Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

living car free / I wish

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

living car free / I wish

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 02:26 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
TBH, I never cared for the term "carlight" either. But I don't think people who use it are trying to fool themselves or anybody else. I think of it as a shorthand way of saying "I'm trying to be less reliant on cars, but I'm not all the way there yet." Or, to operationalize it, it could pertain to somebody who doesn't personally own a car and rarely uses one, but somebody in the household does own one.

In my own case, I was carfree for years. Then my family moved in with me and they do own one car. I never drive the car and I rarely ride in it, but the car does fetch home the household groceries and supplies. Therefore, I don't consider myself fully carfree. I hate to have to type all that information every time, but with no accepted definition of "carlight" to fall back on, I have little choice.

Again, a few people on this forum have filibustered several attempts by me and others to stipulate definitions for these frequently used terms. And yet those same people repetitively condemn people who "misuse" a word that they refuse to define. My challenge to these whiners is to either a) establish a definition that we can all use or b) STFU about it.
Is it a "fillibuster" if I object to your definition? I have been uncomfortable with all of the definitions I've seen proposed. I think "car free" and "car light" are both best keep as loosely defined. Car free means "without a car". Car light means "less use of a car". Try to nail it down exactly and you'll get nowhere because no definition covers all the unique circumstances of people's lives. What do I mean by that? Read the endless threads on this topic.
Old 12-04-16, 02:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
AFIK there isn't one person on this forum that's truly car-free...Even those who don't own a car are not truly car-free because I am sure that they regularly bum rides from family members or friends or co-workers and regularly use ride share or taxis or busses. ( BTW busses are motor vehicles, so you're not really car-free if you use one)...
I am sure there are plenty of people who don't drive everyday and define themselves as car-light...car-free is just a buzz-word.
Old 12-04-16, 07:58 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
AFIK there isn't one person on this forum that's truly car-free...
Unless you strip the term of the philosophical baggage and use it simply to denote not owning an automobile. The majority of car free people aren't against automobiles, they just don't own one. For them, car free means not making payments or paying insurance, fuel, maintenance and parking. From their standpoint, they're no less car free if they ride in the cars of others.
Old 12-04-16, 09:03 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
There probably were horse-free folks in 1900 for similar reasons-- e.g., they're expensive and you need a place to put them and, all that horesh*t...
Old 12-04-16, 09:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
My apologies,

realizing some people are car free or car light because of financial concerns, I thought this forum could handle my original whining and grumbling about car expenses. Maybe I'm not car light. I didn't realize there was a qualification. It is sad that instead of providing encouragement to one another in our journey thru this world, (bicycle, plane, train or otherwise), that we would tear down people we've never even met face to face over such nonsense. We suck... Merry Christmas, and may we not suck so much next year.
This is the qualification for this forum:

"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."

And while some might be car free or car light because of financial concerns, not all of us are in that situation. Some of us choose to be car light because it is less hassle, it is more convenient, because we want to incorporate more fitness into our lives, or a number of other reasons.

If you truly think that going car light or car free would alleviate your financial difficulties, then do it.

In this forum, there may be a lot of bickering and fighting about a lot of different things ... but we aren't grumbling about $3000 transmissions in here because that's not what living the car free or car light lifestyle is all about.
Old 12-04-16, 09:44 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
If your living car light and your transmission blows and you don't have the money to fix it then, BAM! You're now car-free.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 12-04-16, 10:10 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan and I have something in the neighbourhood of 21 bicycles.

Yes, we do have vehicle repairs now and then which could buy us another used bicycle or inexpensive department store bicycle ... but we've got something in the neighbourhood of 21 bicycles. How many more do we need?
Silly question. Of course you need one more.

The number of bikes you have is n; the optimal number is n+1.
Old 12-04-16, 10:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
If your living car light and your transmission blows and you don't have the money to fix it then, BAM! You're now car-free.
Exactly!!

And so you start looking into other options ... the bus, cycling, walking ...
Old 12-04-16, 10:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Silly question. Of course you need one more.

