Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

For Black cyclists, the fatality risk per mile was 4.5 times as high as that for whit

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

For Black cyclists, the fatality risk per mile was 4.5 times as high as that for whit

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 01:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't know if this is a factor or not, but it certainly could be. When I ride through the part of town where I see the most black bicyclists, I also smell weed wafting out of the windows of a shocking number of vehicles.
What else do you see? Or not see? I'm asking you because you clearly are in a position to shed some light on exactly how the differences in 'infrastructure' might influence safety outcomes. Ever since I've been on BF (July 2005) the issue of riding through 'sketch' areas has surfaced from time to time. In none of these 'discussions' has the issue of infrastructure ever been raised. It is always the presumption of being 'jacked', or in some other way harmed, by the gang types that populate sketch areas.

To the point of your comment, I will say that in the suburb of Portland (Forest Grove) that I lived in for eight years, I never saw another black person. Ever. I smelled plenty of weed though. But not wafting from car windows. I will paraphrase Hanlon: never ascribe to impairment (cellphone, substance) that which is adequately explained by poor judgement or inexperience. You give me the opportunity to make another observation. You refer to "riding through the part of town ...". Exactly. I am born and raised in the city with perhaps the largest urban blight problem in the country: NYC, and in my Borough of Brooklyn there was Bedford-Stuyvesant; East New York; Bushwick and part of Williamsburg that one might call 'poor'. Those areas combined comprised less than 25% of the city in area. In Manhattan there was of course Harlem. Pull in the Lower East Side and you are still talking about only 10% of the land area. In Queens, Jamaica. The South Bronx (not all of the Bronx). To account for a 4.5x disparity one needs, I think, to do much better than throw some 'poor areas' under the bus of speculation. Such areas are always a small part of the total land area of the larger metro.

In recent years, gentrification has all but obliterated the 'poor' aspect of any part of Portland. Poverty is now much more diffuse. NYC as well. Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick, Crown Heights, and Williamsburg are almost fully gentrified. Only East New York still remains unchanged. From the graph, even as 'poor areas' all over the country are gentrified, the pedestrian and cyclist deaths continue to increase. Hmm.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-07-23, 12:04 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
But most of those black cyclists are not what you have a picture of, some black dude on a $5,000 bike with full kit on, what you'll find is some black dude that is drunk or drugged out riding a stolen beat-up Walmart bike cutting in and out of traffic, running stops etc, then get hit by cars.
That's a lot of assumption you've got there. Evidence?
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-07-23, 09:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
But most of those black cyclists are not what you have a picture of, some black dude on a $5,000 bike with full kit on...
I was with you right up to there. The article is not limiting cyclists to the lycra clad enthusiasts. The rest of your descriptions can (and do) pertain to people of all colors.
Old 05-07-23, 09:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
…what you'll find is some black dude that is drunk or drugged out riding a stolen beat-up Walmart bike cutting in and out of traffic, running stops etc, then get hit by cars.
right, because all (or most) black people or people living in lower income urban neighborhoods are drunk, or on drugs, and thieves.

i’m so glad i don’t know most of you in real life.
Old 05-08-23, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Most of those fatalities is due to blacks riding in the inner city where it is more dangerous to ride, there are more drunk and drugged out people in those areas.

I sometimes ride my bike in the inner city taking a short cut, and it can be a challenge.

But most of those black cyclists are not what you have a picture of, some black dude on a $5,000 bike with full kit on, what you'll find is some black dude that is drunk or drugged out riding a stolen beat-up Walmart bike cutting in and out of traffic, running stops etc, then get hit by cars.

Do you ride wearing a pointy helmet?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-23, 03:38 PM
Zara Sp00k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So there still hasn't been an identification of what infrastructure is lacking that is causing the death of black cyclists.
Perhaps they should spend money putting in new sewer pipes, that's infrastructure isn't it?

It seems to me that the OP, and apparently the author of the "study" are just arguing for more money, the same old tired tune, hoping to get the do-gooders to feel guilty and start screaming (because that's what they do) for their politicians to spend more money.

The thing is though, blacks have gotten smarter, instead of their vote being bought by the bread crumbs tossed to them by white liberal politicians, they are asking for cash, big cash $$$ (reparations) I suppose in hopes people will feel that giving them $50,000 or whatever is a bargain compered to the millions they are demanding (doesn't anybody ask anymore?)
Old 05-08-23, 04:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
It seems to me that the OP, and apparently the author of the "study"
This suggests that you didn't actually read much, since the article provides links to many studies.

Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
So there still hasn't been an identification of what infrastructure is lacking that is causing the death of black cyclists.
And this confirms it.

This is where we are as a country -- more than ever, people feel free to express their uninformed opinions. And they often believe that they know more about a subject than the people who actually study that subject for a living.
Old 05-08-23, 06:07 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Closed for moderator review