Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What Is Wrong With People?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What Is Wrong With People?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 12:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Aww did your feelings get hurt by the mean car driver who was polite enough to inform you he was trying to turn?
I don't have feelings. I have one remaining feeling It wasn't hurt by the the illegal and dangerous driving, and it certainly won't be hurt by a child on the internet.
Old 10-02-23, 12:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
It appears we have the bicyclists and the submissives. The bicyclists ride according to the law and appropriately handle themselves at intersections. When a bicyclist such as the OP posts about a maniacal psychopath acting out toward a bicyclists. The submissives start posting about how wrong he is based upon the actions of the maniacal psychopath. The submissives then explain to the bicyclists, their method of riding at an intersection. They practice hood ornament bicycle theory. They believe if they retreat in fear at every turn they will be safer.

The actions of the motorist that is referred to in this posting are not the norm by far unless you live in Florida.
It appears that we have some posters who like to use hyperbolic rhetoric and gross stereotyping to describe US vs THEM.
Old 10-02-23, 12:54 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't have feelings. I have one remaining feeling It wasn't hurt by the the illegal and dangerous driving, and it certainly won't be hurt by a child on the internet.
Which feeling is that?

Go talk more **** to car drivers trying to do you no harm, I hope you never do it to the wrong person.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 10-02-23, 12:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
In Arizona, the applicable statutes are ARS 28-815 (bicycles to right) and ARS 28-735 (3 ft passing).

Several years ago, a Phoenix police officer pulled me over for using the center of a travel lane. He said that a sign (on a different street several miles away) "proved" I needed to stay right at all times, and that I was disobeying a traffic control device in riding where I was.
Picture of the sign legend:

I was polite in my response. We got out ARS (easy to do now it's electronic), and I showed where the location I was riding had a 10.5' lane and was not wide enough for same-lane overtaking with anything resembling 3 ft clearance. I then discussed the sign, which was an older (late 1990s) design before we had data on just how widely the term "share" was interpreted by road users, and also noted it conflicted with the letter of the law at our location and even at the installed location (at the time of the encounter, I was chairing the technical committee advising FHWA on bicycle signing nationwide). We parted amicably, and in future encounters he would smile and wave when changing lanes to pass.

A few years later, I was stopped by a different officer who would not review the statutes, insisted I had to stay on the sidewalk regardless of circumstances, and threatened me with being detained should I question his authority on the issue. Complaints to upper management were... unresponded.
Nice work. If you can get an LEO to open their mind to the fact that they may be wrong, you have accomplished something.
Old 10-02-23, 01:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Rick
It appears we have the bicyclists and the submissives. The bicyclists ride according to the law and appropriately handle themselves at intersections. When a bicyclist such as the OP posts about a maniacal psychopath acting out toward a bicyclists. The submissives start posting about how wrong he is based upon the actions of the maniacal psychopath. The submissives then explain to the bicyclists, their method of riding at an intersection. They practice hood ornament bicycle theory. They believe if they retreat in fear at every turn they will be safer.

Right on, but there's more to it than that. There are posters who read posts for the sole purpose of identifying a point of contention. Several of them have already showed up. Their histories here are dominated by adversarial comments. Other posters read with an eye toward understanding the OP, asking questions for clarity and politely pointing out any differences in belief. They latter is useful and welcome and constructive. I have learned from then when they demonstrated where I was wrong.

From an advocacy standpoint the submissives do more harm than good. You know what's going to follow when they say "I'm a bicyclist too, but..."
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-02-23, 01:34 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Nice work. If you can get an LEO to open their mind to the fact that they may be wrong, you have accomplished something.
Given that at the moment the success rate, including unmentioned contacts, is less than 50%, I still need to work on this. I was happy several decades ago when I was responsible for many traffic-related aspects of the local MS 150 out to Parker that we were able to get DPS (highway patrol) to change from seeing bicyclists from slow meaty nuisances to legal road users.
Old 10-02-23, 01:50 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
It appears that we have some posters who like to use hyperbolic rhetoric and gross stereotyping to describe US vs THEM.

