Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

When to Replace a Helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 12:23 PM
emdub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Back in October, I was turning onto a path via a curb cut, but I was going too fast and my front wheel slid out from under me. I scraped my hand and chin, and my knee was bruised and swollen. As I landed on my shoulder, my head flopped to the side and gently *tapped* the concrete.

If I hadn’t been wearing a helmet, my head would not have touched the ground. The force with which my head and helmet touched the ground felt equivalent to bumping your head on a desk as you bend down to pick up a pencil--you’re surprised, but not hurt. I didn’t lose consciousness or have neck pain, and my helmet has no visible scratches or scuffs.

I’ve heard and read helmets should be replaced after a crash--but what’s the degree of severity? Are there any rules-of-thumb e.g. if the helmet was scuffed from the impact, get a new helmet? The force with which my head touched the ground didn’t feel hard or severe, but is that because the helmet absorbed the impact? Do I need a new helmet?
Old 06-15-23, 12:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
It is your head, if you think a helmet you have crashed in is safe, then that is on you. I wouldn't wear a helmet that has been impacted. If I had an x-ray machine I might change my tune but I don't have that kind of money or need for radiation.
Old 06-15-23, 02:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
While there's no gaurranty, one should feel free to use some common sense and judgement. For example, I wonder how many people who drop their helmets, immediately replace them.

Obviously, if there's visible damage, like a crush zone in the foam, or a crack or deep scratch in the shell, one would err to the side of caution. However, absent some evidence of damage, one should be able to assume that whatever happened falls within the area of general wear and tear that helmets are built to withstand.
Old 06-15-23, 02:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If you see damage, replace it. As for anything else, assess whether you think it worth risking. There are some good helmets out there for not a lot of money. Well worth it compared to the cost of a visit to the ER.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-16-23, 08:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
If your head is in the helmet when it hits the ground, replace it. It’s done its job. If you drop your helmet and your head isn’t in it, keep it. If your drop your helmet with your head in it…well you have a whole different set of problems.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-16-23, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
how's your shoulder?
Old 06-16-23, 11:26 AM
emdub

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how's your shoulder?
Better, thank you for asking. My knee took most of the impact and nearly eight months after the fall, my knee is still stiff and l have a pea-sized lump on my kneecap.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If your drop your helmet with your head in it…well you have a whole different set of problems.
Excellent advice. I'm going to write this on the side of my helmet.
Likes For emdub:
Old 06-16-23, 11:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by emdub
my knee is still stiff and l have a pea-sized lump on my kneecap
go get it drained & maybe get advice about physical therapy, meaning certain stretches & exercises
I had my elbow drained twice last year & now it's fine. fun, fun
Old 06-16-23, 08:11 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
There are some good helmets out there for not a lot of money.
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but does anyone have recommendations on this? Of course, it depends on what you consider "not a lot of money." And, I'm nowhere near helmet shopping soon, as far as I know, but the day will come again...
Old 06-17-23, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but does anyone have recommendations on this? Of course, it depends on what you consider "not a lot of money." And, I'm nowhere near helmet shopping soon, as far as I know, but the day will come again...
A lot of people seem to trust these people. At least they go to a good length to discuss how they test and things to look for. Or at least they did years ago when I read their stuff. Haven't looked at them in quite a while. As well they seem to be independent of any particular company that could lead to bias. But the difference between the helmets they rate as low isn't that much compared to the helmets that rate high IMO.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

There are quite a few that are 5 star rated helmets at $80 or even less. And likely a lot of 4 star for less. As I said before and IMO, the difference between the high and low ratings isn't really much and the difference between a 4 star and a 5 star much less.

Regardless, any helmet is better than no helmet. I see people riding bikes with their helmets hanging on their bars. I'm not sure why, but I guess they intend to put them on just before they decide to have an accident. I've never known about when I'm going to have a accident until I'm already in the process of having one.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-17-23 at 08:30 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-17-23, 03:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
If your head is in the helmet when it hits the ground, replace it. It’s done its job. If you drop your helmet and your head isn’t in it, keep it. If your drop your helmet with your head in it…well you have a whole different set of problems.
What about when your helmet is dangling from the handlebar when the wind knocks the bike over? J/k, it was very visibly cracked on both sides; took it yesterday to the LBS I bought it from, and the owner kindly gave me a great deal on a new one. First time I ever actually destroyed a helmet, despite several (low speed minor) crashes, and my head wasn't even in it. I'm so lucky.
Old 06-20-23, 08:52 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The last few falls I don't think my head had actually touched the ground. A few times I was in the snow and the last time it was in a bike lane. I have review my video to see if it did.

You can see that video too.

I've had that helmet for over nine years. But on father's day, my family got me a new helmet. So I transferred my camera to it and now have to do several test runs to adjust its aim.
Old 06-21-23, 09:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Daniel4
You can see that video too.
at about the :46 mark, what caused the fall?
Old 06-21-23, 12:29 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Korina
What about when your helmet is dangling from the handlebar when the wind knocks the bike over? J/k, it was very visibly cracked on both sides; took it yesterday to the LBS I bought it from, and the owner kindly gave me a great deal on a new one. First time I ever actually destroyed a helmet, despite several (low speed minor) crashes, and my head wasn't even in it. I'm so lucky.
If the helmet is obviously damaged, replace it. If you suspect that the helmet is damaged, replace it. Simply dropping it on the ground likely won’t damage it but, if it does, replace the helmet. Honestly if you are still rocking a Bell Biker, please, please, please, replace it.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-21-23, 12:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

