Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Intelligent Speed Assistance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Intelligent Speed Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 10:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I have driven many times from Dallas to Minnesota in a day - distance is about 1000 miles. I know that driving such a distance would be utterly impossible in any electric car.
Utterly impossible? Hardly. 15 hours of driving with about 3 hours of charging gets you there in a Tesla 3.
Old 12-18-23, 10:51 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Utterly impossible? Hardly. 15 hours of driving with about 3 hours of charging gets you there in a Tesla 3.
You are welcome to it - I’m not interested in adding 3 extra hours to my trip on an already a long day.

On major highways, if you are lucky, you might find available chargers with nominal wait times… but then you may get routed to another one, 10 miles away - not interested in this hopscotch.

We tend to enjoy less well travelled roads for our trips. It’s more fun to discover smaller towns on the way and stop for lunch at some local restaurant that looks interesting. Major interstates are by contrast, monotonous and boring. Doing this, as I mentioned, is impossible with a Tesla.
Old 12-18-23, 10:56 PM
tomato coupe

You are welcome to it - I’m not interested in adding 3 extra hours to my trip on an already a long day.
You're still going to make re-fueling, bathroom, and food stops in a non-EV. Adding an hour or two to the trip for re-charging does not make it "utterly impossible".
Old 12-18-23, 11:11 PM
Alan K

You're still going to make re-fueling, bathroom, and food stops in a non-EV. Adding an hour or two to the trip for re-charging does not make it "utterly impossible".
You are obviously ignoring the important part about the quality of my trip… in the last paragraph!
Why would you assume (or insist) that I eat at the charging station or a gas station whatever slop they happen to be serving!
Old 12-18-23, 11:19 PM
tomato coupe

You are obviously ignoring the important part about the quality of my trip… in the last paragraph!
Why would you assume (or insist) that I eat at the charging station or a gas station whatever slop they happen to be serving!
I'm not assuming anything -- you're moving the goalpost. Your statement was that it was utterly impossible to make the 1000 mile drive from Dallas to Minnesota in a day in an EV. That's pure nonsense.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-23, 12:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts

On major highways, if you are lucky, you might find available chargers with nominal wait times… but then you may get routed to another one, 10 miles away - not interested in this hopscotch.

We tend to enjoy less well travelled roads for our trips. It’s more fun to discover smaller towns on the way and stop for lunch at some local restaurant that looks interesting. Major interstates are by contrast, monotonous and boring. Doing this, as I mentioned, is impossible with a Tesla.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 12-19-23, 12:22 AM
Alan K

I'm not assuming anything -- you're moving the goalpost. Your statement was that it was utterly impossible to make the 1000 mile drive from Dallas to Minnesota in a day in an EV. That's pure nonsense.
I should have been clearer in stating that it would be impossible for me.
Old 12-19-23, 02:37 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I should have been clearer in stating that it would be impossible for me.
Not picking on you, but, how many times a week do you do the Dallas to Minnesota run? If the Planet is to survive we are going to have to make some modifications to our druthers for the good of the order. What if for the D to M you rented an ICE vehicle? What if you had no choice in the matter? Long before you want to, the governments of the (once) free world are going to FORCE drivers to rent from the available fleet of ICE vehicles for anything EXCEPT commuting and errands. Those functions will, of necessity be done with an electric vehicle. Or no vehicle at all. Our Planet is literally 'too big to fail'.
Old 12-19-23, 08:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

The European idea of long distance driving versus what some us do here are different. My guess is that you drove probably around 600 miles - this is an easy day’s drive for us (on a single tank, if so chosen).

Many of my European friends, pre-Google U days, really did not have a good comprehension of distances in US. Texas alone is quite large, Dallas to El Paso (western edge of TX) is about 650 miles.
I have driven many times from Dallas to Minnesota in a day - distance is about 1000 miles. I know that driving such a distance would be utterly impossible in any electric car.
770 miles door to door. I’ve done this trip by Tesla and by conventional car several times. I’ll take the Tesla every time thanks.

There are Tesla Superchargers available (plus a whole load of other EV chargers) at roughly 50 mile increments throughout, so it’s not that challenging. Charging time is not really “wasted” time either on a long trip. But maybe you have to experience it for yourself to fully understand.

If your sole priority is to get 1000 miles from A to B in the fastest possible time then a gas powered car is going to win. But I’ve played that game in the past and it isn’t really very safe or pleasant. An EV forces you to take those breaks that you really ought to be taking anyway for your own benefit.

