Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Losing too much weight from cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Losing too much weight from cycling

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 11:53 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
So 25 posts later and still no sign of OP...hmm.
Old 01-14-18, 12:30 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelbrown
am estimating the calories I burned and eating to compensate but I'm still losing weight at an alarming rate. I'm a beginner and have a low end heavy bike. My speed is really slow. So even though the calorie calculators say slow speed =. less calorie, we have to take into account the type of bike? I don't even know if I'm cycling "vigorously" or "moderately" since I'm so slow. It's hard to say since I'm rather fit from running and cycling feels easier.
If it's alarming then something else is wrong,,,, see your doctor ,,,,,
Old 01-14-18, 12:34 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by mcours2006
So 25 posts later and still no sign of OP...hmm.
Mighta faded away,,,,,, hmmmm or we've been scammed again,,,,,
Old 01-14-18, 01:20 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Try drinking 12 cans of Diet Coke a day.
Old 01-14-18, 05:25 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm worried that your beer consumption is inadequate.
+1 LOL

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I drank my 20's away. It never made me gain a pound of weight. Thankfully I outgrew alcohol.
Didn't make any difference when I was in my 20's but mid 40's and bang .... made a huge difference although that did also coincide with giving up the dreaded **** as well.
Old 01-14-18, 06:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Have you been to see a doctor?
Once again, the obvious answer.

Incidentally, untreated, uncontrolled diabetes can lead to drastic weight loss as the body cannabilizes itself in search of the protein that is being pissed away (along with the blood sugar).

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/...ight-loss.html

See a doctor.
Old 01-14-18, 06:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Mighta faded away,,,,,, hmmmm or we've been scammed again,,,,,
Or worse.
Old 01-14-18, 07:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Once again, the obvious answer.

Incidentally, untreated, uncontrolled diabetes can lead to drastic weight loss as the body cannabilizes itself in search of the protein that is being pissed away (along with the blood sugar).

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/...ight-loss.html

See a doctor.
That seems like it would be the ideal DNA destined "diet" ... if compared to most short-term diet plans or surgery's.

I read AIDS can reduce weight too!
Old 01-14-18, 08:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Lots of diseases have the symptom: rapid weight loss.

Bloodwork and a test or two should confirm the OP's situation.
Old 01-15-18, 07:21 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Have you been to see a doctor?
Yes. There's a reason they weigh you when you walk in. Alarming weight loss --> See a Doc, very soon.
Old 01-15-18, 08:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
You thought Monty Python hit the apogee for inane jokes? Here it it folks, more Comedy Gold, mined from the deepest, foulest depths of the BF troll den.

All you folks suggesting that your bodies do not metabolism food and never have ... care to explain why you are alive .... or ... if you are human?

Everyone's body metabolizes a little differently, but the basic equation of calories consumed equals energy burned or mass stored .... unless somehow you are outside of human physiology and Newtonian physics .... not to say anyone is not being honest, refusing to use his or her full intellect in order to make a point, or Anything like that .... just, you know, Facts and reality.

You eat it, you wear it or burn it. Done.

Are we allowed to say "fact" and reality"?? Are they considered sources of micro-aggression? I'd hate to melt a snowflake.
Old 01-15-18, 09:45 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I had no idea about that effect. Diabetes will **** you up.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-15-18, 11:14 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I had no idea about that effect. Diabetes will **** you up.
Uncontrolled diabetes will do that and worse.

Even when it is under good control, diabetes will eventually do major internal damage. It is the nature of the beast. Cancer may kill you quickly, diabetes will take her own sweet (pun intended) time in dismantling your body. Cancer is a bastard, diabetes is a *****.

Two things about diabetes:

1. It cannot be prevented, genetics play a major factor. A person can, however, take steps to lower their risk and to lessen the effects of the disease.

2. Diabetics often show no external signs of the disease. You can look good on the outside, and people will assume that you are healthy, until something goes terribly wrong, like loss of sight, or loss of a limb.

I highly recommend that if you are diagnosed with diabetes, or pre-diabetes, that you take it seriously and not ignore it...like I did.

Fortunately for me, I had a wake-up call when my Mom died at an early age from complications resulting from diabetes. Her body just gave up.

I am also fortunate to have a top doctor who stuck with me through my butthead denial phase. She is a top diabetes doctor and she has seen many deniers, like I once was. My A1c has been down to 6.5 during the last two testing dates (six months). But some of the damage, especially to my coronary arteries is irreversible; six coronary stents are the gift of Uncontrolled diabetes.

Finally I am blessed with an understanding and caring wife. She knows that riding, riding and more riding is the key to my physical and emotional health. She knows that one day I may not be able to ride my beloved bikes. But until that day arrives she does not put up a fuss when I am gone for long, solitary bike rides.

Sorry about the long post, I get a bit preachy when it comes to this subject.

Just watch your health...it matters.
Old 01-15-18, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
so 25 posts later and still no sign of op...hmm.
+1.
Old 01-15-18, 12:57 PM
johnje
Average Idiot

Bikes: 88 Davidson Impulse, 90 Specialized Hard Rock, 09 Specialized Allez, 17 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I lose >1lb over a day, it's overwhelmingly dehydration. Soda water with cranberry juice, and bacon-cheeseburgers usually fixes the problem.
Old 01-15-18, 05:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You thought Monty Python hit the apogee for inane jokes? Here it it folks, more Comedy Gold, mined from the deepest, foulest depths of the BF troll den.

