Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

wheelsets under $1k

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

wheelsets under $1k

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 05:54 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024
Let's see, your Aksium weighs about 1735 grams and my custom built Rail 34 weighs 1388 grams. The rovals, with the rotors attached, weight will be very close to your Aksium. I'll let you decide with that.
What I heard -----> I'm shaving a whopping 347 grams (three-quarters of a pound) between 2....that's TWO.....wheels. And I spent about $1,000 more in doing so.

Weight weenies forum is 2nd door on your right ------>

(And, yes, I'm juuust kidding. I know good wheels are good wheels, I just don't know if they're as significant to us recreational folk)
Old 08-15-14, 06:48 PM
MNX1024

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
What I heard -----> I'm shaving a whopping 347 grams (three-quarters of a pound) between 2....that's TWO.....wheels. And I spent about $1,000 more in doing so.

Weight weenies forum is 2nd door on your right ------>

(And, yes, I'm juuust kidding. I know good wheels are good wheels, I just don't know if they're as significant to us recreational folk)
I can throw the same question back at you. Does recreational folks need a Cannondale Supersix Evo? Wouldn't any old Aluminium frame with the lowest tier group set be fine?

Depending on which wheelset you're getting, dropping weight is not the only benefit you will be reaping. Using my Rail 34 as an example, with it's depth I am more aerodynamic and the shape allows me to be invisible to crosswind. Believe it or not my training wheels with 21mm deep box shape rim actually suffers from crosswind when compared to my Rail 34. On top of that, the Rail 34 is a wider rim, meaning it would allow for usage of lower PSI for a smoother ride and allows for a wider contact patch for better grip.
Old 08-15-14, 07:32 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But we weren't talking bikes, we were talking wheels.

And your point wasn't "other benefits", it was strictly weight. (I can appreciate the other benefits, it's one of the reasons I'm happy w/ my Aksiums)

And, no, I certainly don't need a SuperSix Evo but, then again, I don't need a bike at all.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, I was just trying to point out that the Aksium is a great trainer. (its latest iteration, as you mentioned, is lighter than ever going down a few hundred grams in the last couple years) And durability being one of the OP's key interests, the Aksium fits that bill well!

And while I don't care how somebody spends their money, I see the OP started on one train of thought & is now ending up about $400 over his previous budget. If anything I'm empathetic........I can overspend w/ eyes bigger than my stomach as well as anyone.

I can throw the same question back at you. Does recreational folks need a Cannondale Supersix Evo? Wouldn't any old Aluminium frame with the lowest tier group set be fine?

Depending on which wheelset you're getting, dropping weight is not the only benefit you will be reaping. Using my Rail 34 as an example, with it's depth I am more aerodynamic and the shape allows me to be invisible to crosswind. Believe it or not my training wheels with 21mm deep box shape rim actually suffers from crosswind when compared to my Rail 34. On top of that, the Rail 34 is a wider rim, meaning it would allow for usage of lower PSI for a smoother ride and allows for a wider contact patch for better grip.
Old 08-15-14, 07:34 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd check out Boyd. I think they do a very nice job for what they charge. You can go Aluminum with the Altamonts, or their carbon wheels are pretty light for around $1500 depending how deep you want to go.
Old 08-15-14, 08:44 PM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
But we weren't talking bikes, we were talking wheels.

And your point wasn't "other benefits", it was strictly weight. (I can appreciate the other benefits, it's one of the reasons I'm happy w/ my Aksiums)

And, no, I certainly don't need a SuperSix Evo but, then again, I don't need a bike at all.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, I was just trying to point out that the Aksium is a great trainer. (its latest iteration, as you mentioned, is lighter than ever going down a few hundred grams in the last couple years) And durability being one of the OP's key interests, the Aksium fits that bill well!

And while I don't care how somebody spends their money, I see the OP started on one train of thought & is now ending up about $400 over his previous budget. If anything I'm empathetic........I can overspend w/ eyes bigger than my stomach as well as anyone.
On the very first post that I've quoted you on, your argument was about "weight only" when comparing your Aksium to a carbon wheel set. The said wheelset ended up being one from a 2015 Specialized Tarmac Disc, which is most likely a Roval Rapide CLX 40 Disc SCS. Hence, I gave the weight from a wheelset I know of and rode before, my November Rail 34. Also, explained to you why there's not much of a difference when you compared the Roval's to your Aksium.

