Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Distracted driving study

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Distracted driving study

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 01:01 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
People always as me why I am using my phone and computer as much as I do. (In general....not while driving....)

I tell them: you have (even more than) the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS at your disposal, with all kinds of knowledge, humor, science and god knows what else. feast your eyes and mind!

If folks would use the NET this way, they wouldn't be looking at their phones when they are having dinner, they'd be able to have nice conversations about food, current events, yadda yadda.
Old 08-25-23, 01:32 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
This trope again. The worst distracted drivers I continue to observe on a daily basis are senior citizens who are straight up phone addicted. I watch them daily at stop lights, and continue looking down after the light turns green. Lots o' wrinkles on their faces - it's easy to see them because the phone lights up their faces for me. The younger people seem to be a bit more self-aware that it's not cool, but they do it anyway. They tend to look up more from the phone screen (possibly scouting for cops?). The seniors just look totally disconnected from the world around them.

Let me tell you. It's really really fun driving the two hours to another city to go to dinner with my family once or twice a year. And instead of asking me about my life, all four of them - my parents and two siblings sit at the table staring down at phone screens. They can. not. be. pulled. away. Nothing seems to work.

No amount of shaming works on them. Five minutes after I bring it up - they are back to their phone screens once they finish the next thought. Age has absolutely zero to do with this problem. My siblings are 25 and 30 respectively. None of my 30yo cousins engage in this type of behavior. But plenty of college aged individuals do - including both times I was hit by distracted drivers. This is a problem of individuals who voluntarily surrender any semblance of willpower over to an algorithm that gives them short sweet dopamine rushes of likes and indignant rage. It takes exercising willpower and self-awareness to overcome what is becoming an addiction to many. I fall into the trap on occasion but never while driving. It's tough when it's on us all the time and in our faces - but it definitely isn't an age thing.
You are correct. To compound the problem is the old men are driving their $80k retirement pickups that they couldn't parallel park or back between the lines if their lives depended on it. Yes, they are on FB so much the children look for other sites.
Old 08-25-23, 08:47 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I would like to believe that its not possible to multi task while driving but I did it daily flying airplanes in the soup. Flying on instruments and radios while talking to control on a radio, all without almost crashing.
I was taught with a formal program to multi task in an airplane but it took a serious commitment and a lot of time to do it safely.
Old 08-25-23, 09:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
To compound the "problem", there are people who extrapolate from the foibles of dummies in their own family on to the behavior of the general population, or others who fabricate or repeat dumbbell stereotypes as representative of entire segments of the general population. Yes there is a problem but the one being addressed in this thread is ignorant bias.
Old 08-26-23, 10:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
This trope again. The worst distracted drivers I continue to observe on a daily basis are senior citizens who are straight up phone addicted.
I'm not certain seniors are worse that others, especially "soccer moms" who helicopter over their kids every breath, even when the kids aren't present, and firmly believe that no good decision could EVER be crafted without their "all knowing" input.

As for seniors, we have NO excuse for this behavior. I'm 65 yo. I have a smart phone that I fk around with way more than I should. But I grew up in an age without portable phones. I've cycle toured solo across the USA FIVE TIMES without a phone. In a sense, I hate being tethered to the rest of the world 24-7. That said, when I go out to eat with my wife, or other friends of hers (I don't have any of my own **) I leave my gahdam phone AT HOME. If some "dire emergency" crops up I'll either deal with it or use her phone. And thank GOD my wife very rarely calls or texts me unless it is REALLY URGENT to do so. So when I am actually with her, i have no use for a phone.

**Well, I have a few friends here at BF but they NEVER CALL ME! My kind of friends! I didn't want to slight anyone here but can't blame anyone for not claiming me as a friend in a public forum.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-26-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-26-23, 11:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I'm not certain seniors are worse that others, especially "soccer moms" who helicopter over their kids every breath, even when the kids aren't present, and firmly believe that no good decision could EVER be crafted without their "all knowing" input.
Just curious, where do you encounter all these distracted phone wielding helicoptering soccer moms and learn about their beliefs on raising their children - the internet?
Old 08-27-23, 03:26 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Certainly not a society I'd wish live in.
I'll take that over motor vehicle anarchy and epidemic lawlessness behind the wheel! (Yeah, yeah, "Those who trade safety for freedom get neither" or other such gibberish.)

