Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Silca wax 'boiler bag'

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Silca wax 'boiler bag'

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 02:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Silca wax 'boiler bag'

Looking at Silca's chain wax, they advertise that it comes in a 'convenient stovetop boiler bag', and you can just put the chain in the bag in hot water on the stove. Mostly I've heard of people using crock pots.

Anybody try out this stovetop method? Is the bag sturdy enough to really last? Or does it eventually wear out and you need to step up to a crockpot anyway? Or, could you just migrate to gallon ziploc bags and replace whenever necessary?
Old 11-22-23, 02:36 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Looking at Silca's chain wax, they advertise that it comes in a 'convenient stovetop boiler bag', and you can just put the chain in the bag in hot water on the stove. Mostly I've heard of people using crock pots.

Anybody try out this stovetop method? Is the bag sturdy enough to really last? Or does it eventually wear out and you need to step up to a crockpot anyway? Or, could you just migrate to gallon ziploc bags and replace whenever necessary?
just recently tried it and it worked ok but I ended up buying a $15 crockpot at Target and it worked much better. the bag seems plenty strong but it was hard to keep it from floating in the pot of water and then the opening was a little small so it was kind of hard for me to stir the chain around. The crock pot worked way better for me. If I had to do it over I would have used the crock pot first as i had a bit of a time getting all the wax out of the bag once it was melted the first time. I will also say after my first ride I was a convert to the wax.
Old 11-23-23, 03:34 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Generally I cook the chain in the crockpot where it gets well beyond 220 deg F. Hot enough to boil off whatever moisture or solvent still on the chain. If you do sous vide it might not get not enough to do that.
Old 11-23-23, 05:23 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I got a wax heater off Amazon (hair removal type), originally for waxing accordions but it works better on bike chains.

It's got a digital readout so you just set it for 92 (centigrade) and put the chain on top of the hard wax and leave it for 40 mins.
500cc capacity and that turns out to be exactly enough for 1 chain.

"Guckmall wax heater" or "Wax Heater WD-001D" will find it: https://www.amazon.com/Guckmall-Kit%...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Shows out of stock on Amazon but anything similar works.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 11-24-23 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-23, 10:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts

So that’s what you are paying the extra $36.99 for! A high tech ziplock bag that you could buy for 15¢.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-23-23, 10:57 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
I use a pot. It cost $6.
Old 11-24-23, 07:57 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I've seen the 'boiler bag' method used on youtube but much prefer a dedicated 'crock pot'...they are relatively inexpensive and much easier to use.
Old 11-24-23, 10:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cyccommute
So that’s what you are paying the extra $36.99 for! A high tech ziplock bag that you could buy for 15¢.
Actually it's on sale for $29.99, and the reason I'm buying that instead of plain household parrafin is
the world's fastest, most lubricous additive, nano-scale Tungsten Di-Sulfide. NanoPlatelet WS2 has less than 1/3 the dynamic coefficient of friction of chemicals found in other bike chain lubricant on the market.
I think this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (or 30year purchase, which at my age amounts to about the same thing)
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 11-25-23, 12:05 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Best must-have things in bicycling: titanium, carbon fiber, ceramic, and nano-anything.
Old 11-25-23, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Actually it's on sale for $29.99, and the reason I'm buying that instead of plain household parrafin is
I think this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (or 30year purchase, which at my age amounts to about the same thing)
I think you’ll be surprised on how quickly you run through wax doing the hot wax process. A lot of wax ends up on the outside of the chain that is just wasted. It doesn’t run off when you pull it out of the hot melt because it hardens quickly due to the low melt point. I can’t say for sure how much wax is on the chain when it comes out of the melt but I would estimate that about 2/3 of the weight isn’t doing any lubrication on the outside of the chain and just falls off during use.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-25-23, 08:31 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK good to know
Old 11-25-23, 10:22 AM
jadmt

I think you’ll be surprised on how quickly you run through wax doing the hot wax process. A lot of wax ends up on the outside of the chain that is just wasted. It doesn’t run off when you pull it out of the hot melt because it hardens quickly due to the low melt point. I can’t say for sure how much wax is on the chain when it comes out of the melt but I would estimate that about 2/3 of the weight isn’t doing any lubrication on the outside of the chain and just falls off during use.
I found that after my chains dried I just held them over the crock pot and wiggled them around and most of the dried wax fell back in the pot. I also put a piece of cardboard under the chain after I put it back on the bike and a few more bits fell off when spinning the crank. I would say I was able to save the majority of the wax from the outside of the chains.
Old 11-25-23, 10:25 AM
jadmt

good find. I liked it so much I grabbed another package from Amazon for the discounted price.
Old 11-25-23, 11:04 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by jadmt
I found that after my chains dried I just held them over the crock pot and wiggled them around and most of the dried wax fell back in the pot. I also put a piece of cardboard under the chain after I put it back on the bike and a few more bits fell off when spinning the crank. I would say I was able to save the majority of the wax from the outside of the chains.
At around $40 for a 1 lb block of wax (or less on sale), that might be worth the trouble. At $4 per pound it’s not something to worry about. But paying $40 for a pound of wax (or even $30) is pretty silly to begin with no matter how many “nano” things it has in it.

