Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 04:14 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's easy nutcase helmets
You seem like the kind of guy who would buy one of those. Glad you like them! Do you have the one with the flowers on them?
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 04-02-24, 04:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's easy nutcase helmets
Oh lord they sell those stupid 3 wheel "scooters'. Kids are so over protected these days. We can't have little Jimmy or Petunia having to learn balance now, can we, they might fall and oh no they will learn from it! We need to bubble wrap them twice.

Sorry I hadn't been to the Nutcase site in a while and got "triggered" as the kids say. The first time I saw one of those three wheeled nightmares I lost it. I had a two wheel scooter and survived just fine. I probably fell and probably scraped my knees up hell I tied a red wagon to the back of my BMX bike and had to be the first passenger and crashed and chipped a tooth but I am still alive with 97.65% of my braincells left. Granted I did wear a helmet. I did like some of the nutcase designs though but I don't love that style of helmet.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-24, 05:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yep OP pitched that one slow and down the middle!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-05-24, 04:21 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Helmets

I have a Bell bicycle helmet I bought at Academy Sports a few years ago. I needed a helmet and it was fairly cheap.
It was 87* here today and there isn’t much airflow with this helmet. It is ventilated.
What are some reasonably priced helmets with good ventilation, or are they all about the same?
I did a very quick search and saw a Specialized Chamonix 2 for about $35. I have no idea if it’s good or not but it has large vents.
Old 04-05-24, 04:40 PM
The_Joe

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have a Bell bicycle helmet I bought at Academy Sports a few years ago. I needed a helmet and it was fairly cheap.
It was 87* here today and there isn’t much airflow with this helmet. It is ventilated.
What are some reasonably priced helmets with good ventilation, or are they all about the same?
I did a very quick search and saw a Specialized Chamonix 2 for about $35. I have no idea if it’s good or not but it has large vents.
You just have to ride faster!

I use a Specialized Align and I've never felt overly warm even on 90* days. It's a comfortable, affordable helmet, and it's got MIPS which I'm still out of the loop enough to assume is the height of safety features.
Old 04-05-24, 04:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
It's only partly about how big the air vents are. Good design counts for just as much. Continue your research and talk to people who've worn them. (I wish I could point you to a website that shows such research. Maybe another poster can.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-05-24, 05:18 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I recommend going to bike shops and trying on different helmets and talking to the shop staff.

Buy the helmet that fits and works for you, no matter the cost. The added enjoyment you gain on the bicycle will more than make up for the money.
Old 04-05-24, 05:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Giro and Bell do have some models that have decent airflow and for inexpensive helmets they have some highly rated in the crash tests. And it was a Giro interceptor that saved me in my one and only trip to the ER.

Everyone else is about the same with some that don't have much ventilation and many that do have a lot of ventilation. You just have to look and imagine how the air flows through them. Poc might be the one that impressed me as not having a lot of ventilation for such well speaking reviews. But perhaps the shop I was at only had those that didn't have much ventilation. I don't think I've ever looked on Poc's site.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-05-24, 05:43 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Giro and Bell do have some models that have decent airflow and for inexpensive helmets they have some highly rated in the crash tests. And it was a Giro interceptor that saved me in my one and only trip to the ER.

Everyone else is about the same with some that don't have much ventilation and many that do have a lot of ventilation. You just have to look and imagine how the air flows through them. Poc might be the one that impressed me as not having a lot of ventilation for such well speaking reviews. But perhaps the shop I was at only had those that didn't have much ventilation. I don't think I've ever looked on Poc's site.
The one I have doesn’t have large openings.
Old 04-05-24, 05:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

The one I have doesn’t have large openings.
But they have 19 different road bike/gravel helmets on their site. Of which 3 or 4 look pretty decent for airflow. And they don't show them on the first page. Though those were pricier and you might can do better with others, even Specialized.

I'm usually up in the $250 to $350 dollar price range since my crash. But still, like I said, Giro and Bell have some high scoring helmets for crash protection that are below $100. Or were.

My big gripe on Bell is the emblem on the front will make me feel like Teal'c from Stargate SG-1.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-05-24, 06:21 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

But they have 19 different road bike/gravel helmets on their site. Of which 3 or 4 look pretty decent for airflow. And they don't show them on the first page. Though those were pricier and you might can do better with others, even Specialized.

I'm usually up in the $250 to $350 dollar price range since my crash. But still, like I said, Giro and Bell have some high scoring helmets for crash protection that are below $100. Or were.

My big gripe on Bell is the emblem on the front will make me feel like Teal'c from Stargate SG-1.
I just looked at mine. It’s a Bell Passage.
The foam seems like it prevents air flowing through it but maybe they all do.
Old 04-05-24, 06:37 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Up until recently my experience was that there wasn't much difference between helmets in terms of ventilation. Then I found the Kask Protone Icon. Noticeably cooler. Huge vents all over. It is so much better than my previous helmets that I find I need something on my head in cooler weather to keep from getting chilled. Looking forward to a much more comfortable summer riding season. Unfortunatley it is not an inexpensive helmet.

As others have said, it's best to try helmets on. There are different shaped helmets for different shaped heads. As an example, every bontrager helmet I've tried on was horribly uncomfortable. It's not that they are bad, they are just not shaped for my noggin.

And if you don't mind odd colors, you can often find super discounts on helmets that didn't sell.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-05-24, 06:47 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Up until recently my experience was that there wasn't much difference between helmets in terms of ventilation. Then I found the Kask Protone Icon. Noticeably cooler. Huge vents all over. It is so much better than my previous helmets that I find I need something on my head in cooler weather to keep from getting chilled. Looking forward to a much more comfortable summer riding season. Unfortunatley it is not an inexpensive helmet.