The number of bikes you have is n; the optimal number is n+1.
Well, of course ....

We'd like to add a pair of penny-farthings and a pair of recumbents to the collection .... and then ... and then ...
Old 12-04-16, 10:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Unless you strip the term of the philosophical baggage and use it simply to denote not owning an automobile. The majority of car free people aren't against automobiles, they just don't own one. For them, car free means not making payments or paying insurance, fuel, maintenance and parking. From their standpoint, they're no less car free if they ride in the cars of others.
How about those impure folks who take an ambulance to the ER when mortally injured, instead of getting conveyed on a trailer behind a bike?
Old 12-05-16, 01:46 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I'm sorry that my status as a car-lite forum member is not *elite* enough. We are a one-vehicle family due to financial circumstances. If someone gifted me $10k to buy a used car and pay for the maintenance, honestly, I'd think about it real hard... but I've made it 8 years this way and it's worked for us. Why change that? But that's not the circumstances I currently live in....

I do apologize that my comment that paying $55 for an oil change in the ol' battle wagon is "grumbling." Sorry, I forgot to read all the forum rules that someone just made up in their head.

You know what? I'll make ILTB happy and I'll never post here on the LCF forum again. In fact I will do him one better and promise never to browse the forum... ever!

I'm done here.
I enjoyed your posts and the thread you started. I know it's tempting to stay away from the forum when you meet with rudeness and disrespect. But really, it's only a couple people who do that (granted they post about as much as the rest of us put together). These individuals are not carfree themselves, and as far a I can tell, their only reason for haunting this forum is to hassle and insult others. The mods evidently feel powerless to do anything about this. My only solution is to put them on your Ignore list. This is a forum function that will make their posts invisible to you. It isn't a perfect solution, but I think it's better than missing out on the good things this forum has to offer.

P.S. You can't expect others to always comment favorably on your posts. Life just isn't like that, and believe it or not, this forum is pretty tame compared to some of them. So when you post, be prepared for some strong blowback. People on forums enjoy controversy and disagreement. But ideally, this should at least be polite and respectful to you a a person. We should be able to attack opinions that we disagree with, while not attacking the person we disagree with.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-05-16, 01:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Walter S
Is it a "fillibuster" if I object to your definition? I have been uncomfortable with all of the definitions I've seen proposed. I think "car free" and "car light" are both best keep as loosely defined. Car free means "without a car". Car light means "less use of a car". Try to nail it down exactly and you'll get nowhere because no definition covers all the unique circumstances of people's lives. What do I mean by that? Read the endless threads on this topic.
No, I welcome debate and discussion. And I think I pretty much agree with your "loose" definitions. Actually, I have changed my own position on this topic several times as a result of arguments from other members.

My wish for consensual definitions comes from my observation that we sometimes spend more time quibbling about words than we do discussing the actual issues behind the words. This semantic quibbling becomes frustrating and tiresome, and usualy leads nowhere-- as can be seen in a couple recent threads.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-05-16, 02:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

You can't expect others to always comment favorably on your posts. Life just isn't like that, and believe it or not, this forum is pretty tame compared to some of them. So when you post, be prepared for some strong blowback. People on forums enjoy controversy and disagreement.
Which forums in particular? This is the worst forum within Bikeforums ... with the possible exception of P&R . People on this forum, on the Living Car Free forum, enjoy controversy and disagreement more than they enjoy casual, light-hearted conversation.

Please don't be condescending. You know ... steve-in-kville has been around a while. Since 2008, as a matter of fact. He has been in the Long Distance forum, the Commuting forum, the Utility forum, the Touring forum, and several others ... he's not an inexperienced poster. The only mistake steve-in-kville made was to assume that this forum was as friendly and easy-going as the others.

Last edited by Machka; 12-05-16 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 02:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Which forums in particular? This is the worst forum within Bikeforums ... with the possible exception of P&R . People on this forum, on the Living Car Free forum, enjoy controversy and disagreement more than they enjoy casual, light-hearted conversation.