I don't see much of a difference between the police issuing a citation and a citizen doing same. The problem is, we have no police issuing citations. There's no traffic enforcement. Add to that the fact that people don't make enough money in America (44% of Americans earn $10.22/hr. or less.), giving a little economic incentive to improve behavior behind the wheel is a pretty effective way to address the problem.

Oh and I JUST learned that the owner of River City Bicycles in Portland, OR was nailed by a red light-running driver in June. Multiple injuries put him in the ICU for two weeks. Just one more almost fatal data point in the endless data points of drivers injuring, maiming, and killing other road users.

It's beyond an outrage at this point. There are MANY causes for driver anti-social behavior on our roads. I pin it directly on the problem of failed economic opportunity. Basically, when a population is struggling economically, they don't tend to have much time for doing things well or right, following rules, regulations and laws. And just look to other societies and this is obvious: lawless places like Somalia where poverty reigns, government is failed, and crime is rampant. Pollution, disease, crime, you name it, society is falling apart. Then look to prosperous nations with strong social democratic principles, you tend to have law-abiding, happy people.

The US is quickly falling from first-world status to something like Somalia. Our growing homeless camps are proof. Egregious driver behavior is another data point supporting the demise of American society.

But these things cannot be fixed overnight. Repairing the decimation of the American working class will take generations. Until then, we need to stop the killing on our roads. WAY MORE emphasis on road safety and enforcement is so badly needed. And why not pay concerned citizens to help police the situation?

You call it a "tattle-tale." I call it "whistleblowing." And remember, if YOU don't want to participate, YOU don't have to!
Old 08-27-23, 03:49 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
"To compound the problem is the old men are driving their $80k retirement pickups" shows remarkable bigotry. You do not like old men in general or old men driving new pickup trucks that you cannot afford?

It used to bother me when I was a teenage and on bike rides there would be at least one middle aged man with a pot belly, often smoking, and sitting on an Italian racing bike that cost 4 times what I could afford to pay for a bike. But I got over it.

I see women putting on makeup on their morning commute and men and women driving with one hand while holding a cup of coffee or a hamburger or a cigarette, and not able to see their left side mirror when merging with traffic. Cell phones have made the situation much more commonplace and although there are hands free laws that have been on the books for many years in my state it is never ever enforced by the LEOs.

Two things that would help a great deal would be to have the cell phones shut down messaging when traveling at speeds greater than 20 mph. My cars have not allowed me to enter a destination in the navigation system unless the vehicle was at a complete stop. Easy to do the same for cell phones.

The second thing is to use traffic cameras to spot people using a cell phone which is easy to do. A computer can scan images of motorists and detect a person holding a cell phone with present technology and 100% accuracy. The cameras are already photographing people who run red lights and recording their license plate information. If a motorist received a $1,000 fine they would quickly spend the $15 to buy a hands-free earbud.

Until someone attempts to fix the problem I avoid 90% of the highways around my house as the motorists are invariably speeding and not paying attention to anything on the road.
Old 08-27-23, 04:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's both impossible and pointless to try to correlate distracted drivers with any demographic group.

This issue isn't about demographic groups or classes of drivers, it's about individual drivers being overly distracted.

There are many contributory factors, ranging from technological changes offering new ways to be distracted, sociological factors whereby people are more used to multitasking (with various degrees of skill going up from zero), to design changes in cars themselves which tend to take eyes from the road more.

However, it's still about individual drivers. For example, while many or even most of us drive with a cell phone in the car, we are not compelled to answer while driving. Some may always answer, others never, and the rest deciding based on the conditions at the time.