As others have said, it's best to try helmets on. There are different shaped helmets for different shaped heads. As an example, every bontrager helmet I've tried on was horribly uncomfortable. It's not that they are bad, they are just not shaped for my noggin.

And if you don't mind odd colors, you can often find super discounts on helmets that didn't sell.
From reading I really want a helmet with MIPS.
Old 04-05-24, 07:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Cannot be emphasized enough. Unless you are buying a brand that you know fits YOUR head shape well, it’s best to try out different helmets. If I only had a dollar for every poor fitting helmet I’ve seen people wearing….And don’t get me started on the number of people I have seen wearing them backwards. IMO, it’s not worth the effort cheaping out by buying on the Internets fit untried.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-05-24, 07:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cannot be emphasized enough. Unless you are buying a brand that you know fits YOUR head shape well, it’s best to try out different helmets. If I only had a dollar for every poor fitting helmet I’ve seen people wearing….And don’t get me started on the number of people I have seen wearing them backwards. IMO, it’s not worth the effort cheaping out by buying on the Internets fit untried.
It sounds like SCUBA dive masks. You pick one that fits.
Old 04-05-24, 09:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts

I have a POC MTB helmet with small holes. It is surprisingly comfortable in hot weather.

Edit: Yup, like scuba masks or for me, swim goggles.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-05-24, 09:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

As others have said, it's best to try helmets on. There are different shaped helmets for different shaped heads. As an example, every bontrager helmet I've tried on was horribly uncomfortable. It's not that they are bad, they are just not shaped for my noggin..
And I'm the example for that. The Bontrager helmets with the wave cell back in 2020 fit my head the best of any I tried on. I just didn't believe that I'd get decent ventilation with it so I passed it up for a S-works Prevail II which didn't fit quite as well, but seems to have excellent air flow. But I think S-works has another out that is even better now for airflow. But can't remember the name.

Though it might be that if the OP is lacking hair on top like me, then a dew rag of some sort under the helmet will also help to soak up sweat to make more evaporative cooling in the breeze. Not sure if that works as well for those blessed with a full head of hair. I do feel hotter on the head when I forget mine. Currently still using Sweat-Vac.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-05-24, 09:50 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

And I'm the example for that. The Bontrager helmets with the wave cell back in 2020 fit my head the best of any I tried on. I just didn't believe that I'd get decent ventilation with it so I passed it up for a S-works Prevail II which didn't fit quite as well, but seems to have excellent air flow. But I think S-works has another out that is even better now for airflow. But can't remember the name.

Though it might be that if the OP is lacking hair on top like me, then a dew rag of some sort under the helmet will also help to soak up sweat to make more evaporative cooling in the breeze. Not sure if that works as well for those blessed with a full head of hair. I do feel hotter on the head when I forget mine. Currently still using Sweat-Vac.
Yes, I am also follicularly impaired.
Old 04-06-24, 05:43 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Fit is definitely important! Amazon has a try before you buy program, although you can't cut the tags to return it so I'm not sure how well this works with helmets.

I just bought a Giro Aether helmet to replace an old Bontrager entry level helmet and I really like it. Plenty of ventilation, pretty light and very comfortable. I paid $90 on Amazon. Looked in some other sites and apparently it was a $350 helmet when. It first came out!
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 04-06-24, 06:05 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Big vents are great but ensure they are lined with a mess to prevent stinging bugs from getting sucked in....
Old 04-06-24, 08:22 AM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
From reading I really want a helmet with MIPS.
Safety first! Then cooling and neato colors.

Virginia Tech does helmet impact ratings, check out https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 04-06-24, 08:32 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I live just down the road from you, and have been battling hot head for a number of years and have tried a lot of helmets. I’ve boiled it down to the Lazer G1 and Trek Velocis (not Wavecell), both with MIPS. Spec has some that are well ventilated, but they do not fit me as well. The unfortunate thing is that a well ventilated helmet is costly.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-06-24, 08:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have a POC MTB helmet with small holes. It is surprisingly comfortable in hot weather.

Edit: Yup, like scuba masks or for me, swim goggles.
Your Portland “hot” is our winter chill.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-06-24, 08:46 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Your Portland “hot” is our winter chill.
What is hot for Portland?😎
Old 04-06-24, 09:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Fit is definitely important! Amazon has a try before you buy program, although you can't cut the tags to return it so I'm not sure how well this works with helmets.

I just bought a Giro Aether helmet to replace an old Bontrager entry level helmet and I really like it. Plenty of ventilation, pretty light and very comfortable. I paid $90 on Amazon. Looked in some other sites and apparently it was a $350 helmet when. It first came out!
No they don't, they just offer returns and sell your used helmets to some other schmuck who might not even be the wiser that someone else wore it or crashed in it.

Fit is 100% important and have a good helmet regardless of cost is important. The actual construction of the helmet is going to matter more than just vent holes as channeling that airflow is key. My ABUS Gamechanger was not heavily ventilated yet felt very cool because they designed basically forced air cooling and channels in it so at the right angles it would really do the trick. However venting is good and a lighter weight helmet will help as well. Not noticing you are wearing a helmet as much will help greatly in overall feel which will help on the sweating end as well.

In terms of MIPS or no MIPS all my helmets are currently MIPS-less not because it is a bad just because I don't think it is as crucial the right helmet that fits and is comfortable that you have actually tried on like a normal person not some return based stuff. If the right helmet that fits has a MIPS option great if not go for the helmet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.