Old 11-25-23, 11:28 AM
jadmt

At around $40 for a 1 lb block of wax (or less on sale), that might be worth the trouble. At $4 per pound it’s not something to worry about. But paying $40 for a pound of wax (or even $30) is pretty silly to begin with no matter how many “nano” things it has in it.
silly for you maybe but I have no issues with it. I will say after my first ride it was 100% worth it to me. We all have different things that make us feel warm and fuzzy no doubt. hell for me $30 was worth it just for how cool it looks all melted up....
Old 11-25-23, 03:59 PM
cyccommute 

silly for you maybe but I have no issues with it. I will say after my first ride it was 100% worth it to me. We all have different things that make us feel warm and fuzzy no doubt. hell for me $30 was worth it just for how cool it looks all melted up....
You are talking to someone who has no problem spending money on bicycles…I have 4 bikes with Paul Klampers on them, 8 bikes with either Phil Wood hubs or White Industries or Pauls (including a rare Paul RHub), titanium bikes with Moots or Dean house stems and seat posts, etc. I just find spending a lot of money on chains or chain lubricants to be chasing good money after bad.

Old 11-26-23, 09:36 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I've been waxing for a long time now, I'm having a hard time believing the wiggle dried wax falling bit.
Old 11-26-23, 11:49 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You are talking to someone who has no problem spending money on bicycles…I have 4 bikes with Paul Klampers on them, 8 bikes with either Phil Wood hubs or White Industries or Pauls (including a rare Paul RHub), titanium bikes with Moots or Dean house stems and seat posts, etc. I just find spending a lot of money on chains or chain lubricants to be chasing good money after bad.
Even if you go nuts with chain waxing we are still taking about $30 a year, I think I could get over it.
Likes For Canker:
Old 11-27-23, 07:56 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Canker
Even if you go nuts with chain waxing we are still taking about $30 a year, I think I could get over it.
Or spend $4 per year with the same results. You are missing the point. Silca wants you to pay that extra $30 per year for very marginal returns.

Old 11-27-23, 08:29 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I used the bag for a year, and it worked fine, but using a cheap ($20) crockpot is MUCH easier, and eliminated the possibility of an oops moment.

FWIW, if you accidentally spill a bag of hot wax next to a sink, you will need to replace the trap.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-27-23, 08:40 AM
bbbean 

Or spend $4 per year with the same results. You are missing the point. Silca wants you to pay that extra $30 per year for very marginal returns.
Not exactly the same results. Many of us do appreciate marginal performance gains, longer drive train life, and no grease stains. But if you're happy with what you're doing now, by all means, enjoy it.

FWIW, I can eat a piece of beef at McDonalds for $0.99, or eat a piece of beef at a good steak house for $99.00. Both offer essentially the same nutritional value. I'm pretty happy I have the option to choose what my priorities are at any given meal.

Old 11-27-23, 09:09 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Not exactly the same results. Many of us do appreciate marginal performance gains, longer drive train life, and no grease stains. ​​​​​​​
He's saying $4 for regular household parrafin with no additives and no 'boiler bag', which also gets you longer drive train life and no grease stains
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 11-27-23, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by bbbean
Not exactly the same results. Many of us do appreciate marginal performance gains, longer drive train life, and no grease stains. But if you're happy with what you're doing now, by all means, enjoy it.
I really doubt you would get much more than very marginal performance gains when using the Silca wax vs Gulf paraffin wax. You certainly won’t see any longer drivetrain life nor grease stains when using Gulf wax vs the Silca. I don’t use oil but I also don’t mess with hot wax. Solvent wax works as well and is far easier to use.

FWIW, I can eat a piece of beef at McDonalds for $0.99, or eat a piece of beef at a good steak house for $99.00. Both offer essentially the same nutritional value. I'm pretty happy I have the option to choose what my priorities are at any given meal.
Wrong comparison. McDonalds doesn’t sell “pieces of beef”. They sell hamburger. Someone that is selling you a $99 hamburger is selling you the experience. The hamburger is essentially the same…just like Silca wax vs Gulf canning wax.

Old 11-27-23, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 

He's saying $4 for regular household parrafin with no additives and no 'boiler bag', which also gets you longer drive train life and no grease stains
I don’t agree on the longer drivetrain life, especially the wild claim of 25,000 miles that have been made. All I’m willing to say is that wax (solvent or hot) doesn’t shorten drivetrain life over oil. I most certainly agree that either is much cleaner. I deal with other people’s interpretation of oil lubrication all the time and hate the results.

The grim just jumps off the page.

Old 11-27-23, 09:40 AM
bbbean 

I really doubt you would get much more than very marginal performance gains when using the Silca wax vs Gulf paraffin wax. You certainly won’t see any longer drivetrain life nor grease stains when using Gulf wax vs the Silca. I don’t use oil but I also don’t mess with hot wax. Solvent wax works as well and is far easier to use..
Doubt away. My reading, independent tests, and my experience bring me to a different conclusion. I pay what I pay for the products I buy because I believe they work. I believe what I do because I've read the independent studies, multiple reviews, talked to cyclists I know, and I've been riding long enough to have tried a variety of products to form a baseline opinion. This isn't simply a case of "we all have opinions", but rather a case of "the available evidence points to a particular conclusion."

With all that said, I'm glad you're happy with your Gulf paraffin wax.

Likes For bbbean:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.