Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

April Fools Day: First ride in three years!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 05:39 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did it! I enjoyed my first ride in three years, more than sixteen months after a mild heart attack.

I was well prepared. I had Clementine, my 2015 Sirrus Elite, tuned up, polished up, and ready to go with a new rack on the back and a new kickstand as well. The weather was finally gorgeous as well. Temperatures were in the low sixties when I began, sky was a deep blue.

Took the bike to the Damonte Ranch Wetlook Trail, which is a gorgeous 3.1 mile loop.

My goals at first were quite modest: could I cycle 100 yards, or 1,000 yards, or a mile, before I'd have to stop?

Climbing on the bike, I learned my first challenge - getting my leg over the bar! I had to lay the bike almost flat to mount up - but mount up I did. Off I went with my new Apple Watch tracking things on my wrist, and MapMyRide doing the same on my phone.

The first body part to complain was my thighs, followed by incessant questioning from my butt (What the heck are you doing? it wanted to know). But things felt pretty good, so off I went. Then some arm complaints and neck complaints, as I tried to get used to the position of my head. I knew all this stuff was predictable and bearable.

Lo! And behold, before long, I had completed a loop - 3.1 miles - and I wasn't tired. This was encouraging!

Kept going, and enjoying dropping all the moms with their strollers and the dads walking their dogs. Why, I exceeded 10 miles per hour on occasion - topping at 14.6 miles per hour by the end of the ride.

After the second lap, it was an easy decision to go for the gold and see if I could hit 10 miles. A bit of cross-wind reminded me of that thing called wind. Not terrible, just a reminder from days gone by.

Before long, I had completed three loops, and did a little bit more to get over ten miles. Not much for many of you - but far exceeding my reasonable expectations for me. I did it!

I was having so much fun I found myself musing on two subjects: a) can I get strong enough to ride my age for my October birthday? I'll be 68 then, and b) maybe I should get a winter bike, like a fat tire bike, to ride these same MUPS in colder weather?

Most important, I found myself realizing that I'd found my 12-year-old self back on my steed, riding for the sheer joy of riding, believing I could go anywhere and feeling completely free!

Once back home, I had the new treat of using my hot tub after a ride (another first). Whoa, boy! That felt good!

After lunch, I collapsed on the couch and fell into a DEEP sleep. That's the one part I forgot about. And now I'm walking around in a fog, but I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Here's a few pics:

I squeezed into my 50+ jersey to honor the occasion. And I even got a little blood on my ankle as well. Ah, life is good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike 1.jpg (429.8 KB, 107 views)
Bike 2.jpg (632.8 KB, 107 views)
Bike 3.jpg (605.4 KB, 104 views)
Bike 5.jpg (603.6 KB, 105 views)
Bike 6.jpg (175.6 KB, 109 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Last edited by Digital Gee; 04-01-18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 05:51 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Well done! Small victories can be sweet, indeed!
Old 04-01-18, 06:08 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome. Any positive progress is always good. Go slow and easy and you'll be ready for to Ride the Rockies soon.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-01-18, 06:19 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Congratulations and welcome back.
I'm sure you will be able to ride your age if that is your goal.
Old 04-01-18, 08:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Woo hoo!!! One of these days you’re going to ride towards those snow capped mountains and just keep on going and going.
Old 04-01-18, 08:53 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is awesome,,im so glad for you..i had similiar problems and im walking every day to get my energy and stamina up and get my balance....
well done sir
Old 04-01-18, 10:45 PM
derf36

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done sir!

That bike and that jersey deserve to spend more time on that path. Keep rollin’.
Old 04-02-18, 05:24 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Great job! Just keep building up those miles!
Old 04-02-18, 06:09 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Best news I have had in quite a while, Good for you Deege!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-02-18, 08:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Honest to G-d I teared-up. This is great, GREAT news! go, Go, GO! (but be careful!)
Old 04-02-18, 09:20 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot what the day after would be like. Sit bones aching! But still glad to be back...
Old 04-02-18, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Coming back from my MI, I added an extra column to my spreadsheet log: what would I have to ride each weekend to add 10% to last week's total. It looked pretty puny at first: 14 miles this week, 16 miles next week. I managed to exceed that by the time I was into the 40s, but making that chart and riding towards it was a challenge that kept me going more than once.

Let us know how you do on your birthday!
Old 04-02-18, 11:24 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I did it! I enjoyed my first ride in three years, more than sixteen months after a mild heart attack.

I was well prepared. I had Clementine, my 2015 Sirrus Elite, tuned up, polished up, and ready to go with a new rack on the back and a new kickstand as well. The weather was finally gorgeous as well. Temperatures were in the low sixties when I began, sky was a deep blue.

Took the bike to the Damonte Ranch Wetlook Trail, which is a gorgeous 3.1 mile loop.

My goals at first were quite modest: could I cycle 100 yards, or 1,000 yards, or a mile, before I'd have to stop?

Climbing on the bike, I learned my first challenge - getting my leg over the bar! I had to lay the bike almost flat to mount up - but mount up I did. Off I went with my new Apple Watch tracking things on my wrist, and MapMyRide doing the same on my phone.

The first body part to complain was my thighs, followed by incessant questioning from my butt (What the heck are you doing? it wanted to know). But things felt pretty good, so off I went. Then some arm complaints and neck complaints, as I tried to get used to the position of my head. I knew all this stuff was predictable and bearable.

Lo! And behold, before long, I had completed a loop - 3.1 miles - and I wasn't tired. This was encouraging!

Kept going, and enjoying dropping all the moms with their strollers and the dads walking their dogs. Why, I exceeded 10 miles per hour on occasion - topping at 14.6 miles per hour by the end of the ride.

After the second lap, it was an easy decision to go for the gold and see if I could hit 10 miles. A bit of cross-wind reminded me of that thing called wind. Not terrible, just a reminder from days gone by.

Before long, I had completed three loops, and did a little bit more to get over ten miles. Not much for many of you - but far exceeding my reasonable expectations for me. I did it!

I was having so much fun I found myself musing on two subjects: a) can I get strong enough to ride my age for my October birthday? I'll be 68 then, and b) maybe I should get a winter bike, like a fat tire bike, to ride these same MUPS in colder weather?

Most important, I found myself realizing that I'd found my 12-year-old self back on my steed, riding for the sheer joy of riding, believing I could go anywhere and feeling completely free!

Once back home, I had the new treat of using my hot tub after a ride (another first). Whoa, boy! That felt good!

After lunch, I collapsed on the couch and fell into a DEEP sleep. That's the one part I forgot about. And now I'm walking around in a fog, but I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Here's a few pics:

I squeezed into my 50+ jersey to honor the occasion. And I even got a little blood on my ankle as well. Ah, life is good!
Well done! That pain thing is temporary but quitting lasts forever as they say. It's a long way back but the journey is well worth it.

Now, stay the course! Keep a LOG! Nothing is more motivational than seeing where you started and then where you are after say 2-3 months. It worked wonders for me.

Just add a bit every week and before you know it, you will be up around 20 miles. Again, keep a log of every ride.
Find someone to ride with and schedule some rides with them on a weekly basis. This is also a big motivator and you can talk about all those pains with someone who understands what you are going thru!

So, keep it up!

john
Old 04-02-18, 11:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Love an orange bike
Old 04-02-18, 11:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
well done Sir!

hot tub? jealous! if I had one of those, I'm not sure if I would ever ride!
Old 04-02-18, 08:08 PM
NABodie

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done! 68 is certainly doable by Oct just build yourself up to it a little at a time.