It is called the english language. Yes I like to express myself with a point in mind. The individual that acted out was showing hostility and this is less acceptable than me expressing my opinions. I detest weakness that leads to death. I will not escalate a situation with a motorist. I will also not tolerate either.
Old 10-02-23, 01:56 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
RCM, that is a valid examination of the different types of potential collision. I would be interested to attend such a talk. As far as riding consistently to the right goes, if there is no green arrow for me to refer to after the red light ends, and all that is available is a green light, I will just keep looking behind me, and wait as long as it takes for the line of cars taking a right to pass, and the way forward is both clear and safe. I see no potential difficulty in this, unless. of course, the rider has a neck or spinal problem that prevents them from turning 180 degrees to look behind her (in this scenario, I would probably not want to rely on a mirror to assess the situation from behind.
Old 10-02-23, 02:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Given that at the moment the success rate, including unmentioned contacts, is less than 50%, I still need to work on this. I was happy several decades ago when I was responsible for many traffic-related aspects of the local MS 150 out to Parker that we were able to get DPS (highway patrol) to change from seeing bicyclists from slow meaty nuisances to legal road users.
Thank you for what you do.
Old 10-02-23, 02:11 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Rick,
Your confrontational style of riding, as I can assume from your comments, endangers us all by provoking motorists. Someone could see you riding in the automobile lanes and at a later date, be drunk or just angry, and take me out, even though I am riding responsibly to the right. This is why I feel so strongly about maintaining a sense of order and predictability while riding. I honestly hope you ride like you SAY you ride.
Old 10-02-23, 02:14 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
RCM, that is a valid examination of the different types of potential collision. I would be interested to attend such a talk. As far as riding consistently to the right goes, if there is no green arrow for me to refer to after the red light ends, and all that is available is a green light, I will just keep looking behind me, and wait as long as it takes for the line of cars taking a right to pass, and the way forward is both clear and safe. I see no potential difficulty in this, unless. of course, the rider has a neck or spinal problem that prevents them from turning 180 degrees to look behind her (in this scenario, I would probably not want to rely on a mirror to assess the situation from behind.
That's one way of doing it, and it's consistent with the NACTO approach of separating conflicting movements (such as paths to the right of right-turn lanes) by time instead of space, the tradeoff being the delay in waiting for the conflicting movement to clear and having to watch for additional turning traffic.

For more information on traffic cycling skills class content, try these two links for a start:
LAB Smart Cycling: https://learn.bikeleague.org/
Cycling Savvy: https://cyclingsavvy.org/articles/
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-02-23, 02:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I looked over and asked WTF he was doing. To my surprise, he rolled down his window and explained that he was going to take a right. There was some traffic on Airline, so I was hoping that none of them would turn down Houma. I'd end up being the sacrificial lamb on that scenario. I asked WTF he would do if I was in a car. He sat there crossed eyed, drooling and dumbfounded. I told the idiot to get behind me and I'd scoot a little left to give him room to take a right. I almost always do that when I know that someone is turning.
If you actually used that language, then you may have converted a clueless, but relatively harmless driver, into a driver that that thinks cyclists are jerks. I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-02-23, 03:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Riding mid-lane is the mitigation tactic recommended for avoiding a right hook.

https://bicyclesafe.com/
There are other ways of preventing right hooks besides taking a lane....Taking a lane may prevent a right hook but it may get you rear ended, run over or get you into a road rage incident....I am not completely against taking a lane. I've been riding long enough to know that sometimes there are situations where taking a lane makes perfect sense. I use my own judgment, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's always a smart thing to do or a safe thing to do.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-02-23, 06:09 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are other ways of preventing right hooks besides taking a lane....Taking a lane may prevent a right hook but it may get you rear ended, run over or get you into a road rage incident..
You can get rear ended, run over or road raged irrespective of where you are on the road, or even on the shoulder.

I don't steadfastly take the lane and maintain it. My position is situational. On this road, while crossing the intersection, mid lane is my best bet for being seen, being treated as traffic, not being sideswiped and not being right hooked. Further down the road, it's easy to scoot far right and let cars come by.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-02-23, 07:21 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Seems we agree. Not sure why you seem to be disputing with me something I think we agree on.
Maybe a bad choice of syntax on my part?

I agree that we agree, no disputing respectful protocols when in traffic.

I'm new to returning to two-wheel transport, it'd been over a decade since I did any amount of riding. Back then it was on MUPS instead of public thoroughfares, which would have been suicidal back where I used to live. Bad enough was the broken glass and gangs of cyclist not staying to their side as opposing traffic (me) approached. I took the verge more than once before giving up traversing some segments as too risky.
Old 10-03-23, 12:25 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
And here again my favorite VC comeuppance video. LOL.
Actually here, there's MORE cyclists than ever. All ages, all kinds bikes.
How many ride VC?? .0001%.
How many drivers here are inconsiderate? .0001%. SEE how that works??

