Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

SWB or LWB?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

SWB or LWB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 03:07 PM
oberon

Bikes: Novara Bonanza 06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SWB or LWB?

Any seasoned bent riders our there who can help me with this dilemma? I'm really wanting a recumbent, and am leaning towards SWB model, but would like to hear how they are different from each other in riding.
Old 01-13-07, 05:38 PM
Opedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that you asked for "experienced" bent riders but I'm going to stick my nose in here for a couple of reasons. One, I've been asking this question and this is some of the responses that I've gotten, and two, if I have misunderstood my advisers then I want to know now before I continue my own quest.

SWBs have a longer learning curve. You must learn to lean your body to help control the bike. If you can take a fairly sharp curve on an upright with decent speed, then you have already mastered this. They're faster and quicker (generaly speaking). They usually also climb better than most LWBs. They twitch more and you MUST learn to relax your upper body and not oversteer. Smaller so easer to transport and store.

LWBs are easier to learn and most claim are more relaxing. You can usually view the scenery better. The length of the bike helps absorb much road/trail shock. Most feel more visable on them. Harder to manage in really heavy traffic and not as quick to adjust to a riders adjustments. Not as good for really tight turns. Great for long trail and path rides.
Old 01-13-07, 07:11 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. If you're a fast rider and want speed, I'd go for the SWB. You want a relaxed, motorcycle kind of ride, go more towards LWB.

If you want a real recommendatio9n you should tell us what you want the bike for to begin with.
Old 01-13-07, 07:18 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
The problem with the SWB vs, LWB is that it's very hard to generalize about their differences because bents, unlike uprights, really do vary a lot. The only answer is to ride a lot of different bikes. I know it's a clich'e, but it is very true where bents are concerned.

About the only thing I would say definitely, is that many SWBs will fit on a regular bike rack, and even then, they all won't.

Old 01-13-07, 09:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
SWB will handle more like an upright bike, because it's about the same wheelbase. That's not to say it'll handle *like* an upright, just that the LWB will be more differenter. What makes the SWBs generally harder to learn is the higher pedals and (often) the more reclined seats. However, the learning process only takes so long, even on a SWB; and once learned it's not an issue. Only test rides will tell you how different bikes will feel. Go get out there and do it!
Old 01-13-07, 11:45 PM
oberon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I would (prospectively) be using my new bent as a touring steed, and road bike. Negotiating traffic and stop lights/signs on a regular basis. So I'm leaning more toward a SWB, to keep the crazy locals on 4 wheels from killing me. But for touring, would a LWB be better? For loading capacity, comfort for a looong day in the saddle.
Old 01-14-07, 09:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

The higher pedals on a SWB might be an issue for repeated stops - only you can make that determination. A LWB with low pedals would make for easier stops. For loaded touring, the longer frame on a LWB would have more spots to hang gear, although either style can pull a trailer. So I think you're describing attributes that a LWB would best serve.
Old 01-14-07, 09:55 AM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll let others respond to your questions oberon, as I'm not qualified to answer. I would mention something one dealer told me when I was asking for good used ones. The only time he gets bents traded back in is when they want to upgrade. No one ever trades them back in for uprights once they have a bent regardless whether SWB or LWB. Also, on test rides the LWB riders always come back with what he referred to as the "recumbent grin".
Old 01-14-07, 10:29 AM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, he also said to seriously consider going to clipless cleats. This is important on both, but more important on SWB because of the position and height of the feet. It, according to him, adds to both comfort (ie the clips help your legs fight the pull of gravity) and to the strength of the stroke.
Old 01-14-07, 11:57 AM
BikeZen.org
Be the Bike

Bikes: Challenge Seiran E (SWB, USS), Trek 1200 DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 25 miles each way to work (50 miles roundtrip) on a SWB. While it took a while to get the hang of frequent starts/stops (especially on inclines), the SWB is more maneuverable to a degree that is critical for riding in heavy traffic. If that is your need, plan to spend the summer using your bike for rec use only (bike paths or wide shouldered roads), then the fall actually using it for traffic riding (roads with little-to-no shoulder, stop lights).
Old 01-15-07, 05:50 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll find most of whats been said is correct and personal opinon. The only thing I can add is that I own both, ( Strada ) SWB and a ( Rans Formula V ) LWB and I prefer the Strada 99% of the time, I also prefer the same size wheels. The SWB is for me is a lot faster and handles far better than the LWB and most of my riding is done in High Traffic areas. As far as the learning curve goes you should be able to handle both in a matter of a few hundred miles. The thing that has been mentioned is test ride, that's a must even after you decide what model or style you want, test as many different makes as you can because you'll find they all ride and feel differently. The other thing or style you might consider if your going touring and worried about a load is a trike, they're great for doing that and great in traffic, just thought I'd throw that in as a possibilty.
Old 01-15-07, 08:50 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've written a short page on the subject here: https://www.rebel-cycles.com/newride.html
Old 01-15-07, 09:50 AM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ric
I think you'll find most of whats been said is correct and personal opinon. The only thing I can add is that I own both, ( Strada ) SWB and a ( Rans Formula V ) LWB and I prefer the Strada 99% of the time, I also prefer the same size wheels. The SWB is for me is a lot faster and handles far better than the LWB and most of my riding is done in High Traffic areas. As far as the learning curve goes you should be able to handle both in a matter of a few hundred miles. The thing that has been mentioned is test ride, that's a must even after you decide what model or style you want, test as many different makes as you can because you'll find they all ride and feel differently. The other thing or style you might consider if your going touring and worried about a load is a trike, they're great for doing that and great in traffic, just thought I'd throw that in as a possibilty.
Ric........Would your preference for the SWB be any different if your riding was primarily long touring type rides? Thanks
Old 01-15-07, 10:13 AM
oberon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... I'll probably end up getting the bent tech blue prints for both SWB and LWB and just building myself some, thanks to the fact that I have access to my college's machine shop.

Now another question. Above seat steering or under seat steering? I'm leaning more toward USS for touring (more relaxed arms), and I'm very questionable of ASS with knee clearance (I'm 6"3). Anybody have issues with this?
Old 01-15-07, 10:19 AM
BlazingPedals

There are basically two types of OSS. With 'praying hamster bars,' you typically adjust the steering so that the bars are just behind your knees; and in the case of superman (U-Bars,) the bars are in front of your knees but pull back alongside your legs.
Old 01-15-07, 10:43 AM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oberon
Hmmm... I'll probably end up getting the bent tech blue prints for both SWB and LWB and just building myself some, thanks to the fact that I have access to my college's machine shop.

Now another question. Above seat steering or under seat steering? I'm leaning more toward USS for touring (more relaxed arms), and I'm very questionable of ASS with knee clearance (I'm 6"3). Anybody have issues with this?
Man, I wish that I had your abilities. Would make initial trial and error a lot more practical.

Again, just passing along others opinions. USS is more comfortable but intimidating not having anything in front of you. Long turn radius because the handles don't turn as far.

ASS....more aerodynamic if the grips are in front of the body. Turns shorter. Requirs some energy to maintain arm position.

PS......another thing that has been mentioned to me that might be of consideration and hasn't been covered here is heel strike......a consideration on certain SWBs.
Old 01-15-07, 11:16 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Opedaler
Ric........Would your preference for the SWB be any different if your riding was primarily long touring type rides? Thanks
If it was primarily touring and I had to make a choice between the two I'd have to say I'd stick with the / my SWB. I said testing different bikes IMO is a must, I've found that unlike a DF you are going to run across a bent that fits you and you'll know it when it happens, doesn't matter if it's SWB or LWB or a Trike it will fit like a glove and it kinda becomes part of you and everything you do on the bike will become second nature. That's what I found with the Strada and IMO that's what you should look for when buying a Bent. Having confidece in what you ride can make a lot of difference in the way you ride and how much you ride.
Old 01-15-07, 12:15 PM
World Tour
A1A cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn, American Bicycle Company, Jamis, Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a truly wonderful LWB. My seat is 15" above the ground. Pedals are at seat height (important for preventing feet numbness). However, it is not suited to situations requiring great maneuverability. But it's perfect for long touring.

Little kids, and everyone I pass on my bike stop and look and often say cool bike. My 8 y/o nephew calls it a chopper hehehe. It's a copy of the old groundhugger. And I do love it.

Either way, go bent and never look back.
Old 01-15-07, 04:02 PM
BlazingPedals

OSS (the counterpoint to UNDER is OVER, not ABOVE,) doesn't require you to hold up your arms. With tiller or hamster bars, your elbows are typically at your sides with forearms extended and your hands resting on the bars. In that case, you don't need to grip the bars, the natural curve of your fingers will 'hook' onto the bars and support the weight of your forearms. U-Bars or 'tweeners' are a little more work for your fingers, about the same as maintaining a grip on a car's steering wheel; but you're still not physically holding your arms up. That would cause tired arms in a hurry! I like OSS best because the handlebars are a convenient place to mount your computer, bell, or light.

Some people like USS for the unimpeded view it provides. Others think it's more comfortable. I suspect the 'alien factor' is a big reason, too - the average person on the street usually doesn't notice the handlebars under the seat and thinks the bike is steered by thought control.
Old 01-15-07, 07:51 PM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BlazingPedals]OSS (the counterpoint to UNDER is OVER, not ABOVE,) x

Jeez, thanks BP. Had I gone into a store and asked for Above Seat Steering, using my acronym I might have gotten my face slapped.
Old 01-15-07, 08:33 PM
bentbaggerlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ric, You hit right on the head when you said >I think you'll find most of whats been said is correct and personal opinon.< Thats one of the great things about recumbent, no rules.

Like yourself, I ride both SWB and LWB bikes. But I find that I prefer the LWB bikes. Even when riding in city traffic, I find them more stable and predicable. Especially when fully loaded on tour. I've ridden both on long tours fully loaded and never had a problem in traffic, even with the tandems. The wheel base on my preferred touring bike (Longbikes Gulfstream) has a 106" wheel base (10" longer then my car!) The only time the bikes length has been a problem was at a motel, they only had 2nd floor rooms left and I had split the bike to get it to go around the corner into the room.

And then we have USS or OSS, I prefer the USS for the view and I find it more comfortable on long rides. With OSS like on the Rans Screamer I find it causes pain in my elbows after a long day in the saddl... ummm seat. It all comes down to personal prefaces.

My recommendation to Oberon, ride as many as you can. Try to find some bent riders in your area. LWB/SWB USS/OSS it's just the start of it. High bottom bracket, low bottom bracket, low racers, high racer, dual 26's, CWB, upright, laid back.... the combinations are endless

Blazing Pedals said:
>I suspect the 'alien factor' is a big reason, too - the average person on the street usually doesn't notice the handlebars under the seat and thinks the bike is steered by thought control.<

I've told people that as a joke. But the alien factor could play a big part in why many of ride bents in the first place.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-15-07, 10:44 PM
oberon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahha. So I should go out and try a bunch of different models and stick to what feels the best. Unfortunately the ONLY bike shop within 40 miles doesn't regularly carry bents. That, and they aren't very nice to noob cyclists, at least to me.
Old 01-16-07, 12:35 AM
TMT
someday i'll be all big

Bikes: wizwheelz trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like a trike. takes a min to get used to but the width is worth it. goes fast, goes slow, goes up, goes down, keeps pace with cars in the city, and makes a great camp platform on those long trips. no rear strain or pain.
Old 01-16-07, 07:21 AM
Opedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=oberon]Ahha. So I should go out and try a bunch of different models and stick to what feels the best. Unfortunately the ONLY bike shop within 40 miles doesn't regularly carry bents.

Oberon
I'm finding this and other related problems. They don't carry bents and if they do they don't have used ones. The test rides on new ones are limited to 30 to 40 minutes (and I don't blame them). Mastering the 99 mile learning curve (I don't need the full hundred 'cause I'm a fast learner) is ususlly out of the question. I'm in a very rural area and can't think of anyone who has one. There is a bent group about six hours away who ride in the summer but must confess that I'm a little intimidated approaching them about giving up one of their bikes for a day. I'm trying to find some rental place within driving distance that has a variety of bikes and just rent different ones for an afternoon.

I guess at least the dealships around here are friendly. If you find a solution, would you kindly post.....Thanks
Old 02-23-07, 03:25 PM
jawnn

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LWB for touring

LWB is best for touring and slow riding....the lower the pedals the easier to balance, but then your butt may suffer on long rides. I think the best compromise is to have the pedal ready to push at seat level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.