Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 03:06 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i likes, that color is awesome
Originally Posted by ratell

My new commuter:
Masi Speciale CX
The dealer swapped the cross tires for marathons and added fenders and a rack. Otherwise it's stock.
Old 05-20-10, 07:50 AM
knucks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need to figure out the best way to strap things to the ghetto front rack.
Old 05-20-10, 09:02 AM
WillynHook
IguanaFred Rider

Bikes: Giant Iguana - Freded-Up since 1992

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swapped over my daily ride to a spring/summer configuration, plus added some new bits for the first time in 19 years.

Pulled off the winter fenders and marathon plus tires. Cleaned and lubed everything. Put on some new Creme Fat Franks, swapped out the old cantilever brakes and cables for new direct pull brakes and cables, and added a few other items to really pull off some heavy FRED-like bling. Got a few new head shakes on the way into work this morning (people just taking in my coolness factor )

Next up this summer.... a big dummy build. Can't wait.

Dr. Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
summer1..jpg (46.7 KB, 155 views)
summer2..jpg (48.7 KB, 137 views)
summer3..jpg (50.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-20-10, 11:04 AM
summitseeker

Bikes: Turner RFX, Felt Curbside, 2 homeade Cruiser Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 2008 Felt Curbside, with a few modifications. Might throw a rear rack on it soon, backpack has been getting a little hot lately.

Also going to change the pedals soon.
Attached Images
IMG_0866..jpg (95.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-22-10, 10:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Looking like a real commuter now and got a chance to test those fenders on the ride home from the shop tonight...

Old 05-24-10, 05:43 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is what happened after one too many beers. I covered the frame in Camoflauge Tape. Looks pretty good I think.
Gives me some ideas for a new paint job.
Old 05-25-10, 01:45 PM
biketinker88

Bikes: Blue Giant Rincon, Green and Black SS Raleigh Olympiat, Silver japanese made road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my rig (for now)

Old blue, Giant Rincon bought at a thrift store for 25 dollars. I added the big earl saddle Schwinn tires that were laying around the shop and some super thick tubes (to deal with the deadly goat heads), oh and a lot of seat post.

IMAG0044[1]..jpg
Old 05-25-10, 04:22 PM
finn1911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
In my second day of ownership, after the first day commuting on it. There are times I wish for a lower 1st gear. But I wasn't willing to spend the extra $330 for the 8-speed model. It is a blast, going back to a rear coaster brake. I never realized how accustomed I became to a freewheeling hub.

Topeak rack:

Shimano Nexus 3-spd hub:

Bontrager leather saddle:

Center stand:
This is beautiful! What brand of fenders and chainguard do you have on there? I am hoping to build something like this in the future for myself. Great bike!
Old 05-25-10, 09:15 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Here's my stable:

^^My fair weather commuter, an early 80's Celeste Bianchi road bike. Super light for a steel frame, and on those 23mm tires, I feel like I can really fly.

^^My foul weather commuter, a 2000 Raleigh Inferno mountain bike, refitted with drop bars, bar-end shifters, a road cassette and rear derailleur, fenders, and 1.5" semi-slick tires. All it needs is a rack, and its transformation to the ultimate commuter bike will be be complete.

^^I commuted on this 2009 Kona Jake the Snake several times last year, but haven't yet this year. It has become my long-distance bike, taking me on my first 200 km brevet this year.

Any kudos regarding the Bianchi and the Raleigh conversion should be directed to Sixty Fiver, as he was the one who put all the work into making those bikes look like they do. He did a really awesome job making both those bikes run smooth as silk.
Old 05-25-10, 09:56 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketinker88
Old blue, Giant Rincon bought at a thrift store for 25 dollars. I added the big earl saddle Schwinn tires that were laying around the shop and some super thick tubes (to deal with the deadly goat heads), oh and a lot of seat post.

