Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Intelligent Speed Assistance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 11:51 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts

Story from NPR recently

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/06/12165...eed-assistance

More than 40,000 people died in vehicle crashes in the U.S. last year, and speeding is a major reason why. Speed-related crashes accounted for roughly 12,000 deaths in 2021, the last year for which there are complete statistics, and hundreds of thousands of injuries.

Safety advocates say it's time for automakers to adopt new technology in cars to reduce speeding.

The technology known as intelligent speed assistance can work in several ways. There's passive speed assistance, which notifies drivers when they're speeding, but doesn't force them to slow down. And there's a second type known as active speed assistance that prevents drivers from exceeding the speed limit.

Safety advocates say the U.S. lags behind Europe, where speed assistance technology is already widespread. It's set to become mandatory there for all new passenger cars next year.

In the U.S. the NTSB can make recommendations, but it cannot force automakers to add speed assistance. And so far, the U.S. auto industry seems to be in no hurry.
I'm in favor, but I think one major reason the auto industry is not on board is, not just that nobody likes being told what to do, but if this is required, a lot of people are going to decide not to pay extra for the car with the more powerful engine that they can't even use, and go for a cheaper model -- thus decreasing sales on the most profitable models
Old 12-14-23, 12:10 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
How are they going to determine the speed limits on the road someone is driving. It could be a 25mph zone, a 65 mph highway, or a highway in open country area with an 80mph limit (Texas, I think?). Also variable areas, like a 45 mph street, but if there's a school bus stop that would temporarily make it a 25 mph zone or even require a full stop. Lots of unanswered questions.
Old 12-14-23, 01:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 3,032 Posts
These days I just putt down the road.
Old 12-14-23, 04:47 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 2,759 Times in 907 Posts
The majority of speeding is senseless and can put mine and the life of my wife and daughter at risk. Personally I’d prefer it if intelligent speed assistance was made mandatory in th U.S.
Old 12-14-23, 05:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
When I moved to Japan some years ago, I was surprised at the variety of vehicles on the road. Go-carts (like the kind they used to race at Malibu Grand Prix), new custom roadster cars without bumpers, small motorcycles converted into 3-wheelers, and stuff like that. It turns out that in Japan, pretty much anything which has wheels and an engine can be licensed to drive on the roads. Not to mention the 660cc Kei Cars and trucks which are little more than beer cans with wheels.

Yet, Japan’s roads are reasonably safe. Japan understands something which America simply can’t grasp, that it is impossible to build a safe car. A vehicle is only as safe as the person who operates it. Japan does not focus on the car manufacturers making safer cars, Japan focuses on making safer drivers. Getting a drivers license in Japan is hard, and expensive. I had to take a an extremely long and difficult written test, with perhaps half the questions pertaining to safety, I had to take a separate driver safety course and get a CPR certification. I had to spend numerous hours behind the wheel with an instructor, and then take a very challenging driving test with an angry, gaijin-hating police officer. Getting a car license in Japan is harder than getting a class A license in America (and I should know, as I had a class A). The total cost was around $3000.

Japan’s laws are tough, according to the law there is no such thing as an “accident.” All collisions are the result of negligence, all collisions resulting in injury are considered criminal negligence. Any collision which results in a fatality results in a mandatory prison sentence for the negligent driver. Japan absolutely does not tolerate unlicensed/uninsured drivers, such people are not ticketed, they are jailed.

The result is that Japan’s traffic homicide rate is 2.7 per 100,000 people, while America’s rate is 13 per 100.000.

Last edited by 50PlusCycling; 12-14-23 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 12-14-23, 06:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Foo to A&S.

Old 12-14-23, 07:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
How are they going to determine the speed limits on the road someone is driving. It could be a 25mph zone, a 65 mph highway, or a highway in open country area with an 80mph limit (Texas, I think?). Also variable areas, like a 45 mph street, but if there's a school bus stop that would temporarily make it a 25 mph zone or even require a full stop. Lots of unanswered questions.
My car knows the speed limit on any road based on both GPS mapping and road sign recognition. I get passive warnings when driving over the limit, which obviously I have never seen 😂
Old 12-14-23, 09:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by skidder
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My car knows the speed limit on any road based on both GPS mapping and road sign recognition. I get passive warnings when driving over the limit, which obviously I have never seen 😂
I've seen in new rental cars, they're very good at 'seeing' all the speed limit signs on the side of the road, and showing you the latest one on the dashboard. I'm not sure how it will work with signs obscured by trees, speed limits changed due to temporary construction, or the very rare situation where the safest choice is actually to speed to get out of a risky situation. (But the more everybody observes speed limits, the fewer of those there would be)
Old 12-14-23, 10:15 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
So another incentive to keep an old car....
Likes For Bleu:
Old 12-15-23, 06:36 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I've seen in new rental cars, they're very good at 'seeing' all the speed limit signs on the side of the road, and showing you the latest one on the dashboard. I'm not sure how it will work with signs obscured by trees, speed limits changed due to temporary construction, or the very rare situation where the safest choice is actually to speed to get out of a risky situation. (But the more everybody observes speed limits, the fewer of those there would be)
They pick up temporary construction speed limit signs. If they miss the odd obscured sign it isn’t going to be the end of the world. My current car reacts to any speed limit signs it actually sees and reverts to the GPS mapped limits if it hasn’t seen one.

