Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sobering News for All of Us

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 09:23 AM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts

This article is disheartening and scary as hell https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...-shows/385648/

The US's narcissistic "**** everybody else, it's all about ME and screw everyone else's life, liberty & happiness" culture continues to grow unabated. Please stay safe out there and if anyone in your circles engages in this kind of behavior please tell them to wake the **** up before they end up killing someone.
John

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-28-23 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Please do not change the spelling of censored words
Old 04-28-23, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It took an article you read to be scared? I ride my bike and drive a car, I've seen over the last few decades how more distracted people are and how many have no clue about sharing the road even with other cars and motor vehicles much less any on a bicycle that might not be noticed when they are looking at the cute video their buds sent them in a text message. Or the numerous people that think you don't have to stop when the light turns red if the other cars with the green light aren't in the way yet.

I have most of my issues with other drivers when I'm driving my car. Seems like most of the idiots are on the roads I have to drive on. I actually feel like I'm more likely to be in involved in a wreck when in my car. The roads I ride my bike on have a much lower incidence of drivers being crazy. Though they are there too. So I try to stay aware.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-28-23, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
This article is disheartening and scary as hell https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...-shows/385648/

The US's narcissistic "**** everybody else, it's all about ME and screw everyone else's life, liberty & happiness" culture continues to grow unabated. Please stay safe out there and if anyone in your circles engages in this kind of behavior please tell them to wake the **** up before they end up killing someone.
John
There’s the Advocacy & Safety Forum for stuff like this.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-28-23, 09:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I'm discouraged by the virulent spread of potty-mouth on this forum.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-28-23, 10:24 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I had a pickup pull a foot and a half into the bike lane and miss me inches yesterday afternoon. There was a faster cyclist behind me. When he passed I asked it he thought that was intentional. He said yes; did the same thing to him. I wasn't thinking fast enough to catch his license numbed.

This happened on the old, beautiful parkway out of down town Portland; a road that that has the most attentive and polite drivers in Portland. Been my mainstay for 25 years and I've never seen a pass remotely that close on the road before. (I've ridden it something like 5,000 times.).
Old 04-28-23, 11:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Laws against distracted driving don't work. People continue to break these laws...There should be a law which would force all auto manufacturers and drivers to have a software installed which prevents cell phone usage while driving. Another serious distraction is that silly stupid infotainment screen right on the dash board which keeps getting bigger and bigger with each model year, there is absolutely no need or purpose for it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-28-23, 11:48 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Distracted driving needs to be treated like drunk driving. Fines, jail time, and suspended license. Killing someone on a repeated offense counts as murder. To me, the biggest problem in this country is that we don’t revoke privileges when people abuse them. Don’t complain to me that you now have to take a bus/cab/bike to work when your decisions made someone else never get to do anything ever again.
Old 04-28-23, 11:49 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
At least an F bomb never crippled or killed anyone.
Old 04-28-23, 12:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Distracted driving needs to be treated like drunk driving.
The evidence suggests that drunk driving laws have very low impact on drunk driving fatalities. Here is just one example of such evidence. Part of the problem with DUI laws is that people accurately perceive a relatively low probability of being caught; I would suppose that the probability would be even lower for distracted driving, since it's pretty easy to put away your phone (or stop fiddling with the radio) when you see the cop in your rearview mirror.
Old 04-28-23, 12:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
The evidence suggests that drunk driving laws have very low impact on drunk driving fatalities. Here is just one example of such evidence. Part of the problem with DUI laws is that people accurately perceive a relatively low probability of being caught; I would suppose that the probability would be even lower for distracted driving, since it's pretty easy to put away your phone (or stop fiddling with the radio) when you see the cop in your rearview mirror.
Yes I understand that, but at least suspending the license will prevent that particular person from harming someone during that time. Less is less.

On a personal note, had they suspended the license of the woman who killed my student (and his sister, and sent the parents to the hospital only to wake up and find out all their children are dead) the first time she drove drunk, it’s highly possible that the student would still be in my class today. Maybe she would have gone right back to driving drunk after the suspension, but she would have at least had less time behind the wheel to take those risks. I bet she still gets her license back after she serves whatever sentence they pass.
Old 04-28-23, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Alcohol is only reported as being involved in 30% of the accidents. It only has to exceed the limits to be listed as a drunk driving accident whether or not the accident would have happened even without the alcohol. So my question is why are we not worried about figuring out why the other 70% of the accidents are happening and doing something about that. Addressing just 10% of that 70 percent will save more than twice the number people than addressing 10% of the current drunk drivers.

That said I am in no way condoning driving after consuming alcohol.
Old 04-28-23, 01:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Iride01
Alcohol is only reported as being involved in 30% of the accidents. It only has to exceed the limits to be listed as a drunk driving accident whether or not the accident would have happened even without the alcohol. So my question is why are we not worried about figuring out why the other 70% of the accidents are happening and doing something about that. Addressing just 10% of that 70 percent will save more than twice the number people than addressing 10% of the current drunk drivers.

Just spitballing here, but you seem to be suggesting that the other 70% is all caused by one or maybe two factors. If there are many factors involved, and none of them account for more than 30%, the the drunk driving would still be the top factor to consider. But you’re still right that the first step would be to determine that.

