Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Photobucket isn't working on the forum...

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 11:12 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've returned to the forum after a few year's absence. I'm finding lots of images don't show up that originate with Photobucket. I'm using a Mac and Safari 11.0. Is there anything I can do to fix this - or is it something to do with Photobucket and can't be fixed?

TIA!

DG

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-14-18, 12:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There are several threads on this.

Photobucket used to encourage free web hosting.

Sometime last year Photobucket chose to break all the links (or charge users a few hundred dollars per year to keep their formerly free accounts active).

There are addons for several of the browers that will circumvent the change. Search for an addon for your browser.
Old 03-14-18, 12:52 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I've returned to the forum after a few year's absence. I'm finding lots of images don't show up that originate with Photobucket. I'm using a Mac and Safari 11.0. Is there anything I can do to fix this - or is it something to do with Photobucket and can't be fixed?

TIA!

DG
Photobucket stopped allowing free image hosting last summer and broke over a billion image links across the internet.
Old 03-14-18, 01:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I use imgur.com to host images that I post here. There's no guarantee that imgur won't do what photobucket did and disallow that kind of use, but I think it would be a bad business decision for them to do so.
Old 03-14-18, 01:11 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Photobucket stopped allowing free image hosting last summer and broke over a billion image links across the internet.
Thanks for the info. I was afraid it was something like that. Poo!

Old 03-15-18, 05:50 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Soon we will have very easy uploading from your phone or computer directly to forum posts, which automatically upload to your BF gallery as well (so you can use US as a host if you like). April...
Old 03-16-18, 11:03 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
Soon we will have very easy uploading from your phone or computer directly to forum posts, which automatically upload to your BF gallery as well (so you can use US as a host if you like). April...
Yay! I just tried to upload a pic today from my computer, but the only option I saw was one that asked for a URL. Tried using that to link to my FB account where I had uploaded the pic, but that didn't work.

Can we no longer just upload from our computer, or was I doing it wrong?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out my mistake. Had to upload as an attachment I see.

Old 04-08-18, 03:05 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You will have to move to a different service such as Flickr. Photobucket was outdated anyway. The interface sucked and they never bothered to update it.
Old 04-08-18, 12:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist

They placed limits on third party hosting and that's what you see. If you are using Firefox there is an add-on for that, I have no idea about IE or Edge or even Chrome. You should look for something like 'Photobucket fix' when you search Mozilla for add-ons, and some may already have been rendered useless so you may need to try a few.

The image is still available but PB will replace it with that 'speedometer' notice otherwise.

And YES, Photobucket is overrun with ads that you must deal with before you see the image(s), some which may be malicious. They have become JUNK.
Old 04-08-18, 01:18 PM
CliffordK

That'll be good.

I haven't used the gallery.

I did use the attachment organization utility before it was removed a couple of years ago. I had many of my images sorted by what they were, so I could locate previously posted images and repost. Now, it is a matter of hunting.
Old 04-08-18, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

If you are working on images, a few comments:
  • Image sizes. I generally resize my images before posting. BF used to manipulate image sizes down to 100 kb which was a bit restrictive. However, I accidentally posted a 972 kb photo recently, and BF resized it to 1.5 MB for some reason. Anyway, somewhere around 200 kb to 500 kb is probably a good max image size. https://www.bikeforums.net/20218627-post18.html
  • [ATTACH]<photo number>[/ATTACH] works to place an image anywhere in a post, but has to be manually entered. I think before the "downgrade", there used to be an option to enter the tags into the post.
  • If one quotes post with BF images in a new post, if they are attached without the ATTACH as above, they don't show up in the quote. If they are attached using ATTACH, the ATTACH is quoted, but the images don't show up in the quote. One must manually put in [IMG]<link>[/IMG] to get the images to show up in the quoted message. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/20271014-post55.html
  • Images posted before the downgrade 2 years ago are duplicated in the forum posts. I don't quite know why, but it seems to have to do with how images were handled with "attached" and also inserted into the text inline. https://www.bikeforums.net/17274852-post11.html
  • Google doesn't index images on Bike Forums using Forum software. I have a feeling that this is because of something Bike Forums does to prevent hot-linking. However, I find that searching by images is the quickest way to search, so this makes Bike Forums less user-friendly.
  • The view attachments under the Control Panel works. However, I never get thumbnails anymore. I thought I got them at one time. I can't say if this is a config issue on my end, or with BikeForums, but it is a pain. https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.p...ditattachments See below for the old manager which was MUCH BETTER.
  • Below is the Photo Upload Manager from before the "downgrade". It generally worked fairly well. A bit clunky with a few things such as colors of the forward/back buttons. I think it actually worked for a couple of weeks after the "downgrade", then disappeared, so the software may be compatible with the current forum software.

Old 04-08-18, 07:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

What you have to remember is that this is the corporate version used on dozens of Internet Brands properties. It has been optimized for Internet Brands' sites and needs. And after just over two years it feels customary using it. We have features that are useful that no v.4 users have (and 4.x.x is the most common form vB is in out there.

So it SEEMS like a downgrade but it's only an optimization numbered like a regression, savvy?
Old 05-20-18, 06:55 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome To The New Photobucket!

According to the Photobucket web site:
Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

Today, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting.
Here is their new pricing plan.

Old 05-20-18, 08:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Wait until the batteries go dead on that toy and the real price returns. Merry Christmas, and forget it if anybody uses your images or you wish to link. Right back to square one.