Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Some observations about "car free" people from some one who is NOT free.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Some observations about "car free" people from some one who is NOT free.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 02:16 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Personally, I like taking the bus ... and it does provide me with a certain degree of independence.
I agree. I ride my bicycle most places. But having another option sometimes is a big help.

Some people cop out on mass transit and say their system sucks when they've not invested the time to learn how the bus routes and schedules and online resources work. I hear alfull stuff about our MARTA system here in Atlanta but it works pretty good for me. Has a bus ever been late? Yes but not much, and infrequently.

With all the accidents and delays, it's not like car commuting is real predictable. If you want consistent commute times though ride a bicycle! My commute is around an hour and twenty minutes and is almost always within a couple minutes and might be five minutes longer a few times per year.
Old 08-25-16, 03:47 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Living Car Free in the USofA does not come naturally unless you happen to be Amish.
Or born into a poor family.

In the end, obviously, a car-free person has to be willing to make do with LESS than an auto owner. Less RANGE, less COMFORT, less CONVENIENCE, less STUFF. But the trade-off, for me and I am certain for others as well, is a different kind of "freedom". Freedom from auto owning EXPENSE (price, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, theft, and theft prevention) and most importantly for bicycle owners...freedom from sitting in traffic. Like...EVER.
I'm blessed by circumstances for now that make the expense not a factor. I don't want to pollute the world, I love the adventure and direct connection with the environment. And like you say NEVER sitting in traffic is big.

But just as much, is my belief that modern society is designed to make you soft and weak and die a slow death. I refuse to be indoctrinated. If I listen to my body then bicycling makes me stronger every time I ride. It's a beautiful machine. I'll never get over feeling fascinated and invigorated by how right and pure it is nearly every day.

As for kids...ever heard of a SCHOOL BUS? I rode one until I got my first nicer bike as a freshman in high school. Then no more bus.
I grew up riding the bus before people started driving their kids every day in a paranoid fit from watching too much CNN.

Roughly 10% of USA households do not own a motor vehicle. Some small fraction of those people are happy about it. Many are here in the LCF Forum. If someone wants to be car-free but isn't willing to sacrifice (like NOT having any children) or think ahead or do without...why come in here and judge people who make it work and are mostly happy about it?
Really! Thank you Joey.
Old 08-27-16, 04:43 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
But just as much, is my belief that modern society is designed to make you soft and weak and die a slow death. I refuse to be indoctrinated. If I listen to my body then bicycling makes me stronger every time I ride. It's a beautiful machine. I'll never get over feeling fascinated and invigorated by how right and pure it is nearly every day.
I nominate this for the quote-of-the-thread award.
Old 12-04-16, 07:56 PM
hartlean

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora; 2013 Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after all, what DOES matter?

And together, we're all part of one big happy family of people clicking away about stuff that probably doesn't matter all that much . Pretty soon we're all dust in the wind...all the cars too
That depends on what does matter, during the few years each of us is granted to live on this planet. These are questions about the meaning of life, the purpose we are supposed to fulfill. Until you answer those Qns, does anything else matter?

As a Christian, my purpose is to glorify God by enjoying Him. That happens to some extent, at least, when I do my best to fit into His plan for humanity. He put us here to care for the earth (Genesis 2:15); the “plan” is & was for us to steward & shepherd the creation.

Caring for creation might include some use of cars; however, with 7.5 billion people on the earth, each of us can emit only about 4 tons of CO2 annually (on average), before we go “over the budget” & increase the greenhouse gas effect to the extent that the earth warms too fast. When it warms too fast, most species cannot adapt sufficiently, & go extinct. Already, the extinction rate is at least 100 times the rate before the Industrial Revolution. That affects humans, since we depend on those other species (more than most of us realize).

Staying within the carbon “budget” is not easy if we drive cars much (or eat much meat, or keep our houses hot in the winters, or…). That’s why LCF or, at least, living car-lite, could matter a great deal.

If you have a different purpose on this earth, though, maybe LCF doesn’t matter to you. If you have no purpose, then nothing at all matters. I’m not criticizing that; I’m just trying to make your remark meaningful.
Old 12-05-16, 12:02 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hartlean
As a Christian, my purpose is to glorify God by enjoying Him. That happens to some extent, at least, when I do my best to fit into His plan for humanity. He put us here to care for the earth (Genesis 2:15); the “plan” is & was for us to steward & shepherd the creation.
Bible thumping isn't supposed to be allowed here.
Old 12-05-16, 12:37 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
That depends on what does matter, during the few years each of us is granted to live on this planet. These are questions about the meaning of life, the purpose we are supposed to fulfill. Until you answer those Qns, does anything else matter?

