Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 04:32 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Chain question

Hello, I just got a new Shimano Dura-Ace chain for my road bike, and got it de-greased and waxed per my other thread “Chain Waxing Question” - thanks for all your replies!

I want to get a second chain and I’m wondering if there’s anything ‘better’ out there?? I ride about 2500 miles per year on mostly flat ground and always on dry roads (which are sometimes a little gritty here in SW Florida). I ride solo for exercise on a 10 mile loop averaging 18-20 mph.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 01-11-24, 05:05 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Zero Friction has done some testing. You can see the results and discussion starting at https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...1-speed-chain/.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-11-24, 06:41 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
just get a shimano 105 or ultegra....you won't feel any difference. I stopped buying durace and have been just using ultegra because a couple times a year either REI or Bike tire direct has great deals on them.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-12-24, 01:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
You already have far better than you need. Moreover, on a cost per mile basis, spending more would be counterproductive.

In any case, you have a year to wait and see what might come to market.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-13-24, 11:15 AM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by bbbean
Zero Friction has done some testing. You can see the results and discussion starting at https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...1-speed-chain/.
Thanks, interesting read!
Old 01-13-24, 01:56 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
You are usually paying for slightly lighter weight and maybe a nicer looking, but not necessarily more durable, finish with high dollar Dura-Ace or ?? chains. Performance wise there is little to no difference in getting $20-$30 discounted chains from the major brands. For my 10 speeds I use KMC X10 chains for under $25 and never had any issues with performance or durability but most of the major brands are fine as well.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-13-24, 02:19 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Why?

You will get a year or two out of your top of the line chain as it is. If you see something on sale, from a legit source, get it. Otherwise, ride on.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-13-24, 02:41 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by bblair
Why?
So when it’s time to remove chain #1 for cleaning and waxing I can put on already cleaned and waxed chain #2 and clean and wax chain #1 at my leisure.
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 01-13-24, 03:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Functionally, a chain is a chain (IMHO of course, knowing that there might be contrary data... but is that data relevant??). You pay extra for weight, maybe looks (shinier - which goes away with use) and possibly durability - that would take some pretty serious data gathering of road/dust/mud conditions, maintenance, mileage, wattage, etc. . Only you can decide if lighter, shinier and possibly more durable is "better".

FWIW, I buy chains without concern for brand that have good prices at the time I buy them, usually in the first or second tier of whatever brand. No particular functional reason for not buying the cheapest except I do have some vanity. And generally buy a couple to have some on hand for when I need them. Aside from a couple of AXS 12 speeds, I maintain 8 family bikes in 8, 9, 10 speeds. I have all 8 on 10 speed chains just so I don't have to do inventory management. My current stock is KMC 10 speed chains, not sure of which ones (too lazy to go to the garage and look at the packages). I also buy similar cost, similar tier of Shimano or Sram chains. I have used Dura Ace and Sram Red, and top level KMC chains and other than satisfying my old weight-weenie-ism and transient desire to have matching "high end" components, there's no functional difference that affects me in any way. And the "looks" of a chain is irrelevant to me, but I don't maintain our bikes in showroom shinyness.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-13-24 at 03:30 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-24, 08:23 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Nothing wrong with Dura-Ace chains. But for my money I prefer the stainless steel Wippermann SX chains with the Connex link. The SX ones are the only ones with all the components made from stainless. The others only have some components made from stainless. They claim 40% longer wear life than their conventional steel competitors.

Thus far I have yet to show any measurable wear on any of them and they all have 1000+ miles of all condition riding each. So, I tend to believe the claim.

Unlike KMC (or others) the Wippermann measure 0.0% wear right from the box. That means you are starting from a better place than their competitors as well. Maybe that has something to do with it?

As far as I'm concerned, it's $80 well spent.

Last edited by base2; 01-13-24 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-15-24, 08:56 AM
Biker Pete 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am really enjoying and learning a lot from this Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum!
Old 01-15-24, 10:55 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Nothing wrong with Dura-Ace chains. But for my money I prefer the stainless steel Wippermann SX chains with the Connex link. The SX ones are the only ones with all the components made from stainless. The others only have some components made from stainless. They claim 40% longer wear life than their conventional steel competitors.
As far as I'm concerned, it's $80 well spent.
I agrree , Wippermann chains are great and I personally like the cleaner look of stainless especially after a run through the chain cleaner and then a rinse & re-lube - I got mine from our LBS but I was just out on the Wippermann website and it appears that they only sell through dealers rather than direct - not a deal breaker but I was surprised.
Old 01-15-24, 12:00 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Connex Chain by Wippermann Available On Line

With more research I found that the all stainless chain ( 11 SX ) is available through Wippermann's online store - go to Connexchain.com
Likes For blinky: