, on board there. My S-I-L's father in law was a retired CTRCM, and then CivIC at the NSG Activity here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-26-18, 06:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I will guess from your avatar you might be a retired Navy CTxx (something or another), lots of them around our area, as CID Corry Station is nearby. Built them several buildings over the years. Mast Hall, IM/OM periscope repair school, Main Gate, gymnasium's wooden floor in the basketball area, weight room, bowling center, etc. I was the site engineer on all of these projects, finished my career doing the Special Operations Fire Station, on board there. My S-I-L's father in law was a retired CTRCM, and then CivIC at the NSG Activity here.

Bill
Yep...a retired CTOC(AW) in 2002 (CTO rating was eliminated about a decade ago and the responsibilities given over to the IT rating.) Ahhh Corry Station! I'm not much of a competitive cyclist...other than triathlon, but some of my first competitive cycling experiences happened on Corry. When I was there a second time for a "C" school in the late 1980s, I was still relatively new into cycling. But since I would be there for 3-4 months...I took my bike with me. I discovered there was a retired Navy Commander who would come onto the base weekly and set up informal criterium races out on the old, unused runways in the vacant expanses of the base. One of the LBS would donate small prizes for the various races. Fun times.

Dan
Old 03-26-18, 07:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

I rode in some of those crits on board Corry Station, the old runways made for some neat courses. I think I know who you are talking about, The CDR, but not sure completely. This was the beginning period of the club now in our area, West Florida Wheelmen, but those spaces have been long demolished for building projects. I believe the LBS donating the prizes was Bikes Plus, I got my Cannondale SR300 from them during that time. I had to move out to mainside to oversee the Hazardous Materials Warehouse, for the Kitty Hawk battle group that got nixed in 1990.

With the IT school, EW schools and all of the CT variants, its about to bust open there. The IM/OM building is now some type of information spook school/activity, not that anyone wants or needs to say. Now, security has made venturing on a base a real no-go, different world we are living in.

I was working on the bowling center/child care, IM/OM School and the Controlled Humidity Warehouse during your time for "C" school. Main gate was finished by then, and Mast Hall was also finished, it is no longer part of the CT school facilities, its something else they keep secure. Biggest addition I am familiar with is the Army reserve center, in the west end of the base. You would be amazed at the growth there, and how much the joint service school have expanded, Army, Air Force and USMC are all growing their Intel and Information personnel.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-26-18 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 07:21 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Best of luck with the recovery and new "body part".

When I saw the thread title I thought you were showing us a new bike or bike accessory.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-26-18, 07:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by RonH
When I saw the thread title I thought you were showing us a new bike or bike accessory.
I kind of see it that way. I think eventually the degenerative condition would preclude cycling. Can't really ride without it.

Dan
Old 03-26-18, 07:38 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

I think you made the right choice in having the hip replaced now. The folks I know that had hips replaced have all said they wish that they had not waited so long. As long as a good, quality appliance is installed, like your titanium hardware, things should be fine. The early appliances had some issues and wouldn't hold up long enough. The new procedures and appliances should be good for long periods, to life-time lengths. The titanium I have, in and on my spine, is now 14+ years old, no problems or issues with them at all. Goes through TSA magnetic screening with no problems at all, also.

Bill
Old 03-26-18, 01:34 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 541 Posts
Keep a copy of that picture in your wallet for when you're at airports, theaters etc. It will probably come in handy.
Old 03-26-18, 03:25 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Keep a copy of that picture in your wallet for when you're at airports, theaters etc. It will probably come in handy.

Good idea, but from what I'm reading stuff like that doesn't work. Not even a note from the doctor, nor even any card issued by the TSA. One quote I saw from a TSA agent: "Would you want to be the TSA agent that saw a reaction on a metal detector and DIDN'T give the passagener a pat down, but instead relied on a picture that could be of anyone, and it ended up being a gun?"

Dan
Old 03-26-18, 04:23 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 541 Posts
Dan,

I'm sure that's true with the TSA. If you do a lot of flying you may want to see if they have any sort of pre-assigned accommodations that you can apply for. I was thinking the picture of letter from a doctor would work in places with a much lower threshold for security.
Old 03-26-18, 05:24 PM
Jmac1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck on your recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.