Also, I suspect a huge chunk of that 70% is due to sheer stupidity, and we aren’t ready as a society to address that properly (tongue firmly in cheek).

Last edited by urbanknight; 04-28-23 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 04-28-23, 01:19 PM
Koyote

Yes I understand that, but at least suspending the license will prevent that particular person from harming someone during that time. Less is less.

On a personal note, had they suspended the license of the woman who killed my student (and his sister, and sent the parents to the hospital only to wake up and find out all their children are dead) the first time she drove drunk, it’s highly possible that the student would still be in my class today. Maybe she would have gone right back to driving drunk after the suspension, but she would have at least had less time behind the wheel to take those risks. I bet she still gets her license back after she serves whatever sentence they pass.
Evidence also suggests that the suspension likely wouldn't have stopped the miscreant from driving. But there's no way to know in any particular case.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-23, 01:24 PM
Koyote

"We" are doing plenty of things about that. Have a look at this site - particularly the colorful graphic just half a screen down from the top. Safety equipment - some government mandated, some offered at auto manufacturers' initiative - has drastically reduced auto accident fatality rates. Add in advancements in road design (e.g., roundabouts) and other technological advancements, too.

But still, your suggestion is an odd one. "Alcohol is only reported as being involved in 30% of accidents." Only 30%? That's a lot. If we really wanted to get serious about it, every new car sold in the US would come with a breathalyzer built into the ignition system.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-23, 03:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
For every 1 individual who gets busted for cell phone usage while driving another 300 000 individuals get away with it on daily basis. Laws don't work and there needs to be a different solution implemented.
Old 04-28-23, 03:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
For every 1 individual who gets busted for cell phone usage while driving another 300 000 individuals get away with it on daily basis.
The best statistics are those pulled from one's buttocks.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-28-23, 03:35 PM
jolly_codger

It took an article you read to be scared?
No; the article just makes riding adjacent to vehicular traffic scarier.
Old 04-28-23, 03:36 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts

You do realize that a license is not needed to enable one to drive a vehicle and the same is true regarding insurance. Being locked up in jail generally prevents one from driving and hurting others.
Old 04-28-23, 03:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Back before the mad mothers got organized drunk driving accounted for 50% of the accidents. So the awareness and enforcement changes they brought about has made a difference. But perhaps to get lower numbers for drunk driving will involve things we probably won't want to do or things that techology that is too expensive or won't be implemented in old vehicles that will still be allowed on the road.

That's partly why I'm mad at the mad mothers that said they didn't want to include distracted driving in their advocacy program. Seems to me that similar laws and emphasis on awareness would have a more affect to drop those statistics too over time. Maybe get the same 20% drop that has come about for drunk driving that went from 50% to 30% after the mad mothers and other groups got vocal with their government representatives.
Old 04-28-23, 04:13 PM
jolly_codger

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Reminds me of what Tony Campolo once said:
I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a ****. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said "****" than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-28-23 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass forum censor.
Likes For jolly_codger:
Old 04-28-23, 04:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
You do realize that a license is not needed to enable one to drive a vehicle and the same is true regarding insurance. Being locked up in jail generally prevents one from driving and hurting others.
Yes, I agree with you on that and would prefer harsher sentences for the first offense, but obviously many people disagree. With that in mind, if someone driving on a suspended license gets caught doing something else - Speeding, running a stop, failing to signal, etc. - they will then be arrested and sent to jail. If they just get a slap on the wrist and keep their license, then they would just get a ticket and continue on their way.
Old 04-28-23, 04:29 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
So, 'General Cycling' in teh Biek Formz has now become the 'Distracted Driving/Criminal Justice Reform' sub-forum?
Old 04-28-23, 05:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
They'll get around to moving it to A&S eventually. Don't know why it's so hard for folks to figure out where to post.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-28-23, 06:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from General to A&S

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-28-23, 08:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I have a good friend that works for a Dutch company based stateside so they can be close to Intel. Management from the Netherlands comes over periodically with their International Driving Licenses and EVERY year for the four years, someone from the Netherlands has died in a fatal crash in Portland or its suburbs. They only know about the last four years because that is as long as they have been there. Who knows how far back the dying goes? Last year three from Holland died in a single crash involving an F350 and the compact rental that is typically used by the business travelers. Alcohol is never a factor. Aggression and lack of judgement are what take European drivers by complete surprise when they drive here. They simply are not used to the risks our drivers take, the late left turns into oncoming traffic, overtaking on the right ... ... it's all par for the course here and we're used to it.

Not every driver is glued to a Smartphone. That doesn't mean they can't do something totally boneheaded and fatal even though they are fully engaged. The only reason why less than 1000 cyclists (much less) are killed every year is because compared to any other form of transportation, cycling in the U.S. is dead last. A distant dead last. It really isn't far fetched to say that cycling is not a significant form of transportation. No one should ever be killed in a car collision here. Countries with 100x the cycling traffic have years where no one at all is killed in a crash. Maybe one day we will get tired of losing the population of a good sized city every year so senselessly but I'm not holding my breath.
Likes For Leisesturm:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.