If the helmet is obviously damaged, replace it. If you suspect that the helmet is damaged, replace it. Simply dropping it on the ground likely won’t damage it but, if it does, replace the helmet. Honestly if you are still rocking a Bell Biker, please, please, please, replace it.
Oh my giddy aunt! No Target Bell helmets in our house. Mine's a Bontrager Solstice in very hi-viz yellow (as much as I'd prefer purple, give 'em no excuses). I replaced the helmet before last precisely because I'd dropped it a few too many times over the years and I no longer trusted it. I also understand that the helmet is for when I fall over (which I've done a number of times, with no head impact, luckily) not for getting plastered by a RAM 1500. Now, if I can just remember to park properly in the wind...
Old 06-21-23, 01:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Lumps of sand.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-21-23, 10:58 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Korina
Oh my giddy aunt! No Target Bell helmets in our house. Mine's a Bontrager Solstice in very hi-viz yellow (as much as I'd prefer purple, give 'em no excuses). I replaced the helmet before last precisely because I'd dropped it a few too many times over the years and I no longer trusted it. I also understand that the helmet is for when I fall over (which I've done a number of times, with no head impact, luckily) not for getting plastered by a RAM 1500. Now, if I can just remember to park properly in the wind...
Bell makes several helmets that are just as good as your Bontrager and several that are more expensive. They aren’t “Target” helmets…not that there is a problem with a helmet from Target as they all have to meet the same safety standard as do the Bontrager.

That said, the Bell Biker I was referring to was the 1975 Bell Biker bicycle helmet, which was one of the first, if not the first, bicycle helmet. Some people are still riding either it or the Biker II. Those need to be replaced.

Old 06-22-23, 11:50 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Bell makes several helmets that are just as good as your Bontrager and several that are more expensive. They aren’t “Target” helmets…not that there is a problem with a helmet from Target as they all have to meet the same safety standard as do the Bontrager.

That said, the Bell Biker I was referring to was the 1975 Bell Biker bicycle helmet, which was one of the first, if not the first, bicycle helmet. Some people are still riding either it or the Biker II. Those need to be replaced.
Ah! That makes more sense, thanks. No, I don't keep helmets for half a century.
Old 06-22-23, 11:58 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
the Bell Biker I was referring to was the 1975 Bell Biker bicycle helmet, which was one of the first, if not the first, bicycle helmet. Some people are still riding either it or the Biker II. Those need to be replaced.
I had that from 1978 to 1993, when it was stolen in Cambridge, UK. I think I had never cleaned the pads or straps in that time period, and was amazed someone would go to the trouble to swipe that festering thing.
Old 06-22-23, 08:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 3,032 Posts
About every five years or when the pads wear out.
Old 06-23-23, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I had that from 1978 to 1993, when it was stolen in Cambridge, UK. I think I had never cleaned the pads or straps in that time period, and was amazed someone would go to the trouble to swipe that festering thing.
None of my helmet ever lasted that long. I usually bashed them in every 3 to 5 years so they get replaced fairly often. My head, on the other hand…

Just replace a helmet that I tried to use as a brake. I don’t recommend it.

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-23-23 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-23-23, 09:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Here is an "ethics" question:

I have the helmet (and bike) of my kid's 18yo friend in the garage. He crashed. I went over the bike fairly thoroughly and paid to have it inspected and the wheel re-trued. His helmet has a big crack in the (replaceable) jaw guard. He was out cold, and spend 6 or 8 hours in the ER, before being discharged. He is in total denial that he was out cold, and we are all fairly sure he will keep riding with the same helmet, rather than replacing it. The helmet itself (as opposed to the jaw guard) appears intact (Giro Switchblade MIPS).

Do we give it back to him as is, or lose it, or cut the straps, or what? He is 18, but his judgement perhaps is lagging in development. I don't want to be too heavy-handed, but I also don't want to see a repeat, or worse. I could go buy him a new one, but I think it goes for $250 to $300, and I would rather he gets a new one via crash replacement (if applicable) or something different (hopefully better).
Old 06-23-23, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Here is an "ethics" question:

I have the helmet (and bike) of my kid's 18yo friend in the garage. He crashed. I went over the bike fairly thoroughly and paid to have it inspected and the wheel re-trued. His helmet has a big crack in the (replaceable) jaw guard. He was out cold, and spend 6 or 8 hours in the ER, before being discharged. He is in total denial that he was out cold, and we are all fairly sure he will keep riding with the same helmet, rather than replacing it. The helmet itself (as opposed to the jaw guard) appears intact (Giro Switchblade MIPS).

Do we give it back to him as is, or lose it, or cut the straps, or what? He is 18, but his judgement perhaps is lagging in development. I don't want to be too heavy-handed, but I also don't want to see a repeat, or worse. I could go buy him a new one, but I think it goes for $250 to $300, and I would rather he gets a new one via crash replacement (if applicable) or something different (hopefully better).
If he was out cold, I’d suspect that something more than just the jaw guard got hit. Hollywood may put someone’s lights out with a right hook to the jaw but real life doesn’t work that way. If he hasn’t seen the helmet yet, I’d “find” another crack in the top of the helmet. Perhaps if you used it as a step stool, that might help. Just sayin’

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-23-23, 10:35 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Lumps of sand.
RATS!... Its "RAVEL"...

https://pavementinteractive.org/refe...sses/raveling/
Old 06-23-23, 11:06 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by zandoval
RATS!... Its "RAVEL"...

Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.