Attachment 152420
Gotta love those thrift store bikes.
Old 05-25-10, 10:28 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

That really is a pretty bike... am happy you are enjoying it so much and you will probably get to put the Raleigh to work before the week is over as the weather is supposed to suck.
Old 05-26-10, 08:18 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finn1911
This is beautiful! What brand of fenders and chainguard do you have on there? I am hoping to build something like this in the future for myself. Great bike!
They're stock, so Gary Fisher I guess. By the way, the saddle & grips are not leather, but "pleather." I like this bike more each time I ride it, so I'm thinking of investing in a Brooks saddle for it and maybe the Brooks stacked leather grips too.
Old 05-26-10, 12:43 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
That really is a pretty bike... am happy you are enjoying it so much and you will probably get to put the Raleigh to work before the week is over as the weather is supposed to suck.
Friday is supposed to suck weather-wise, but I have Friday off this week Rode the Raleigh last Friday, though, in the rain. Love the drops, the barcons are still growing on me, and I have to relearn my gearing with that new cassette, especially on climbs. But I'm totally happy with it.
Old 05-27-10, 01:26 AM
DJConspicious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked this Schwinn up last week, officially making it my main commuter;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this is my work-horse for heavier loads and bad weather;

Old 05-27-10, 10:14 AM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Short video of my commuter bike. under 400.00 dollars

Old 05-27-10, 04:54 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest version of the bike, a Raleigh Police F500:

Went from a rack with single Wald folding basket to a dual Wald basket to a Viva saddlebag support and Zimbale 11L saddle bag.

Swapped the sprung Brooks for an unsprung Velo Orange touring saddle.

Had trekking bars, spent a lot of time on the sides but had to constantly move back and forth to get at the brakes and shifter. So I grabbed the drop bars from my Schwinn Le Tour to do drop bars on the cheap. Waiting for Niagra to ship out my brake levers. Need to comb through the box at the co-op for a bar end shifter.

Took off the triple and had the LBS install a single speed crankset I bought of CL. Really loving the 1x8 set up. Also installed a set of MKS GR-9 pedals and VO half clips. Liking it and found it pretty natural to get in and out of the clips. May eventually put these on the utility bike build and go for full toe clips and straps or clipless.

Suspended fork was swapped for a rigid Surly fork. Taking off the suspension parts really made the ride better.

Front tire is 26 x 1.5 and the back is 26 x 1.75 (?-pretty sure)

Need some fenders. Picked up a set at Performance but I need longer V-brake arms. The disc tab on the fork was also causing some issues. Fenders went on the utility bike. Looking for suggestions on the brake clearance and some solid fenders.

I'm also going to eventually add a front rack with platform and pannier rails. Something to give me a bit more capacity than just the saddle bag and a place to carry my chain lock when I need it. Liking the Jannd Extreme. Also want to figure out a way to mount my new Niterider light. Have a 0 rise stem I could add and have a small hacked off section of bar to clamp the light on.
Old 05-27-10, 07:14 PM
That Linux Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double post by accident. :/

Last edited by That Linux Guy; 05-27-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 07:15 PM
That Linux Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJConspicious
I just picked this Schwinn up last week, officially making it my main commuter;

DJConspicuous, I have the same panniers. Do you have any issues with them swinging into your rear wheel a bit?
Old 05-28-10, 09:34 AM
Zap Hassellhoff

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never posted pics before, so lets see how this goes. Sorry in advance if these are to big, I re-read the how-to's.

My bike: 2010 Kona ***** Inc. with a few swaped parts. I just changed out the stock 160mm avid disc rotor for a 203mm downhill. Yea it might be overkill, but looks pretty cool. The shock drop bar has been changed out for the WTB dirt drop bar. It's comfortable and I like the wider grip position. The original Selle-Italia saddle was kinda junky so I started using my old WTB Laser again.

I've been rinding this since December and have about 800 miles on it plus a 108 mile "century" ride from Long Beach to San Diego. I ride about 8 miles daily, sometimes more.

The ***** seems to come up a lot on "possible commuter lists", but I haven't seen too many on the forum. I thought it would be a good idea to post my own. I ride in Long Beach, CA. The goal with this bike was to create something fun and safe to ride on the busy streets of the city which consists of quick stops, fast sprints and generally trying say off cars and out from under buses.

On a side note, I feel that commuting is most often a solitary endevour. This forum/thread is great because it gives us all an opportunity to check each others bikes, which all seem to be very personalised machines.