Then you moved on to counter argue my explanation with how one has to spend an extra $1000 to "only" have a weight reduction. Which is not true because of the other benefits that I've explained.

Concerning the OP's requirement, he did mention light weight as being one of them, right below strong. And, the Aksium is far from being light with that weight. He also mention that these will primarily be race wheels that would see some training if ride quality is good, while hinting towards a carbon rim with aerodynamic property. Once again, the Aksium does not fall into that category.

With what's said in the above and in conjunction with the OP's requirement I have recommended a custom built Pacenti SL23, which satisfy all of his critierias and has the potential to fall well below his original budget. Since the Pacenti SL23 is one of the stiffest aftermarket aluminium rims out there, even comes close to a deeper carbon rim. It's also 26mm deep, which gives it some aero benefits. With it being 24.5mm wide at the brake track and 18mm wide interior, it will allow for a very smooth ride due to a lower PSI needed. As for hubs, it's up to what the OP choose for the build if he goes this route.
Old 08-16-14, 08:56 AM
November Dave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
man, they really need a 42mm size wheel.. the 34 is too shallow and the 52 is too deep
Would you elaborate on this if you don't mind? I'd like to know what parameters you have in mind. We really saw a 40-42-44 as a wasted depth. Not getting much aero benefit (303 is 45mm and a significant step down from 52/404-land), you don't save much weight, the crosswind stability difference isn't appreciably better than 52 (52 tested less impacted by crosswinds than an Enve 3.4 front). Just really interested in what you're looking for at that depth. Thanks.

Sorry for thread highjack. OP get Kinlin XC279s or SL23s with good hubs and enough good spokes from a good builder. Comfortably within your budget, lighter and faster with way better hubs than you've got, with verified solid aerodynamics (gee, thanks, company that paid for and shared that test with the world...). Literally every good custom builder/shop that does wheels has access to what you need there. If you want tubeless, Stan's 400 rims.
Old 08-16-14, 10:50 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by November Dave
Would you elaborate on this if you don't mind? I'd like to know what parameters you have in mind. We really saw a 40-42-44 as a wasted depth. Not getting much aero benefit (303 is 45mm and a significant step down from 52/404-land), you don't save much weight, the crosswind stability difference isn't appreciably better than 52 (52 tested less impacted by crosswinds than an Enve 3.4 front). Just really interested in what you're looking for at that depth. Thanks.

Sorry for thread highjack. OP get Kinlin XC279s or SL23s with good hubs and enough good spokes from a good builder. Comfortably within your budget, lighter and faster with way better hubs than you've got, with verified solid aerodynamics (gee, thanks, company that paid for and shared that test with the world...). Literally every good custom builder/shop that does wheels has access to what you need there. If you want tubeless, Stan's 400 rims.

Dave, first off, I love the wheel and what you guy are doing. As for the performance #s I will trust what you are saying regarding the gains, my point was solely from an aesthetic angle.

I like the depth of the 303 and Carbone 40c. My choices with November are 34 or 52, something in the middle would be nice, I am leaning towards the 52 for my SuperSix with 25mm tires
Old 08-16-14, 11:32 AM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the same predicament as you for about 3 weeks. I`ve looked at a LOT of sets from different companies, used and new. My requirements were under 50mm and under 1500g

proscloset on eBay has been selling brand new custom Reynolds wheelsets (both clincher and tubular) at different rim depths. I just got an Assault set (46mm) for less than $1000 complete with skewers, rim tape and pads.

caveat is of course there`s no warranty so that`s the risk you`d have to take.

Last edited by KantoBoy; 08-16-14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-16-14, 01:33 PM
dleccord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a custom built with Pacenti SL23 rims, even with high end hubs they'll still end up below $1000. You can get them to be sub 1400 grams depending on hub choices. They'll be one of the smoothest ride you'll ever have for a aluminum rim because they are wide!

