Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Left Turn on Red Permitted?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Left Turn on Red Permitted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 01:21 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Originally Posted by work4bike
Louisiana allows a left turn on red onto a one way street. Take a look at this intersection. Would a rider be allowed by law to take a left on red onto Veterans at the red light where the two red vehicles are stopped?
If it's lawful for a car to go thru the red light (after stopping of course), then it's perfectly legal for a cyclist to do the same thing
That was not part of the question.
It sure was part of your question!

Exactly, so where's the value in stating the obvious?
??? You asked a question. The "obvious" thing is the basis for saying it's legal. That is, it's the answer to your question!

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-31-23 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-31-23, 01:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If only there was someone is Louisiana whose job was to answer questions about interpretations of law?

(That would be Jeff Landy’s office, the Attorney General.)
The AG provides's the state's argument.

But it's court decisions which are controlling.
Old 07-31-23, 01:37 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by FBinNY
However, it seems that you have some deep seated to be right, and for anyone who doesn't agree with you to be wrong. So feel free to keep parsing my posts to PROVE that I'm wrong.
You are basically dictating what OPINIONS people are allowed to express.

In fact, I'm completely free to point out why I regard what you said was wrong. And you really can't keep telling me that I can't comment on the things you say.

I obviously don't care about your OPINION and trust folks who can read to draw their own conclusions.
You do care! Otherwise, you wouldn't keep telling me I'm not allowed to say stuff.

BTW- I've heen here on BF long enough to know you have to have the last word, so this is it for me, and feel free.
This is the second time you've said this.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-31-23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 03:45 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I'm starting to lean towards it is legal. Here's why:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0030...8192?entry=ttu

Signage clearly says "Signalized U-turn". That's the street view of the opposite facing U-turn. It's a one-lane U-turn while the U-turn in question is a 2-lane U-turn. How much that matters I don't know. Of course someone from the left lane of the U-turn in question should be able to see oncoming traffic, which could be blocked by a car/truck in the right lane.

Based on the previously cited laws in Louisiana regarding signalized U-turns, I'm leaning towards legal U-turn on red after stop.
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 07-31-23, 03:59 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by bikelif3
I'm starting to lean towards it is legal. Here's why:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0030...8192?entry=ttu

Signage clearly says "Signalized U-turn". That's the street view of the opposite facing U-turn. It's a one-lane U-turn while the U-turn in question is a 2-lane U-turn. How much that matters I don't know. Of course someone from the left lane of the U-turn in question should be able to see oncoming traffic, which could be blocked by a car/truck in the right lane.

Based on the previously cited laws in Louisiana regarding signalized U-turns, I'm leaning towards legal U-turn on red after stop.
Great that you finally caught up!

Nice find on the sign.

Oh, the reason for that extra sign is to warn people that they might have to stop. The fact of the signal on the U-turn makes it a "signalized U-turns" (that is, the sign doesn't make it so).