Caring for creation might include some use of cars; however, with 7.5 billion people on the earth, each of us can emit only about 4 tons of CO2 annually (on average), before we go “over the budget” & increase the greenhouse gas effect to the extent that the earth warms too fast. When it warms too fast, most species cannot adapt sufficiently, & go extinct. Already, the extinction rate is at least 100 times the rate before the Industrial Revolution. That affects humans, since we depend on those other species (more than most of us realize).

Staying within the carbon “budget” is not easy if we drive cars much (or eat much meat, or keep our houses hot in the winters, or…). That’s why LCF or, at least, living car-lite, could matter a great deal.

If you have a different purpose on this earth, though, maybe LCF doesn’t matter to you. If you have no purpose, then nothing at all matters. I’m not criticizing that; I’m just trying to make your remark meaningful.
Shall I move this to Politics and Religion?

If not, please lets keep religion out of it .
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-05-16, 07:15 PM
MikeinFL

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was car free for several hours when my battery went dead. I rode my bike to Walmart, got a new battery, and brought it home in my bike basket.

If my car was stolen or too expensive to fix, I could live car free ok. But, I want to take my bike to far away fun places to bike.
Old 12-06-16, 04:26 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
On this note, Ive notices that some bikers can ride a 100 mile race at speed to kill the competition, yet after the race they drive to the local convenience store to get a slushy.
Old 12-06-16, 04:32 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
On this note, Ive notices that some bikers can ride a 100 mile race at speed to kill the competition, yet after the race they drive to the local convenience store to get a slushy.
I am not sure what you are getting at. There are people who run marathons who then get in their cars to go home. You shouldn't conflate sport and competition with utility cycling.
Old 12-06-16, 04:33 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Bible thumping isn't supposed to be allowed here.
Kind of agree with no bible thumping., but I agree with the concept that we are living in a very unnatural time after the industrialization. Going from most people having a connection to the earth and where food comes from ...to no connection with earth and thinking work revolves around driving and computers and smart phones.
Old 12-06-16, 05:06 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Kind of agree with no bible thumping., but I agree with the concept that we are living in a very unnatural time after the industrialization. Going from most people having a connection to the earth and where food comes from ...to no connection with earth and thinking work revolves around driving and computers and smart phones.
What concerns me is the belief--widely held, apparently--that we ought not to be concerned about what we are doing to the earth and to the human beings and other creatures who live here, and that if we speak out on this issue we must therefore be smug and insincere and zealous ideologues of some sort. Perhaps this twisted way of thinking is related to the lack of a connection with the earth that you mention.
Old 12-06-16, 07:19 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right. It just doesn't register in their minds that bicycles can be for more than recreation. I was like that for decades before I saw the light. I would get up before dawn and ride my bike 20-30 miles. Then I got ready for work and drove a car for about the same distance, while disgusted with the rush hour traffic.

So many wasted opportunities to replace the awful drive with a quality bike ride.
Old 12-06-16, 08:42 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Right. It just doesn't register in their minds that bicycles can be for more than recreation. I was like that for decades before I saw the light. I would get up before dawn and ride my bike 20-30 miles. Then I got ready for work and drove a car for about the same distance, while disgusted with the rush hour traffic.

So many wasted opportunities to replace the awful drive with a quality bike ride.
Let's face it. There are many recreational cyclists who wouldn't be caught dead cycling to work or to the supermarket.
Old 12-06-16, 09:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Totally true if you look at it from a bottom up point of view! MORE choices and freedoms are clearly better than less. It's funny. I have a close relative that is legally blind. He goes everywhere! He's been more places in this nation that I ever will and won't ride in any car, ever (bad accident scared him). It's all feet and buses and airplanes for him. He does just fine.
In the original post you observed, "Y'all aint got no little kids". I wouldn't really want to be car-free with small children either - newly born to toddlers - so I can sympathize, but the fact is they can do just fine.

