Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Is car-free becoming mainstream?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Is car-free becoming mainstream?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 02:52 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
But how many of those bike will be used for commuting and how many will be used for recreational cycling? How many will be ridden a couple of times and then sit and rust in the garage?
How many will be used as primary business/transportation, outside first world situations...?
Old 12-28-16, 02:54 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But how many of those bike will be used for commuting and how many will be used for recreational cycling? How many will be ridden a couple of times and then sit and rust in the garage?
I agree. Your scepticism is well placed. Bicycles are not going to get a lot more popular if you have to pedal.
Old 12-28-16, 03:32 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I agree. Your scepticism is well placed. Bicycles are not going to get a lot more popular if you have to pedal.
I think it has more to do with the lack of cycling infrastructure, the perception that cycling is dangerous and the long distances that separate people's homes from their jobs and vital services that keep them from being used more in the United States and certain other countries, although downright laziness is probably a big factor, too.
Old 12-28-16, 03:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Since I stopped driving on December 26, 2006...probably, although a little reluctantly. I miss visiting some friends over 200 miles away.
Old 12-28-16, 03:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by mconlonx
OK, so check out the second grouping down, Government & Economics:

Worldometers - real time world statistics

Note that bicycles are being manufactured at twice the rate of automobiles, and nearly match the birth rate.

That's slightly promising, considering an LCF future...

No good if they aren't Shelbys and Rollfasts or Columbia Five-Stars, or Schwinn DX.

I hear you can find a repop duck head for a Shelby Donald Duck.

You don't need more new bikes as much as to fix an old one. I like Peugeots and road bikes of all sorts too, but I'm too fat.
Old 12-28-16, 08:24 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I think it has more to do with the lack of cycling infrastructure, the perception that cycling is dangerous and the long distances that separate people's homes from their jobs and vital services that keep them from being used more in the United States and certain other countries, although downright laziness is probably a big factor, too.
Discouragement tempts laziness. It's easier to sink into habitual laziness when you are discouraged by a perception of insufficient means, regardless of whether the insufficiency is more real or imagined.
Old 12-31-16, 01:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Also, I believe children's bikes are included in the total, and they are well over half of all bikes made. The number of bikes produced has always exceeded the number of cars built.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-16, 01:55 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Discouragement tempts laziness. It's easier to sink into habitual laziness when you are discouraged by a perception of insufficient means, regardless of whether the insufficiency is more real or imagined.
Most people believe that cycling is much more difficult than it really is. I used to tell co-workers that I commuted 4 miles to work and they would be amazed that an ordinary mortal could accomplish such a feat.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-16, 09:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Of course laziness is a big factor - if/when lazy people are defined as those people who do not choose to participate in the same activities as the poster, or lazy people are those who have different ideas than the poster on how to prioritize their tasks, activities and life.
Old 01-01-17, 09:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

If they steal your bike and toss it in the river, then it's going downstream.
Old 01-02-17, 08:33 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Roody
Most people believe that cycling is much more difficult than it really is. I used to tell co-workers that I commuted 4 miles to work and they would be amazed that an ordinary mortal could accomplish such a feat.
I definitely think that's part of it but I think there's a social cultural factor about showing up with a certain kind of clothes on and without a drop of sweat that is the real obstacle for people even daring to attempt going places by bike or on foot.

Part of it is laziness. I notice it in myself how I dread rolling up my pants if I have to wear pants, or having to change back-and-forth from shorts to pants. And although there is a lot of leeway for situations where you can wear shorts, I would say that there is extremely strong cultural pressure to wear pants for men in certain kinds of situations, especially professional ones.

No one would think of this bias toward pants as a pro car, anti-bike bias, but that is how it works in practice.
Old 01-02-17, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
No one would think of this bias toward pants as a pro car, anti-bike bias, but that is how it works in practice.
Apparently there is one person who would think of a long pants—automotivist—anti-bike conspiracy.
Old 01-02-17, 12:15 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Apparently there is one person who would think of a long pants—automotivist—anti-bike conspiracy.
Solution: become a life guard who can walk to work: don't need no stinkin suit'n tie, bike shorts, car or bike or even bother taking a shower...
Old 01-02-17, 01:22 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I'm going to disagree with this although I've felt that same sentiment myself. The fact is, pants (or at least full-leg coverage) became de rigeur for well-dressed men long before the era of mass motoring, and if anything, standards of dress have actually become more relaxed compared to what was expected a century ago. Remember that before cars, most men would have walked or ridden a streetcar to go to work, maybe riding in a horse-drawn carriage if they lived somewhere rural or were wealthy - cycling was never a dominant mode of travel in North America, even during the 1890's bike boom.