This is not new tech. My 2014 Nissan had camera speed limit recognition and pretty much every satnav has mapped limits. At least here in the UK anyway.
Old 12-15-23, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Ior the very rare situation where the safest choice is actually to speed to get out of a risky situation.
They could perhaps allow an initial burst over the speed limit and then slow you back down. It doesn’t have to be a hard limit. It could be a soft limit approach where you get a warning and then a limiter cuts in to slow you down if you ignore it.
Old 12-15-23, 10:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Speeding is a byproduct from not being attentive while operating a vehicle.
fix the root cause. many are easily going 5 over, & are not even aware of it.
Old 12-16-23, 05:40 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I believe there is more to it than simply lack of focus. Most people are in big hurry and concerned mostly about themselves. That is a matter of misdirected focus. It seems the wellness of health and life, including one's self, is less important than shaving a few seconds, or minutes, off a trip in a vehicle. I also believe most people that are speeding are aware of that, most of the time.
Old 12-16-23, 07:55 AM
PeteHski

That's the intention of passive speed warning systems. But as delbiker1 said, there are other reasons why people consciously speed, which is why active systems are under discussion.
Old 12-16-23, 08:35 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Hah hah .... speeding is byproduct of the artificiality constructed "speed limits". These "limits" are their own violations, their own "sin/sinners". The artificial construct itself is the very violation it claims to be capable of adjudicating, justifying. It's akin to a game of blame that sets forth the parameters and characteristics of the game(itself), the rules and regulations. The problem of course that all of these rules are limited in themselves(the games concept of itself), they can't account for every possible scenario that they could possibly be applied to. So more more rules are made up in the attempt to account for and predict all the possible flaws within its own self ruling. But there's no limits to the possibilities, every form of success is met with another failure. They go hand in hand. Duel-ing/dual-ing hands. One makes it, the other breaks it. Ahahahahaha !
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-16-23, 08:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Garthr
Hah hah .... speeding is byproduct of the artificiality constructed "speed limits". These "limits" are their own violations, their own "sin/sinners". The artificial construct itself is the very violation it claims to be capable of adjudicating, justifying. It's akin to a game of blame that sets forth the parameters and characteristics of the game(itself), the rules and regulations. The problem of course that all of these rules are limited in themselves(the games concept of itself), they can't account for every possible scenario that they could possibly be applied to. So more more rules are made up in the attempt to account for and predict all the possible flaws within its own self ruling. But there's no limits to the possibilities, every form of success is met with another failure. They go hand in hand. Duel-ing/dual-ing hands. One makes it, the other breaks it. Ahahahahaha !
Motorway speed limits may fall into this category, but urban limits are definitely required.
Old 12-16-23, 09:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Motorway speed limits may fall into this category, but urban limits are definitely required.
The passage you responded to reads as if it had been cribbed from a textbook for an undergraduate course in contemporary European literary criticism. I once wrote a paper for such a course, parodying some labyrinthine Foucault article, complete with punitively obscurantist prose style.

Pretty easy to do, actually, assuming you're motivated to write as incomprehensibly as possible. (One of those priests of literary criticism once boasted "There are possibly four men in the world who will understand my writing.")

Coincidentally, the argument in my paper turned on the difference (or, per Derrida, the "différance") between a given posted speed limit and the unknowable, always fluid, actual speed limit. (Which I cribbed from a Dave Barry comic piece.)

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-16-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-16-23, 10:46 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The passage you responded to reads as if it had been cribbed from a textbook for an undergraduate course in contemporary European literary criticism. I once wrote a paper for such a course, parodying some labyrinthine Foucault article, complete with punitively obscurantist prose style.

Pretty easy to do, actually, assuming you're motivated to write as incomprehensibly as possible. (One of those priests of literary criticism once boasted "There are possibly four men in the world who will understand my writing.")

