Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going to purchase a new road bike. Advice & opinions welcomed!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Going to purchase a new road bike. Advice & opinions welcomed!

Old 07-01-13, 08:36 AM
MNX1024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At $1200, you may get a brand new carbon frame with 105 on a bike shop. If you're paying that much, just go over to Strictly Bicycles, they should still have a Carbon Felt with 105 there.
Old 07-01-13, 09:10 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024
At $1200, you may get a brand new carbon frame with 105 on a bike shop. If you're paying that much, just go over to Strictly Bicycles, they should still have a Carbon Felt with 105 there.
Really? All carbon? I'll have to check that place out. I don't have a problem buying a Felt bike.
Old 07-01-13, 09:31 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcracin
Really? All carbon? I'll have to check that place out. I don't have a problem buying a Felt bike.
Yes, but only thing is I can't guarantee that they still have it in stock or in your size. Doesn't hurt to ask. Just want to say, best if you talk about the price on the spot. Nelson is the guy you may want to talk to.

This is the place I was talking about:
https://www.strictlybicycles.com/
Old 07-01-13, 09:36 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea found them on google. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't make it until Saturday since they're in NJ. I'm still on the hunt. I send someone off craigslist a text. Has a specialized road bike for $450. Seemed like Sora components and barely used.
Old 07-01-13, 11:08 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say avoid Sora if you can. Especially if you plan to get more serious with this and especially if you're the type that have the upgrade bug. Honestly, if you really want to save money, go back to the Ventura Race on the craigslist before. That's a really good bike for the price.
Old 07-01-13, 11:35 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to mention, you should ride there! Based on my rough estimation on the data you provided, your round trip should be no more than 2-3 miles more than your 35 mile ride from your place to Central Park(including the 3 loops) and back. This will give you an idea on how to access 9W and the Palisades Park.

Just go all the way to the greenway next to the West Side Highway and go up from there. As you exit the greenway through an overpass, you just go over the George Washington Bridge, then you just make a right and continue until you see the bike shop which is on your left. You can not miss it. An important note, towards the end of the greenway before you go on the overpass, there's two consecutive extremely short and steep hill. I know it's your first time, but do not get off the bike and walk up hill, or you will turn that into a habit! Here's a tip, the first one should be easier to get up because you'll be coming from a flat area going down a small decline, you can use the momentum to get up. The second one just drop to your lowest gears and HTFU. Also a good idea to get to the greenway by 8AM to avoid runners, freds, etc. It is a MUP, so be careful.
Old 07-01-13, 11:42 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, thanks for all the good advice! Only thing is I was DEAD after that 35mile ride lol. I guess I'm in pretty bad shape. I can do 25 miles very comfortably. That next 10 miles is pretty bad. I have to keep working at it. This 30lb bike isn't helping either. I try to approach hills with some speed but I lose all the momentum.
Old 07-10-13, 07:23 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but only thing is I can't guarantee that they still have it in stock or in your size. Doesn't hurt to ask. Just want to say, best if you talk about the price on the spot. Nelson is the guy you may want to talk to.

This is the place I was talking about:
https://www.strictlybicycles.com/
I haven't made it to NJ yet. I was away for the 4th of july weekend. I did go to a LBS yesterday and test road a few specialized and bianchi bikes. The Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora in 53cm fit me very well and I felt very comfortable on it.

The only thing is that I found it to be heavy. I didn't like the shifting of the Sora too much but it was all he had to test ride. Are the 105 components significantly lighter? I found the CAAD 10 to feel a lot lighter than the Bianchi.
Old 07-10-13, 07:37 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CAAD10 is actually one of the lightest aluminum frame out there, comparable to most entry level carbon, but minus the vibration dampening effect. 105 group set is definitely lighter than Sora, but not by much. Since you found out your size, now all you have to do is compare the geometry of the bike that fits you to other bikes you have in mind. After finding out you have clearance, all you have to worry about is your top tube length. Even if there's a difference in a few mm, this can be mitigated with stem length and fore & aft of the saddle.
Old 07-10-13, 08:13 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CAAD10 is actually one of the lightest aluminum frame out there, comparable to most entry level carbon, but minus the vibration dampening effect. 105 group set is definitely lighter than Sora, but not by much. Since you found out your size, now all you have to do is compare the geometry of the bike that fits you to other bikes you have in mind. After finding out you have clearance, all you have to worry about is your top tube length. Even if there's a difference in a few mm, this can be mitigated with stem length and fore & aft of the saddle.
Yea so far I'm comfortable with a 52 on a CAAD 10, 53 on Bianchi, and 54 on Specialized.