What is safe to say, is that it's rising both in frequency and degree (distraction isn't binary), and is likely to continue until something changes to reverse the trend.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-27-23, 04:22 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I'm with FBinNY on this one. More "Laws" are not going to change anybody's behavior. More "Laws" just give cops another thing to ticket you for (like a tail light out or torn mudflap on a truck leading to a lethal force encounter.)

I do agree that distracted driving is a huge problem for pedestrians and cyclists, as is full self driving. I don't dislike cops, but I do not trust them. they are not there for anything remotely related to safety, their purpose is do issue a citation leading to a fine, or to gather evidence leading to your arrest, conviction an incarceration. Their primary job is to extract revenue, or shovel the chum into the great gaping maw of the criminal justice system. I do not feel one bit sorry for them, they knew what they were getting into when they pinned the badge on.

/markp
Old 08-28-23, 06:48 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just curious, where do you encounter all these distracted phone wielding helicoptering soccer moms and learn about their beliefs on raising their children - the internet?
I know a dozen, at least, personally. They are family members and their friends. Several coworkers over the years. And the little league baseball fields two blocks from my house is loaded with them, not to mention a dozen SOCCER fields 10 blocks away.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-28-23 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-28-23, 08:43 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Distracted, or narcissistic?

I've seen a significant increase in recent years of oncoming drivers straddling the center line of rural roads. It used to be a rarity. Now, it's a rare day when it doesn't happen.

I sometimes drive my car close to centerline if theres no oncoming traffic if the pavement is smoother, but quickly move right when an oncoming car appears.

I'm amazed how many folks roll right on by, right on top of the painted yellow line. Do they have a death wish? Does it never occur to them that a similar driver approaching them would cause a high speed head-on collision? Or are these just narcissists who figure it's everyone else's job to stay out of their entitled way?
Old 08-28-23, 10:17 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
There have always been horrible drivers out there, they've just found new ways to be even more horrible.
Old 08-28-23, 11:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I know a dozen, at least, personally. They are family members and their friends. Several coworkers over the years. And the little league baseball fields two blocks from my house is loaded with them, not to mention a dozen SOCCER fields 10 blocks away.
See https://www.bikeforums.net/22995856-post29.html
Old 08-28-23, 11:58 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Multiple Threats

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
There have always been horrible drivers out there, they've just found new ways to be even more horrible.
I'll make mention of vehicle-makers' propensity to add 'features' purportedly offering 'convenience' that too often add unneeded distractions to the detriment of pretty much anything around those vehicles being driven by drivers unable to avoid being easily distracted.

I barely avoided being backed into this morning on my way to work by a driver doing a three-point turn so he could park to drop his kid at school. Cars lined both sides of the street I was riding on, the intersection he turned left into (left turn made in front of me as I was cycling towards him, he turned into oncoming traffic's lane where there's a stop sign for oncoming traffic; I've often seen drivers ignoring this stop sign despite presence of cross traffic) then backed out to park at the curbside just ahead of me.

I called him out for his inattention. He said he saw me (why he stopped pointing the wrong way) and waved to me to proceed. With the sun at my back I couldn't see inside his vehicle for the glare off his dirty back window, so I stopped until he'd completed his three-point turn.

I wasn't about to ride behind a vehicle doing such a stupid - likely illegal - maneuver, whether he was waving me on or not.

(I may hang a GoPro on my helmet, see if I can interest the local PD in conditions at that point.)

Last edited by spclark; 08-29-23 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-29-23, 07:42 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
My wife and I both drive older cars without any modern features. It always confusing when I get a rental to figure out the controls on a modern car. But the lights are automatic now so as long as I can get the wipers on as needed I can ignore everything else.
Old 08-29-23, 12:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
To compound the "problem", there are people who extrapolate from the foibles of dummies in their own family on to the behavior of the general population, or others who fabricate or repeat dumbbell stereotypes as representative of entire segments of the general population. Yes there is a problem but the one being addressed in this thread is ignorant bias.
"Well man, that's like...your OPINION man." - The Dude

And the irony of your post did not escape me. Always entertaining.

"There are people who EXTRAPOLATE..." - I-Like-To-Bike