Coincidentally, the argument in my paper turned on the difference (or, per Derrida, the "différance") between a given posted speed limit and the unknowable, always fluid, actual speed limit. (Which I cribbed from a Dave Barry comic piece.)
Yeah I noted the same, but overlooked the parody.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-23, 12:54 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
There is something worse than not paying attention to the speedometer. All the technology in cars meant to curtail speeding. Can not control a person who either insists on, being able to talk on phone, or write things while driving.

My father(82) n' step-mother(75) have vehicles that have the ability to answer a cellphone call. They both know I detest when they call me from their respective car.

My mother(83) knows I don't like her talking on the phone while driving. So, She does something equally as egregious. She will write notes to herself, on a Post-It pad attached to the dashboard while driving 30mph+
Old 12-16-23, 05:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hands-free calling is a lot better than actually operating the phone directly; but most people assume there is no risk at all which is not true. Studies have shown that people talking to somebody on a hands-free call are measurably more distracted/dangerous than talking to somebody in the car.
Old 12-16-23, 06:08 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Chistophe516

My father(82) n' step-mother(75) have vehicles that have the ability to answer a cellphone call. They both know I detest when they call me from their respective car.
Alien technology?
Old 12-16-23, 06:10 PM
PeteHski

What I find amazing is the number of people who still use a cell phone in the car without a hands free connection. Even in modern cars with BT etc.
Old 12-16-23, 07:06 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Alien technology?
Car manufacturers don't think so. They just perpetuate the problem.
Old 12-16-23, 07:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I'm in favor, but I think one major reason the auto industry is not on board is, not just that nobody likes being told what to do, but if this is required, a lot of people are going to decide not to pay extra for the car with the more powerful engine that they can't even use, and go for a cheaper model -- thus decreasing sales on the most profitable models
Exactly. It's going to be hard justifying laying out $70K or so for a Hellcat, Shelby, or SS - let alone the supercars - just so you can drive alongside Soccer Mom in her minivan. Money may allow you to buy something outrageously fast, but it doesn't get you the common sense or driving skill to handle it responsibly. If you don't believe me, just look at the number of YT videos of idiots putting innocent people's lives in danger while "roll racing" on the highways.
If they do somehow manage to restrict speed in cars, it's my hope that these same morons will turn to crotch-rockets (sport bikes). There's a much better chance of them removing themselves from the gene pool.
Old 12-16-23, 11:50 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Alien technology?
Yes, aliens gave this technology to the Germans and the Japanese about 20 years ago.

I can’t remember the year with certainty when we had this in our car but I’m sure that by 2007 and later, all of them had this ability.

All alien controls are on the steering wheel (front and back) where they can be activated by a single push. We do have some numbers included in favorites that live on the hard drive of cars and they work like the speed dial, touching one button on the screen calls the number. If we get a call, depending on who it is, we might answer by a quick response saying that we are driving now and will call you when we get home. Of course, if it’s my wife asking to pick up milk or something on my way back home, I do answer, usually affirmatively.
Getting distracted for any reason while driving is not a good idea. Majority of the time, one gets away with it - lucky coincidence - but then one can’t rely on being lucky.

[Some older cars in US have included cruise control system that do more than maintain speed. If the driver in front of us slows down, the car automatically reduces the speed to maintain a certain gap (programmable by us), or if someone changes the lane and gets in front of us, alien technology does its thing. Relatively newer cars also include active accident avoidance system, pedestrian collision avoidance (and I’d assume, it will not let you run over a bicyclist - I’m not going to try and test it!). So in theory, even 10 years ago, I set the cruise control at the speed limit of the road (highway or street) with all the safety systems on, car would force me to do the right thing, despite myself. There is one really great piece of alien technology that I really like for safety - VSC (vehicle stability control). This has helped me avoid an accident a decade ago on a highway where everyone was going relatively fast (around 70-75 MPH). Apparently, there was patch of black ice and all of a sudden I started loosing control.. Fortunately, the VSC took over and kept me in my lane. Just barely made through the rough spot and saw a three car accident in the rear view mirror. Evidently, the alien technology determines that if your wheels are at 0 degree (not turned) but your car is not going straight, there is a problem with differential traction on one or more wheels, and it uses all 4 of wheels to control the car by differentially applying brakes and transfer of torque to each of the 4 wheels. The car was back in my control in no more than a second or two. I was more than adequately impressed by this technology and have never bought another car without it.]

Ultimately, it is always the lack of responsibility in one shape or another, on the part of a driver that causes accidents.
Likes For Alan K:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.