All you folks suggesting that your bodies do not metabolism food and never have ... care to explain why you are alive .... or ... if you are human?
Don't disregard it out of hand. Pretty sure I'm human, but until I was late 20's I couldn't gain a pound no matter what I ate. My football playing weight, not more than a pound difference for a decade. No bulking up in the gym either - I'd just get stronger, never bigger. I think it boils down to a faster than normal burn rate and being kind of hyperactive.

I eventually discovered that I could overwhelm it with protein, some supplements and intense weight training, or later with selected fast food and beer. But I was also older then, and less hyper.
Old 01-15-18, 06:39 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uncontrolled diabetes will do that and worse.

Even when it is under good control, diabetes will eventually do major internal damage. It is the nature of the beast. Cancer may kill you quickly, diabetes will take her own sweet (pun intended) time in dismantling your body. Cancer is a bastard, diabetes is a *****.

Good point. I work with an awful lot of diabetics. I have seen a lot of crazy things- both medically and in the denial sense. I spent 40 plus hours a week in one of 2 dialysis clinics. 95% of my patients are there due to diabetes or high blood pressure or a combination of the two, yet I have seen A1C's of 14-18 and BP's over 200 because people are in denial. I have seen amputated toes, legs, fingers.. and heart failure.

One of the docs I work with made the best explanation I've ever heard of what causes diabetes to do what it does- it turns your blood to syrup, then that syrup doesn't flow like it's supposed to and causes all kinds of grief inside the body.

Please don't ignore your health and if something strange is happening (sudden excessive thirst, weight loss or ANYTHING ELSE NOT EXPLAINED) see a doc.
Old 01-15-18, 06:43 PM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Some people do have higher metabolisms AND are also hyper and can't sit still... they tend to burn calories and can eat anything. it's not they don't metabolize it, they just do it faster than the rest of us. I was that way when I was young - ran marathons on a regular basis, couldn't sit still.. was always on my feet or bike, and could eat a pound of pasta without gaining an ounce. Now... no way could I do that... I am still unable to sit still, but I don't move and fidget quite the same way, and I was on a medication for a year that seriously screwed up my metabolism. I'm also a lot less active- my job has me on my feet seeing patients part of the day, but the rest of it is spent at my computer charting, researching and doing statistics related to my patients labs.
Old 01-15-18, 08:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I understand different metabolic rates ... come on folks, we are all reasonably intelligent and experienced adults here.

Fact is, if a person is LOSING weihgt--form exercising ..... go tit? The cat that wphamilton had to work hard to gain weight .... and still could ... in Not related to dramatic weight loss and is in fact exactly the opposite.

The fact that khyricat could eat and burn it all .... through exercise, i might add .... again has nothing to do with Dramatic Weight Loss.

if you have a fast metabolism, you burn a lot of fuel fast. if you have a klsow metabolismn you burn fuel slowly. In either case (as wphamilton saysd himself) the re Are ways to intake more calories than one burns, and gain weight, even while exercising.

And sorry, if all you folks whop PLAYED ENERGY CONSUMING SPORTS had not burned off huge amounts of calories doing those things ... guess what, you'd have gotten fat.

Really, folks ... a person didn't get fat and Ran marathons ... this proves that people who run marathons ... Burn A Lot of Energy, eh?

I am not going to persist. If people really think they can eat nonstop and not exercise---take in many more calories than their basal metabolic rates consume ... and not gain weight .... and then also not gaining weight while running ,marathons is the same as Losing Weight Dramatically ... then that is fine with me.
Old 01-15-18, 08:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by khyricat
Good point. I work with an awful lot of diabetics. I have seen a lot of crazy things- both medically and in the denial sense. I spent 40 plus hours a week in one of 2 dialysis clinics. 95% of my patients are there due to diabetes or high blood pressure or a combination of the two, yet I have seen A1C's of 14-18 and BP's over 200 because people are in denial. I have seen amputated toes, legs, fingers.. and heart failure.

One of the docs I work with made the best explanation I've ever heard of what causes diabetes to do what it does- it turns your blood to syrup, then that syrup doesn't flow like it's supposed to and causes all kinds of grief inside the body.

Please don't ignore your health and if something strange is happening (sudden excessive thirst, weight loss or ANYTHING ELSE NOT EXPLAINED) see a doc.
Thank you for the information.

The thing is, while diabetes will wreak all kind of havoc to a person’s body there are things that a person can do to limit the damage.

Your perspective is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-18, 10:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Well I hope the OP is satisfied,,,,,,
Old 01-16-18, 05:45 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information.

The thing is, while diabetes will wreak all kind of havoc to a person’s body there are things that a person can do to limit the damage.

Your perspective is greatly appreciated.
true- the point is that you need to limit it and control it, so this doesn't happen.
Old 05-18-18, 06:15 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
IMO, i've lost 2 pounds too many am now sick and can't ride. Eating more is difficult for me but i'm going have to try.
Old 05-18-18, 07:07 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You're one in a million. Be happy!
Old 05-18-18, 08:39 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I wish I had the OP's problem. I've never been able to outride the fork and had to cut way back on my calorie intake in order to lose weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.