Attached Images
Kona 006..jpg (99.0 KB, 927 views)
Kona 005..jpg (98.6 KB, 940 views)
Kona 008..jpg (99.9 KB, 931 views)

Last edited by Zap Hassellhoff; 05-28-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: SP
Old 05-28-10, 09:56 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zap Hassellhoff
I've never posted a pic before, so lets how this one goes. Sorry in advance if these are to big, I re-read the how-to's.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Bigger pix are nice, the better to see details with.

Looks like a really nice bike. Carbon fork & disc brakes, wow. I thought about discs, but was scared off by some comments about how they may be less durable than rim brakes, as far as getting hit from the side at the bike rack. Well, that and the extra cost, hehehe.

Dual rear blinkies? What's the rationale? Two points --> better depth perception for drivers or just twice the rearward light? When I'm driving behind a cyclist with even a basic LED blinky, I NEVER have any problem seeing him, even in pitch dark. They're visible for miles.

What all can you fit in the small seat bag? Can you get a tube & basic tools in there?

How do you carry your commuting luggage? Messenger bag?

DJ - Nice Varsity. They're re-using that name from the 60s or so, but they still look like nice bikes.
Old 05-28-10, 10:40 AM
Zap Hassellhoff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dual rear blinkies? What's the rationale? Two points --> better depth perception for drivers or just twice the rearward light? When I'm driving behind a cyclist with even a basic LED blinky, I NEVER have any problem seeing him, even in pitch dark. They're visible for miles.

What all can you fit in the small seat bag? Can you get a tube & basic tools in there?

How do you carry your commuting luggage? Messenger bag?
Last year I met this rider named Dave, who commutes between Anaheim and Long Beach, on major urban streets. He has been using duel lights for a while. His argument has really been about maximum visibilty. After that, I started to. It seems like every knucklehead in Southern California is either on a cell phone, texting or distracted in a hundred different ways. I often ride at night and am pretty paranoid about getting hit. I feel like the alternating stobes will draw a drivers attention toward me, therfore acknowledgement I exist as a human being. I'm not dead yet, so I guess they're working ok.

About the saddle bag, I carry a multi tool, patch kit, tire levers, a shop towel and $5 in $1's. My ride mostly follows a bus route so if I flat out mid-ride, I'll just take public transit. If I flat out at work or school, I can spend the time and fix it there.

I carry everything in a backpack. I've tried shoulder bags, they slip around to much. I have a set of panniers but removing them to carry stuff around during the day has not proven to be practical. I've worked to cut weight down, my best idea has just been to just leave a lock chained to the rack at school and one at work. That helped alot.

As for the discs, no problem at all. They are a little finicky to set up and to keep tuned but their stoping ability is second to none.

Last edited by Zap Hassellhoff; 05-28-10 at 10:48 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-28-10, 01:57 PM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zap Hassellhoff
My bike: 2010 Kona ***** Inc. with a few swaped parts. I just changed out the stock 160mm avid disc rotor for a 203mm downhill. Yea it might be overkill, but looks pretty cool. The shock drop bar has been changed out for the WTB dirt drop bar. It's comfortable and I like the wider grip position. The original Selle-Italia saddle was kinda junky so I started using my old WTB Laser again.

Is that fork rated for a disc that large? I highly doubt that it is. Discs put huge stress on the fork, I would swap back to the 160. YMMV, but I wouldn't do the swap for the bigger rotor.
Old 05-28-10, 02:27 PM
Zap Hassellhoff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that fork rated for a disc that large? I highly doubt that it is. Discs put huge stress on the fork, I would swap back to the 160. YMMV, but I wouldn't do the swap for the bigger rotor.
Yea, I thought about that. I did the swap 2 days ago and am just having fun with it right now. I'll probably switch it out at some point down the road. Who knows, maybe the fork will shatter into a million pieces and I'll be forced into finding another one.
Old 05-28-10, 06:57 PM
Low J.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Sirrus commuter.

Old 05-28-10, 07:13 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i finished sort of i forgot to buy some bar tape but quite a big change ill see how she does on sunday before and after pics(note ive been running it in the first pic for a few years so its gonna be like a whole new bike)

</a>
Attached Images
newbikepic..jpg (100.6 KB, 150 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.