You know ... steve-in-kville has been around a while. Since 2008, as a matter of fact. He has been in the Long Distance forum, the Commuting forum, the Utility forum, the Touring forum, and several others ... he's not an inexperienced poster. Please don't be condescending.
In my mind, forums are 99% user written, and the only ones to blame or praise are the users. Mods can only do so much.

I think this forum is mostly real good. Most of the current beefs are tame compared to the current political and social situations all around the world. The best thing to do si try to stay focused and on-track. As carfree cyclists, we have a lot in common and we should try to keep that in mind when we are disputing about some issue.

However, carfree living is obviously related to several political, economic, and social situations--whether you approve or not. You seem to mostly like to talk about lighter subjects, while many are more interested in these other issues, and possibly most are interested in both "light" and "serious" topics. You really don't have to read or post in threads that bore you. Just move along and eventually you will find a topic that you like.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-05-16, 02:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

In my mind, forums are 99% user written, and the only ones to blame or praise are the users.
And most of the other forums within Bikeforums are great! This one, not so much ... but the rest are lovely, friendly, informative, supportive, interesting places.

Last edited by Machka; 12-05-16 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 04:31 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
My decade-plus without owning a motor vehicle started after the car I owned dropped a valve. I forunately was able to find someone to pay me some money to tow it away, and I used the money to buy a bicycle. The rest is history, of course.

Money (saving thereof) was part of the mix, along with being reasonably close to my workplace, the lack of bus services late at night when I finished my shift, and my recovery from what was thought at the time to be heart attack. My decision at the time was NOT based on political or environmental reasons.
Old 12-05-16, 06:11 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
My decision at the time was NOT based on political or environmental reasons.
Whew! Glad you cleared that up. Had you pegged as a left-wing, tree-huggin' hippie.
Old 12-05-16, 12:09 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I'm sorry that my status as a car-lite forum member is not *elite* enough. We are a one-vehicle family due to financial circumstances. If someone gifted me $10k to buy a used car and pay for the maintenance, honestly, I'd think about it real hard... but I've made it 8 years this way and it's worked for us. Why change that? But that's not the circumstances I currently live in....
I humbilly submit to you that if you have found no desire to save up for a used car in EIGHT YEARS then you are un-likely to buy one if you found $10k some where. You have other priorities. Perhaps your famly can not exist car free but I think that you ahve shown that you can.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 12-05-16, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
In this forum, there may be a lot of bickering and fighting about a lot of different things ... but we aren't grumbling about $3000 transmissions in here because that's not what living the car free or car light lifestyle is all about.
Exactly.
In addition, grumbling about the cost of family expenses, whether it be for transportation for members of the family, (or additional housing required to shelter the family, children's education, extracurricular activities or orthodontics) because someone would prefer to spend household money on his personal hobbies, is immature if not unseemly.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-05-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 03:51 PM
stew6371

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I wish that Oklahoma was as bicycle friendly
I wish Oklahoma was more bike friendly also. It's not bad around campus but I don't go there much. Lol.
Old 12-05-16, 04:05 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In this forum, there may be a lot of bickering and fighting about a lot of different things ... but we aren't grumbling about $3000 transmissions in here because that's not what living the car free or car light lifestyle is all about.[/QUOTE]

In your opinion.

Many of you miss the whole intent of this thread. For some of us, owning a vehicle is a necessary evil. Some of us used to work on our cars before they became over complicated. Some of us are on tight budgets and don't have 21 bikes at our disposal. We love to ride and wouldn't mind a new bike. It just so happens that both of those repairs would have bought a new bike at my LBS. A few of you understood. And for those of you with better fortune, I hope it continues. Perhaps you can get one one of your many bikes and ride off into the sunset. In my thread, anyone that thinks they are car lite, can be car lite. You can argue all you want, your still wrong.

I like Trolls but I prefer an Ogre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ogre-14_sv_930x390.jpg (56.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-05-16, 04:41 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In this forum, there may be a lot of bickering and fighting about a lot of different things ... but we aren't grumbling about $3000 transmissions in here because that's not what living the car free or car light lifestyle is all about
In your opinion.