If anything, dressing well and cycling at the same time has become easier, the only place where we've lost ground is that plus-fours and jodhpurs have gone out of style.

Last edited by lasauge; 01-02-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-02-17, 07:01 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
If anything, dressing well and cycling at the same time has become easier, the only place where we've lost ground is that plus-fours and jodhpurs have gone out of style.
Although plus fours would keep chain grease off the cuffs, I think they would otherwise be very uncomfortable for riding in the modern style. I haven't actually tried riding with them, but the bagginess of the thighs isn't all that comfortable just walking.
Old 01-03-17, 12:25 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Having a well paying job that requires you dress a certain way also helps. Along with Summer Heat sweating your ass off.
Again, when the area you live in is a well off suburb you are either poor, or the strange white guy on the bike. Or both.
Funny lot's of Cyclists on Falls Road, and it's very, very dangerous. No way in hell I would bike on any road around here for long distances.

And in Colorado Springs you might sweat in the summer, but not like you will in the DMV, or south east. Although you have a great chance of being hit by lightning. I just thought of this over hearing a women describing how she was hit by lighting leaning against a car after a rain storm, and everybody standing outside of the car was killed. And it was in Colorado where it happened.

Last edited by StarBiker; 01-03-17 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 12:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

It definitely is a stance away from boxers or briefs. Probably not biased but well-founded.
Old 01-03-17, 06:51 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It's not a conspiracy theory - you seem to see those everywhere - it's simply reality. The expectation that people show up to work in office clothes is one impediment to cycling to work, which many people have experienced.

Last edited by cooker; 01-03-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 06:01 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
All who are able to eschew motorized transport and still pull down a pension or pay off the house and set aside 8 x yearly gross wages by a desired retirement age... I say: good on 'ya!
Old 01-03-17, 06:56 PM
jon c. 

Originally Posted by cooker
The expectation that people show up to work in office clothes is one impediment to cycling to work, which many people have experienced.
My dad rode his bike to work in his suit and tie for decades. Although not in the winter. But in a temperate climate riding an upright bike at a moderate pace for 2 or 3 miles, that's quite doable.
Old 01-03-17, 08:35 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
My dad rode his bike to work in his suit and tie for decades. Although not in the winter. But in a temperate climate riding an upright bike at a moderate pace for 2 or 3 miles, that's quite doable.
Where and when was that? London?
Old 01-03-17, 09:13 PM
jon c. 

Upstate (western) NY. From the 60s to the early part of this century. He's not an avid rider, he just found it the most convenient transportation. And I suspect he had an aversion to paying to park a car every day.
Old 01-03-17, 10:33 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
Upstate (western) NY. From the 60s to the early part of this century. He's not an avid rider, he just found it the most convenient transportation. And I suspect he had an aversion to paying to park a car every day.
He sounds pretty eccentric (in a good way). I can't imagine many others in town did the same thing.
Old 01-04-17, 02:36 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by lasauge
I'm going to disagree with this although I've felt that same sentiment myself. The fact is, pants (or at least full-leg coverage) became de rigeur for well-dressed men long before the era of mass motoring, and if anything, standards of dress have actually become more relaxed compared to what was expected a century ago. Remember that before cars, most men would have walked or ridden a streetcar to go to work, maybe riding in a horse-drawn carriage if they lived somewhere rural or were wealthy - cycling was never a dominant mode of travel in North America, even during the 1890's bike boom.

Notice all the ladies in the picture not showing any leg. Nowadays it is perfectly ok, even modest and conservative, for women to wear skirts and dresses at or below the knee. But men in shorts? Postal workers, coaches/trainers, and certain other professions 'qualify' for shorts, but they're not a dress-code option in offices or other professional settings. I wouldn't call it a conscious conspiracy, except maybe to the extent that someone who attempts to add shorts to the dress code who rides a bike might be seen as 'pushing' cycling norms.

The funny thing about norms is that if someone suggests new ones, they are viewed as pushing an agenda, yet whoever benefits from the existing norms is not seen as 'pushing' their agenda by resisting the introduction/addition of new norms.
Old 01-04-17, 07:42 PM
jon c. 

Changes in men's fashion take time. At least we're not all still wearing hats. I do think shorts in warm climates will become acceptable in time, but that's likely to be another 30 years or so. They're much more acceptable outside the office environment these days. Fifty years ago, they would have been inappropriate in a university lecture hall and now they're standard uniform.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.