Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram chainring on Shimano GRX

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 07:58 AM
ve9vic

Bikes: giant cypress 2013, Panorama Forillon 2023

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Does SRAM 80 BCD chainring fit on my GRX RX600-11 chainring, inner are both 80 BCD.
I like to get a 26T, but shimano doesn't make any with 80 BCD. I look at white industries, it is easy to get the chainrings you need ,but I would have to change the crank also, expensive. Thanks

Last edited by ve9vic; 03-10-24 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-10-24, 11:42 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
I would assume "no". Shimano bolts are not evenly spaced. Check maybe Praxis.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-10-24, 08:12 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Also, your rear derailleur likely isn't going to handle the additional capacity you are adding going from a 30T to 26T small ring. You would then have a full 20T difference between big and small rings. I'm also not sure how the front derailleur would do shifting that, but might be just fine.

Since you obviously are looking for more low gearing, consider putting on a larger rear cassette. Assuming what you have is an 11-34, going to an 11-40, would get you a little more low end than switching from a 30T to 26T small ring. Some people have made this work just adjusting the B-screw on the rear derailleur to the extreme. Others have used a Wolftooth road link. This just lowers the derailleur allowing it to handle the large diameter rear cog. But does nothing concerning rear derailleur capacity.

Or, as I did once, I swapped the rear derailleur for an MTB derailleur (more capacity) and used a Wolftooth TanPan to allow the GRX road shifters to run the MTB derailleur since Shimano road and MTB 11+ speed stuff uses different pull ratios. This worked very well. I think with this route you might even be able to go to an 11-42 cassette, but again, you got to watch out for rear derailleur capacity.
Likes For Mtracer: