Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dry feet? Is it possible during rainy weather?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 01:00 PM
klamyfeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first year cycling during the rainy westcoast fall/winter and I'm finding it very difficult keeping my feet and shoes dry.

I bought waterproof shoe covers but the water spinning off the front wheel and the heavy rain from above hits my legs and drips down, past my shoes covers, and into my socks/shoes.

I've entertained the idea of waterproof pants over top of my shorts but even in the fitting rooms, I find them restrictive and awkward. Another possiblity would be tights or leg warmers but the majority of these are made of lycra and I don't think they would prevent the water from seeping in between my legs and shoe covers.

Would attaching a front fender to deflect water downward and away from my legs help? I'm not sure this would effectively keep the water off legs since it's also raining from above.

Since the temp. on the westcoast is relatively mild, I'd love to cycle all winter and any advice would me much appreciated. Does it really matter if my shoes get wet? I just don't want them to prematurely wear.
Old 10-01-07, 01:04 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by klamyfeat
No.

This is my first year cycling during the rainy westcoast fall/winter and I'm finding it very difficult keeping my feet and shoes dry.

I bought waterproof shoe covers but the water spinning off the front wheel and the heavy rain from above hits my legs and drips down, past my shoes covers, and into my socks/shoes.

I've entertained the idea of waterproof pants over top of my shorts but even in the fitting rooms, I find them restrictive and awkward. Another possiblity would be tights or leg warmers but the majority of these are made of lycra and I don't think they would prevent the water from seeping in between my legs and shoe covers.

Would attaching a front fender to deflect water downward and away from my legs help? I'm not sure this would effectively keep the water off legs since it's also raining from above.

Since the temp. on the westcoast is relatively mild, I'd love to cycle all winter and any advice would me much appreciated. Does it really matter if my shoes get wet? I just don't want them to prematurely wear.
Yes.
Old 10-01-07, 01:06 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Look at the SealSkinz Socks- Waterproof and tight fitting around the ankles- Before I got them it was two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between the two pairs- Still got wet but feet sweated and they kept warm.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-01-07, 01:59 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
My advice is to cycle all winter -- lots of people do in the PNW. Unless your shoes are especially fragile, getting them wet won't hurt them (maybe stain them at worst). Riding in slop is far harder on your bike, even if you ride something that's designed to take some abuse.

There are lots of things you can do to reduce problems with wetness, but it's futile to actually try to be dry. Just get used to it, and clean your chain. You'll get to the point that you like riding in the rain.

How far do you need to ride? Unless distances are really short, you need tights. There's no way I'd take on rain that's barely above freezing without neoprene tights. They don't keep me dry, but you stay warm enough.
Old 10-01-07, 02:04 PM
marin1
Double Prick

Bikes: Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Aluminum Soloist, Cannondale cyclecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy tights at MEC with a water and wind proof front and breathable back. Get some neoprene booties and other than sweat your feet should stay dry.
Old 10-01-07, 02:05 PM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used a new pair of Pearl Izumi booties yesterday over my Sidis and my feet were still wet. Wet but relatively warmer.
Old 10-01-07, 02:16 PM
botto 

to those who mention 'proof'... there is no such thing as wind or water proof.

win & water resistant, yes. proof? no.

Last edited by botto; 10-01-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 03:24 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
A front fender with a mudflap that extends close to the ground will keep a lot of dirty gritty oily water out of your shoes. Eventually your feet still get wet but it takes longer and rainwater is cleaner than road water.
Old 10-01-07, 03:49 PM
klamyfeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I going to try socks like SealSkinz and see if that works.

I get the feeling that no matter what you do, you'll end up with wet feet so make it as enjoyable as possible.
Old 10-01-07, 05:22 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I get the feeling that no matter what you do, you'll end up with wet feet so make it as enjoyable as possible.
This is true, but there's a huge comfort difference between being a little wet and being totally soaked. It's worth figuring this stuff out.
Old 10-01-07, 05:28 PM
klamyfeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, this weekend I rode 3+ hrs in pretty heavy rain with good shoe covers but my feet still got soaked. After approx. 2hrs, my feet and hands were numb such that I was worried about being able to properly brake downhill.

Besides being comfortable, I also want my equipment (shoes) to last. I thought if I could keep my shoes dry, they would last much longer. I'd be pretty disappointed if my cycling shoes got flimsy from always riding in the wet after just one season.
Old 10-01-07, 05:49 PM
yonderboy
Lurker for Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, get fenders. If you don't have eyelets, get SKS RaceBlades or Planet Bike SpeedEZs. Mount a set of flaps on these so they hang down at least 6" from the ground.

After that, decide if you want to get rain pants or not. I've never liked tights because they just hold the cold water against your body. Embrocation will go a long way in keeping the water off your legs, especially if you find rain pants are too hot.

I wear wool socks in my rain-specific cycling shoes. I picked up some booties last year, but I'm still 50/50 on them. Mostly, you need to keep the tops of the booties taped up tight so water doesn't sneak in from the top. I find a lot of water comes up from the cleat holes as well.
Old 10-01-07, 06:34 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yonderboy
First, get fenders. If you don't have eyelets, get SKS RaceBlades or Planet Bike SpeedEZs. Mount a set of flaps on these so they hang down at least 6" from the ground.

After that, decide if you want to get rain pants or not. I've never liked tights because they just hold the cold water against your body. Embrocation will go a long way in keeping the water off your legs, especially if you find rain pants are too hot.

I wear wool socks in my rain-specific cycling shoes. I picked up some booties last year, but I'm still 50/50 on them. Mostly, you need to keep the tops of the booties taped up tight so water doesn't sneak in from the top. I find a lot of water comes up from the cleat holes as well.
Fenders and wool. Wool tights, if you can find 'em. There's a big diff between wool clad feet soaked from a rain (even a driving rain), and that sudden cold splash of oily, gritty, mix of bug guts, petro-slime, and other detritus you get from below when you traverse a particularly soggy spot.
Google up some Paris-Roubaix pix from a wet year. They're too cool for fenders.
I am not.

This didn't come from above:
https://www.sdbc.org/photos/displayim...album=4&pos=16
Old 10-01-07, 07:07 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're too cool to race with fenders, but I know many of them train with them

+1 on the mudflaps, it helps a lot. I am a fan of buddy flaps: buddyflaps.com. Some of the Seattle area shops carry these.

After riding a few hours in the downpour we had on sunday, I came home and ordered the Sidi goretex winter shoes. I've always had a problem with warm feet so hopefully it will help a bit, but certainly not a cheap solution.
Old 10-01-07, 07:09 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by botto

Obviously you haven't heard of submarines.

No.

Yes.

These answers are contradictory.
Old 10-02-07, 01:50 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by operator
Obviously you haven't heard of submarines.

These answers are contradictory.
Old 10-02-07, 03:12 AM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Latex catsuit?
Old 10-02-07, 03:14 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by Treefox
Latex catsuit?
that sounds practical.
Old 10-02-07, 03:15 AM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yonderboy
First, get fenders. If you don't have eyelets, get SKS RaceBlades...
Wrap a bit of electrical tape around the contact points so they don't start scraping your paint after a while.
Old 10-02-07, 03:18 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
No. Fenders? They help. But again, No. You can keep your feet pretty dry on damp roads. In the pouring rain nothing keeps them dry. The key however is keeping them warm, and booties do accomplish that. I've ridden in hard <50ºF rain often enough to tell you that.
Old 10-02-07, 03:21 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by patentcad
No. Fenders? They help. But again, No. You can keep your feet pretty dry on damp roads. In the pouring rain nothing keeps them dry. The key however is keeping them warm, and booties do accomplish that. I've ridden in hard <50ºF rain often enough to tell you that.
fenders make a big difference keeping the road schmutz off of you and your bike.
Old 10-02-07, 03:40 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
fenders make a big difference keeping the road schmutz off of you and your bike.
I use a seatpost-mounted rear fender to eliminate roadass blackstripe syndrome.

Old 10-02-07, 03:47 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by patentcad
I use a seatpost-mounted rear fender to eliminate roadass blackstripe syndrome.

those are pretty worthless (at least on the road i ride on).

the sks raceblades are much better, full fenders even better.
Old 10-02-07, 03:59 AM
Pasqually

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders are the sensible thing to do for wet or winter riding.

I tried to use racebaldes and found they moved too much and would rub the tyres or the front would hit the downtube. Full fenders save your bike, your shoes (to a certain point) and will make sure other riders don't avoid riding with you (at least because of your bike anyway).
Old 10-02-07, 04:05 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those are pretty worthless (at least on the road i ride on).

the sks raceblades are much better, full fenders even better.
Agreed. The race blades lack a mud flap, and don't wrap around as far as an honest set of fenders. They also don't cover the brake calipers, so my brakes are covered in sand, mud, and dead slugs after a good ride in the rain.