I’m well travelled and have a very good comprehension of US distances. Driving 1000 miles a day is not my idea of fun anywhere and especially not in the US.
Old 12-19-23, 09:52 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My car knows the speed limit on any road based on both GPS mapping and road sign recognition. I get passive warnings when driving over the limit, which obviously I have never seen 😂
The thing is that the GPS in my car is frequently wrong. The thing it can not handle are School Zones. The problem there is that it is so hard to deal with something that has no set schedule (School days and zone hours are not the same throughout the country and even change year to year by the local districts e.g. the district I teach at has the first day of Lent off, just based on probability, I doubt your does). Yes, there are ways of dealing with it, and I am immediately going to a fringe case, but this is just an example.

That said, in general, I do like the idea. One problem that I think will eventually take care of itself. You would be surprised at the number of Baby Boomer generation drivers who honestly think that the Speed Limit is the Minimum Speed. It says MAX right on the sign, but a lot don't seem to get it. As I said, that seems to be a single generation and is going to take care of itself.

Like a lot of others, I have a GPS that chimes when I go over the speed limit (or at least when it thinks I am going over the speed limit). I think that would be a useful feature to have standard.
Old 12-19-23, 10:03 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C

That said, in general, I do like the idea. One problem that I think will eventually take care of itself. You would be surprised at the number of Baby Boomer generation drivers who honestly think that the Speed Limit is the Minimum Speed. It says MAX right on the sign, but a lot don't seem to get it. As I said, that seems to be a single generation and is going to take care of itself.
Not remotely consistent with what I see on the roadways.

Downright bizarre.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-19-23, 10:08 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Robert C
The thing is that the GPS in my car is frequently wrong. The thing it can not handle are School Zones. The problem there is that it is so hard to deal with something that has no set schedule (School days and zone hours are not the same throughout the country and even change year to year by the local districts e.g. the district I teach at has the first day of Lent off, just based on probability, I doubt your does). Yes, there are ways of dealing with it, and I am immediately going to a fringe case, but this is just an example.

Like a lot of others, I have a GPS that chimes when I go over the speed limit (or at least when it thinks I am going over the speed limit). I think that would be a useful feature to have standard.
Yes I agree that there are edge cases to deal with, but with live road sign recognition and GPS mapping back-up it is rare for my car to display the wrong speed limit. Where speed limits are dynamic there needs to be active speed limit signage like we have here in the UK on variable limit roads. I drove through central London a few weeks ago, which has a lot of variable speed limits and the car picked up every single one. It’s probably better than the average human driver in that respect.

If the mapping and road signage are robust then there is no technical problem here. If your local speed limits are complicated, confusing and poorly signed then that is a different matter to deal with.
Old 12-19-23, 10:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jon c.

Downright bizarre.
I thought that too. I just put it down to yelling at clouds. People often do drive right on the legal limit, but I wouldn’t say it was a baby boomer thing, whatever that actually is.
Old 12-19-23, 10:24 AM
PeteHski

Here in the UK and Europe a lot of quality restaurants and hotels have complimentary EV charging. Tesla destination chargers are a good example. They typically charge much slower than high speed Superchargers, but you can pick up a reasonable free bonus charge while stopping for lunch. A modern Supercharger can typically fill your battery while you have a coffee and pee break every 250 or so miles.
Old 12-19-23, 10:32 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
In my state, the MPH posted signs don't seem to be replaced 1 for 1 when they are damaged/beat up. The signs are likely being reduced in quantity just like the street lights (in, per mile) are less frequently noticed & installed when road "work" is being done.... I guess WRT the lights, it will bandaid the grids shortcomings for supporting more future dependency.
Old 12-19-23, 10:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by jon c.