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I've built a set laced to Bike Hub Store's UL66 and UL190, essentially Bitex hubs, with DT Aerolite 20F(radial)/24R(2x). They came out to 1367 grams.

how heavy are you and how smooth are the roads where you ride?
Old 08-16-14, 02:01 PM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dleccord
Depending on the time of the year, I am 145lb to 160lb fully kitted. I'm from NYC, so roads are notoriously full of pot holes. Though I ride outside of NYC, at least a third of the route isn't smooth. My wheel's maiden ride was 120 miles where 85% of the route is full of chips, cracks, holes, and unpaved roads. This was done at a 25+mph pace. Anyway, couple of thousand miles on it already and still true since it was built.
Old 08-16-14, 02:01 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dleccord
At any point in the year I can be between 135 to 150. Roads can be from potholed to smooth tarmac.
Old 08-16-14, 02:05 PM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Concerning the OP's requirement, he did mention light weight as being one of them, right below strong. And, the Aksium is far from being light with that weight. He also mention that these will primarily be race wheels that would see some training if ride quality is good, while hinting towards a carbon rim with aerodynamic property. Once again, the Aksium does not fall into that category.
Yep, this. I'm looking for race wheels, but possibly use as training wheels as well if nice.
Old 08-16-14, 06:56 PM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made my order! November Rail 52 wheelset!
Old 08-16-14, 07:50 PM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
You will be one happy man!
Old 08-16-14, 08:27 PM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will be one happy man!
Thanks for the advice!

I've got some questions for those that are in the know...

1) latex tubes ok to use with carbon clinchers?

2) tire levers ok to use for tire installation or is it recommended to just use your hands?
Old 08-17-14, 02:10 AM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

I've got some questions for those that are in the know...

1) latex tubes ok to use with carbon clinchers?

2) tire levers ok to use for tire installation or is it recommended to just use your hands?
Carbon does not dissipate heat fast enough and latex are more susceptible to heat. Therefore, no.

You may use tire levers to finish it. Yo make life easier, start from the opposite of the valve and end at the valve.
Old 08-17-14, 06:49 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Carbon does not dissipate heat fast enough and latex are more susceptible to heat. Therefore, no.

You may use tire levers to finish it. Yo make life easier, start from the opposite of the valve and end at the valve.
Do NOT use tire levers to install a tire.

Do NOT Finish at the valve. Start at the valve to avoid damaging the tube.

Old 08-17-14, 10:19 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Uh oh. Didn't the tube / valve stem debate thread run like 10 pages?
Old 08-17-14, 10:29 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Do NOT use tire levers to install a tire.
DO use a Crank Brothers "Speedier Lever" - plastic (i.e., softer than your rims), greatly facilitates removal and installation, protects knuckles.... brilliant. I can't imagine life without it.
Old 08-17-14, 11:13 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a set myself about a week ago. They seem to get great reviews and I look forward to trying them out ( my first set of carbon wheels).
Old 08-17-14, 07:19 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Uh oh. Didn't the tube / valve stem debate thread run like 10 pages?
Yes, and the correct method was arrived at.

1. No levers for installation,

2, Start at the valve.

Old 09-04-14, 05:11 PM
kevmk81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I have the wheels now. However, after less than a months worth of riding, my November Rails need trued. Uh... is that normal????

My area isn't particularly bad - pavement wise.

Two 50ish minute races last weekend.

But seriously? Already out of true?
Old 09-04-14, 06:18 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Yes, and the correct method was arrived at.

1. No levers for installation,

2, Start at the valve.

You are half right.
Old 09-04-14, 06:24 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I have the wheels now. However, after less than a months worth of riding, my November Rails need trued. Uh... is that normal????

My area isn't particularly bad - pavement wise.

Two 50ish minute races last weekend.

But seriously? Already out of true?
It's not uncommon to need to touch up a new wheelset after a short break in period, but if you continue to have problems I would contact the manufacturer.
Old 09-04-14, 06:28 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht

You are half right.
Which a half more than you, non?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.