I recall the first time I was even exposed to the concept as a young man attending a university. Not car-free students; obviously students could live car-free on or near campus, but in some of the subcultures in the community it was more normal than not. I didn't really get it: what about the little kids, babies? It gets cold in Lubbock Tx. Freezing rain frequently, lots of ice, snow happens, brutal winds, storms like you won't see most places. How would you deal with it?

Well, to even ask the question was a source of amusement, naive college kid. Little kids are cared for at home by parents, grandparents, someone 100% of the time and you don't actually take them anywhere. On the rare occasion that you do take the small child out, they know how to bundle them up, comfortable and safe, on the bike and it's no particular challenge. It's been the common practice for generations. So my curiosity about that was in the vein of "dumb questions". They do just fine.

I still took it all with a grain of salt. Generations of experience notwithstanding, it still had to be safer and easier to jump into a car to take a sick kid to the doctor, and faster if you had an ER emergency. Now I'm not so sure. Those are still valid points, but it seems to me now that with the right planning and preparedness there really is no insurmountable issue with small children.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-06-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 09:55 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
...there really is no insurmountable issue with small children.
Humans have been raising children on this planet for over a million years. Cars have been around about one century. I think it is safe to say that humans can do without cars in the long run. 7 Billion humans is my proof.

Yes...some of your children will die due to lack of getting to a doctor in time. Didn't seem to slow down our little overpopulation problem.
Old 12-06-16, 10:32 AM
hartlean

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora; 2013 Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the power of thinking

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Shall I move this to Politics and Religion?

If not, please lets keep religion out of it .

Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Well, Walter S remarked about what doesn't matter. What matters is, in turn, a religious question.

Then, Siu Blue Wind quoted Buddha.

Maybe religion is allowed here only when Christianity is not involved?

In any case, if you believe "with our thoughts, we make the world," then none of this should offend. Just re-make it acc to your desires, right? If someone doesn't like something, they can simply "think" it away.
Old 12-06-16, 10:55 AM
wphamilton

Well, Walter S remarked about what doesn't matter. What matters is, in turn, a religious question.

In any case, if you believe "with our thoughts, we make the world," then none of this should offend. Just re-make it acc to your desires, right? If someone doesn't like something, they can simply "think" it away.
Please chill out. It's a sig line and a Buddha quote is not necessarily religious in any event.
Old 12-06-16, 11:00 AM
wphamilton

Humans have been raising children on this planet for over a million years. Cars have been around about one century. I think it is safe to say that humans can do without cars in the long run. 7 Billion humans is my proof.

Yes...some of your children will die due to lack of getting to a doctor in time. Didn't seem to slow down our little overpopulation problem.
Not necessarily due to being car-free, given planning and preparedness including choices of where you live. I guess I was too rambling to make that point clearly.
Old 12-06-16, 01:07 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In most locations you're better off calling 911 and riding in an ambulance than you are driving. The medics on the ambulance are well trained in giving life saving treatments enroute. And they can inform the hospital and get you expedited treatment right when they arrive vs. you having to start from scratch raising attention in an ER waiting room. And they won't get a speeding ticket or sit in traffic long.

Last edited by Walter S; 12-06-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 02:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
In most locations you're better off calling 911 and riding in an ambulance than you are driving. The medics on the ambulance are well trained in giving life saving treatments enroute. And they can inform the hospital and get you expedited treatment right when they arrive vs. you having to start from scratch raising attention in an ER waiting room. And they won't get a speeding ticket or sit in traffic long.
Good points.
Old 12-06-16, 04:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Let's face it. There are many recreational cyclists who wouldn't be caught dead cycling to work or to the supermarket.

Let's face it. It's may not be practical for many recreational cyclists to ride their bike to work because of their location of where they live and work...or maybe they have no interest in transportational cycling, so what ??
Old 12-06-16, 04:30 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Let's face it. It's may not be practical for many recreational cyclists to ride their bike to work because of their location of where they live and work...or maybe they have no interest in transportational cycling, so what ??
Are you interested in LCF?
Old 12-06-16, 04:45 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
You seem to post a lot in a forum for an lifestyle you have zero interest in.
Old 12-06-16, 04:48 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Could you please keep religion out of this? I find many of the posts interesting, including yours, and all you're going to achieve by arguing with the moderators is to have the thread banished.
Old 12-06-16, 05:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
let's face it. It's may not be practical for many recreational cyclists to ride their bike to work because of their location of where they live and work...or maybe they have no interest in transportational cycling, so what ??
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.