Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 1mm spacer for 10sp cassettes - when is it needed?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 1mm spacer for 10sp cassettes - when is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 03:54 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Obviously its better to have matching components but if you end up with spare wheel with speed incompatilbity you have to use spacers.

Does having spacers make this system more prone to some issues / more acceptable to damage / makes it shorten its (cassette / freehub) lifespan etc... or it doesnt matter?
Old 03-03-24, 04:33 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
Obviously its better to have matching components but if you end up with spare wheel with speed incompatilbity you have to use spacers.

Does having spacers make this system more prone to some issues / more acceptable to damage / makes it shorten its (cassette / freehub) lifespan etc... or it doesnt matter?
I don't see inherent issues, provided:
- No chainline issues with front chainrings; Probably not as that is a small spacer. But, not only can you also space out the right side external bottom bracket bearing, I discovered the spacer is the exact same one as for the cassette (at least a standard 7/8/9 cassette), the inner and outer diameters are the same. I kid you not. However this can reduce the left crank arm clamp length on the shaft (assuming hollowtech II style), unless your crank can accommodate a 70/73mm shell and the existing BB shell is only 68mm, so plenty of room for spacer(s).
- Cassette should not be excessively close to right dropout, as its outward position is limited by the lockring, the spacers are to accommodate that.
- Inboard, there is a bigger gap into which a chain can drop between the large cog and the spokes, chewing up the latter; I am reformed and have begun reinstalling spoke protector discs on all my bikes (tasteful clear plastic ones, just large enough for the largest cog).
Old 03-03-24, 11:43 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts

No, there are no issues with having spacers. The gap created is smaller than the gap freewheels had, and that gap should never be an issue because your rear derailleur low stop prevents the chain from falling into the spokes.

Not having enough spacers causes all sorts of problems and damage.
Old 03-03-24, 04:22 PM
utoner34

In any case, I will have to re-index he rear gears after adding spacer?
Old 03-03-24, 07:38 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
In any case, I will have to re-index he rear gears after adding spacer?
Definitely.
Old 03-04-24, 04:49 AM
utoner34

What about limit screws?
Old 03-04-24, 07:53 AM
zacster

Yes. You've moved the cassette over 1mm, you'll need to set the limits over by 1mm.
Old 03-13-24, 03:44 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I am asking because they look differently: (1mm spacer does not have teeth)

https://www.bike24.com/p259996.html?...1-67454825c04a

https://www.bike24.com/p2126329.html

I am not sure if 1mm linked spacer if the correct one.
Try it and it should be obvious (in that it either matters or it does not matter). Not being facetious, just how I approach it every time (all my bikes are on 10sp still and I mix and match cogs to build custom cassettes so how many spacers and in which order can vary).
Old 03-13-24, 03:48 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Canker

since somebody bumped it I went and looked and still have pics of the funky situation I was in. You can see the extra tall ridges on the funky all aluminum freehub body and how the notches in the 10 speed tiagra aren't as deep as the ones in the 105 so the tiagra wouldn't fit. The tiagra would only fit over the smaller ridged section at the start of the freehub body.
Ah the good old first gen Shimano road 10 speed. Only took 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace cassettes, so the 28t is the biggest cog you'll ever fit without filing down the ridges.

Last edited by tFUnK; 03-13-24 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 06:26 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Ah the good old first been Shimano road 10 speed. Only took 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace cassettes, so the 28t is the biggest cog you'll ever fit without filing down the ridges.
It's just the Dura Ace wheel.
Old 03-13-24, 07:00 AM
zacster

The other day I put my bike back on the trainer after riding outside in the nice weather, and I noticed this small u-shaped part on the trainer mat. I figured it came off the trainer somewhere and put it on my trainer table and forgot about it because everything was working. It couldn't have been more than .2mm thick. Yesterday was another nice day so I put the wheel back on and went on a 20 mile ride, but it was really frustrating because I couldn't get my derailleur to go into the largest cog. I thought to stop and maybe adjust, but I didn't want to bother with it as the next largest cog was the same as I had as the largest for years, 13-29 currently vs. 13-26 Campy. And besides, in NYC there are no hills that even require going onto the small chainring. As I'm riding it dawned on me where it came from, the frame's dropout, not the trainer. When I get home I take the wheel off and look, and sure enough that's what it was. I glued it back onto the frame, put the wheel on and clamped it with the QR for good contact, and took it for a quick spin to see if it worked. Bingo! That was exactly it. It now shifted perfectly again.

I tell the story just to show how little it takes to get shifting perfect, or to throw it off. Every spacer means something. When I thought about it I realized shifting on the trainer was slightly off, but I attributed it to the Shimagnolo cassette I built up. But even that cassette had shifted perfectly in the 5 years or so I've used it that way. I haven't put it back on the trainer to try it there because I expect to go outside again today.
Old 03-13-24, 09:08 PM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Kontact
It's just the Dura Ace wheel.
Ultegra as well.