Many of you miss the whole intent of this thread. For some of us, owning a vehicle is a necessary evil. Some of us used to work on our cars before they became over complicated. Some of us are on tight budgets and don't have 21 bikes at our disposal. We love to ride and wouldn't mind a new bike. It just so happens that both of those repairs would have bought a new bike at my LBS. A few of you understood. And for those of you with better fortune, I hope it continues. Perhaps you can get one one of your many bikes and ride off into the sunset. In my thread, anyone that thinks they are car lite, can be car lite. You can argue all you want, your still wrong.

I like Trolls but I prefer an Ogre.
I could afford all kinds of crap. I believe in living more simply. I do own a fleet of two bicycles. One of which stays rideable.
Old 12-05-16, 05:03 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Someone offered me a free used minivan...and I turned it down.
Minivans are the worst in durability.
I know many with minivan, and they seem to be only good to about 100,000 miles...after that it's just expensive repair repair repair.

That includes even Hondas minivans.

If you want something that can go 300,000 without big repair...get a Honda/Toyota 4-cyl subcompact car.
They last forever.

Minivans and big cars and truck looks tough...but they don't last.
Why do you post about minivans on the LCF forum?

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-06-16 at 10:24 AM. Reason: offensive
Old 12-05-16, 05:06 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
So I am no where near car free. Before everyone got there own cars, I was car light. Partially because I live 2 miles from my job and because I love riding my bike. Today I spent 600 dollars on my wife's van repairs. I could have easily bought a Trek Marlin from my LBS for $600. It was a over priced alternator and belt placed in a labor intensive location. (they had to remove the passenger tire and I believe the front axle to get to it.) I can remember when alternators were easy to replace. Last year, I had to put a transmission in my truck for $3000 which would easily bought a Surly Ogre. What is the last car/truck repair that could have bought you a bike, did you think about it and what would you have bought with it.
This line of thinking is one reason that I initially started going car light and reducing my dependence on motor vehicles. I simply got tired of putting money into vehicle operation, maintenance and repair and found that riding a bike was a perfectly suitable substitute for driving in many situations. Over time I came to love cycling and now I only drive as a last resort (and I despise every lousy second of it).

Like you, I'm not car free. But I may go weeks without driving and that suits me just fine.

There's no question that for me, dramatically reducing the amount I drive has had a significant positive impact on my finances. In fact, going car light has enabled me to save money more effectively than I ever have as an adult, and I've been able to put that saved money towards bikes & gear and will continue to do so as the mood strikes.
Old 12-10-16, 03:25 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
So I am no where near car free. Before everyone got there own cars, I was car light. Partially because I live 2 miles from my job and because I love riding my bike. Today I spent 600 dollars on my wife's van repairs. I could have easily bought a Trek Marlin from my LBS for $600. It was a over priced alternator and belt placed in a labor intensive location. (they had to remove the passenger tire and I believe the front axle to get to it.) I can remember when alternators were easy to replace. Last year, I had to put a transmission in my truck for $3000 which would easily bought a Surly Ogre. What is the last car/truck repair that could have bought you a bike, did you think about it and what would you have bought with it.
I used to buy a new car every three years. When your car is never more than three years old, you never have to worry about repairs. But buying a new car every three years leads to about $8000 lost due to depreciation; the moment you drive the car off the lot, it loses a significant amount of it's value. What would I have done with the money if I had not spent it on cars? I would have spent it on something else, so the net result would have been the same.

Now I am self employed, and my office is in my home. I live in the center of Tokyo, with all necessary shops being nearby. I prefer to ride my bike rather than use the train or subway, when weather allows. If I need to go somewhere by car, I can call a car and driver at any time.

You might think that the money you spent on car repairs as money wasted, or at least not spent on something you would rather have. But the mechanics, parts makers, delivery drivers, and dozens of other people ended up with at least a little bit of what you spent. And they will of course spend that money to buy other things, and somewhere down the line, a little bit of that money finds it's way back to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.