The only thing the OP demonstrated is Green Box strategy and No turn on red IDEOLOGY. It solves NOTHING.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-03-23 at 12:33 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 10-03-23, 01:13 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Being right on the internet vs having situational awareness in real life, let's see which one the op chooses today.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 10-03-23, 07:30 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
And here again my favorite VC comeuppance video. LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7AVC1YCcO0
Actually here, there's MORE cyclists than ever. All ages, all kinds bikes.
How many ride VC?? .0001%.
How many drivers here are inconsiderate? .0001%. SEE how that works??

The only thing the OP demonstrated is Green Box strategy and No turn on red IDEOLOGY. It solves NOTHING.
That bus driver is a great person ! On another note, maybe riding to the right of that concrete wall could have prevented that.
Old 10-03-23, 08:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by nomadmax
That bus driver is a great person ! On another note, maybe riding to the right of that concrete wall could have prevented that.
I would not have wanted to be where that rider was, but I'll allow the possibility that he may have ended up on the main road by accident. He seemed like he was riding at an almost panicked pace.
Old 10-03-23, 11:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I would not have wanted to be where that rider was, but I'll allow the possibility that he may have ended up on the main road by accident. He seemed like he was riding at an almost panicked pace.
I hear ya. But had it been me, there by accident, I would have lifted my bike over the barrier.
Old 10-03-23, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are other ways of preventing right hooks besides taking a lane....Taking a lane may prevent a right hook but it may get you rear ended, run over or get you into a road rage incident....I am not completely against taking a lane. I've been riding long enough to know that sometimes there are situations where taking a lane makes perfect sense. I use my own judgment, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's always a smart thing to do or a safe thing to do.
I'm not completely against moving to the right or getting off the road. I've been cycling for a long time too. But only in certain situations does it make perfect sense to me..

Even as kids if we were first to a stop sign or stop light we were in the lane. Usually then we were a big group. So more visible and certainly no one wants to be guilty of splattering kids all over the road. At least not back then.

On my ride I just finished, I came off the bike path at a intersection and took the lane so I could go straight across and be on the road back to my sub-division. All the cars that got behind me seemed okay with it. When the light turned green I was across the 4 lane road before the car next to me even got out of the starting blocks. Since both lanes can turn left also, I bet the car that would have been behind me but moved over behind the other car was a little PO'd that they changed lanes.

In this case, being in the middle of the lane ensures I don't get squeezed off the road by the car behind me passing as we get to the other side where it's more narrow than you think and broken asphalt on the edge. I usually move to the right after I get beyond were the picture ends.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-03-23 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-03-23, 01:02 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Rick,
Your confrontational style of riding, as I can assume from your comments, endangers us all by provoking motorists.
I ride to the right in the lane and on some shoulders. If it is a substandard lane I use the whole lane. I don't ride to the right when making a left turn or going straight. Pretending you know me through my communications shows me that you are not totally secure in even your own ability to navigate the road by bicycle.

Someone could see you riding in the automobile lanes and at a later date, be drunk or just angry, and take me out, even though I am riding responsibly to the right. This is why I feel so strongly about maintaining a sense of order and predictability while riding. I honestly hope you ride like you SAY you ride.
I obey the laws like most motorists do. I am not the one hiding by riding in and out of open spaces between parked cars. I am not the one that endangers you or others. You through lack of skill and experience most likely do that yourself. I find that motorists are antagonized by those clowns who don't obey the traffic laws. I have been on the receiving end of an angry motorist who confronted some racer wannabes They had cut him off and when he honked at them they busted a side window. He later saw me and swerved at me several times honking. I no longer live in a major city so these kinds of incidents haven't been a problem. Riding through an intersection far to the right is not predictable and can cause your on injury or death. If you insist on riding there. it would be better to get out of the lane completely and use the crosswalk.

Last edited by Rick; 10-03-23 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 01:02 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
This is why I don't live in any of the various concrete jungles in this country. Life is more peaceful in a town of ~10k
Old 10-03-23, 10:10 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This is why I don't live in any of the various concrete jungles in this country. Life is more peaceful in a town of ~10k
705 surrounded by national forest is even better.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 10-04-23, 07:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
705 surrounded by national forest is even better.
Right!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.