Downright bizarre.
?? Absolutely consistent with San Diego freeways. Not sure it it's specifically a baby boomer thing, it's everybody. My wife gets furious if she's blocked by somebody on the freeway going exactly the speed limit, and Cthulu help them if they're 5mph under
Old 12-19-23, 10:46 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by RubeRad
?? Absolutely consistent with San Diego freeways. Not sure it it's specifically a baby boomer thing, it's everybody.
It was specifically citing baby boomers as the culprits that was bizarre.
Old 12-19-23, 11:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

ok yeah that is odd, and I think incorrect. Baby Boomers means my parents, and that's 70+ nowadays, those are going to be the slower drivers. But still out here always speed limit +5 at least
Old 12-19-23, 12:24 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Not picking on you, but, how many times a week do you do the Dallas to Minnesota run? If the Planet is to survive we are going to have to make some modifications to our druthers for the good of the order. What if for the D to M you rented an ICE vehicle? What if you had no choice in the matter? Long before you want to, the governments of the (once) free world are going to FORCE drivers to rent from the available fleet of ICE vehicles for anything EXCEPT commuting and errands. Those functions will, of necessity be done with an electric vehicle. Or no vehicle at all. Our Planet is literally 'too big to fail'.
I hadn’t noticed.

I understand old combustion engines run fine on moonshine.

To quote (paraphrase) one of the conductors of “Shiny Time Station” from his adult shows: Planet will be fine… it’s not going anywhere etc.
Old 12-19-23, 12:44 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Here in the UK and Europe a lot of quality restaurants and hotels have complimentary EV charging. Tesla destination chargers are a good example. They typically charge much slower than high speed Superchargers, but you can pick up a reasonable free bonus charge while stopping for lunch. A modern Supercharger can typically fill your battery while you have a coffee and pee break every 250 or so miles.
It makes sense for you to use EV. But, in our case, reality of life is significantly different in many ways. We travel in the southwest region of our country frequently, love the area for camping and other outdoors activities. It is not uncommon to go 100 miles and not see another car ( not interstate highways). Individual states have signs on some roads indicating the next gas station 50 miles or whatever it might be. More uncommonly used roads do not have any posted signs. But these are the fun places to look for petroglyphs and fossils. No restaurants with free chargers in any of these areas yet, in some areas no restaurants, period.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-19-23, 02:05 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
To quote (paraphrase) one of the conductors of “Shiny Time Station” from his adult shows: Planet will be fine… it’s not going anywhere etc.
Right, the Planet isn't going anywhere. Or, more accurately, it will continue going towards whatever future this Solar System has in store. The fragile balance of economic/socioeconomic/and environmental systems that support Human Civilization will not be fine. No one thinks so. No one that doesn't have a vested ($$$) interest in the 1999 Status Quo.
Old 12-19-23, 02:12 PM
tomato coupe

It makes sense for you to use EV. But, in our case, reality of life is significantly different in many ways. We travel in the southwest region of our country frequently, love the area for camping and other outdoors activities. It is not uncommon to go 100 miles and not see another car ( not interstate highways). Individual states have signs on some roads indicating the next gas station 50 miles or whatever it might be. More uncommonly used roads do not have any posted signs. But these are the fun places to look for petroglyphs and fossils. No restaurants with free chargers in any of these areas yet, in some areas no restaurants, period.
You moved the goalpost a long way, from the impossibility of EVs making a 1000 mile trip across the center of the U.S. to their unsuitability in remote areas of the country.
Old 12-19-23, 02:41 PM
Alan K

You moved the goalpost a long way, from the impossibility of EVs making a 1000 mile trip across the center of the U.S. to their unsuitability in remote areas of the country.
There are no goal posts, except perhaps the once you constructed in your imagination.
Some people (like us) do travel all over and enjoy the outdoors wherever they like to be; they don’t need blessings of BF participants.
Old 12-19-23, 03:02 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Right, the Planet isn't going anywhere. Or, more accurately, it will continue going towards whatever future this Solar System has in store. The fragile balance of economic/socioeconomic/and environmental systems that support Human Civilization will not be fine. No one thinks so. No one that doesn't have a vested ($$$) interest in the 1999 Status Quo.
In the context of planetary life, human existence is inconsequential (unless you subscribe to the story of earth being a few thousand years old), so that is essentially a moot point.

During tulip mania days, people thought it was a fantastic investment… and some people greatly benefited from it.
We shall see who will be the beneficiary of this new thing and for how long.
The long-term prospects of EV are not exactly perfectly solid but what do I know about such complex things, I only like bicycles with pedals so far, haven’t even graduated to an electric bicycle.
Old 12-19-23, 03:11 PM
tomato coupe

There are no goal posts, except perhaps the once you constructed in your imagination.
Some people (like us) do travel all over and enjoy the outdoors wherever they like to be; they don’t need blessings of BF participants.
No one condemns you for your travel habits or your love of the outdoors. But, your posts are a perfect example of moving the goalpost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.