The LBS had Jamis bikes, but nothing in my size. Thing is, even though I might spend a little more on the CAAD 10, why not get the lightest bike possible?
Old 07-10-13, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by rcracin
Thing is, even though I might spend a little more on the CAAD 10, why not get the lightest bike possible?
Um, because that's only one parameter and not a terribly important one? All other things equal, lighter is better... 'cept it's very rare that all other things are equal. If you're going to obsess over grams, do it after you make sure it's the right size, the right geometry, the right ride, etc.
Old 07-10-13, 08:26 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Um, because that's only one parameter and not a terribly important one? All other things equal, lighter is better... 'cept it's very rare that all other things are equal. If you're going to obsess over grams, do it after you make sure it's the right size, the right geometry, the right ride, etc.
I have the correct size at 52, the geometry..I don't think I'm at a level to be able to judge that no matter what bike I buy, and it seems that the CAAD10 5 comes with more 105 components than the Bianchi.
Old 07-10-13, 10:12 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you know your size, you want a light bike, and you don't mind paying extra for it. Then I serious suggest getting an entry level carbon instead of a light aluminum. Frame is most likely lighter and comfortable, and at the same time the upgrade ability is much higher.
Old 07-22-13, 07:05 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up with a new CAAD10 105. Only rode it for about 20 minutes so far. I'll hopefully take it out for an hour during the week once or twice and then a nice 2-3 hour ride on Saturday or Sunday.

I don't think I'll change anything on it. If I need anything more, I'll upgrade to a carbon bike at a later time. I'll be reasonably set with the lightness of the CAAD10 and performance of the 105 groupset. Now just to rack up the miles.
Old 07-22-13, 07:51 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Congratulation on the new bike! Just go and get more miles under your belt! Did you go clipless or just platform for now?

Another thing, once you're use to being on a bike, start riding with people faster than you. That's how you'll improve!
Old 07-22-13, 08:16 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Congratulation on the new bike! Just go and get more miles under your belt! Did you go clipless or just platform for now?

Another thing, once you're use to being on a bike, start riding with people faster than you. That's how you'll improve!
Cheap platform for now. I bought riding gear a month ago, shorts & a jersey. I'll probably wait until next season to investment in shoes & clip in pedals.

I'm mostly riding by myself due to tough scheduling. It's hard to commit to any one thing at the present time.
Old 07-24-13, 11:05 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it weird that I fee like I'm facing more wind resistance on my road bike versus when I rode the hybride bike? I don't think I'm going any faster.
Old 07-29-13, 07:57 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rode 38 miles around manhattan yesterday. Didn't have breakfast which wasn't a great idea. Sore as hell today. I need to cycle more and more.

On another note, scored a 2012 caad10 105 pretty much brand new for the girlfriend for $900. Even if she doesn't pick up cycling as much, I'll have everything but a frame to build up another nice bike! I'll search around for a carbon frame if it comes to that.
Old 07-29-13, 08:09 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This thread sorely needs some pictures.
Old 07-29-13, 11:23 AM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
This thread sorely needs some pictures.
since you asked,

Old 07-29-13, 01:55 PM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks nice, but with those reflectors the members here are gonna be all over you like stink on a monkey!
Old 07-29-13, 02:00 PM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on the pedals? lol el cheapo regular pedals until im ready for clip ins.
Old 07-29-13, 02:54 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the pics, but now that camera sorely needs a flash or a wider aperture!
Old 07-29-13, 03:11 PM
rcracin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Thanks for the pics, but now that camera sorely needs a flash or a wider aperture!
Cloudy day & busted iphone 4s. Can't fit the DSLR in the little bag under my seat ha
Old 07-29-13, 03:22 PM
Rewillia

Bikes: Road, mountain, cruiser, and e-bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
advice and opinions?

as I have learned the advice is to go to your LBS, check out all the road bikes, try them out for yourself, leave, go to another LBS try theirs, etc....then buy the bike you like and want and are happy with price wise - and forget all the opinions which are always subjective including mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.