Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Old Fashion Pedal Power -- No More

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old Fashion Pedal Power -- No More

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 07:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Peachtree Georgia has apparently welcomed golf carts onto their path system. I would think mopeds and e-bikes would be like the two wheel version of their golf carts.
+1, there is no difference... Well, the difference is, Legal E-Bikes with 750 watts and a throttle, are considered bicycles, legally...
Old 03-12-18, 05:37 AM
Saale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm good with anything that presents an alternative to get people out of cars. And thankfully electric bikes aren't an unregulated mess with kilowatt rockets capable of 30 mph or more here, if you have more than 250W of assist (another person's worth of power goes a long way) or it propels you beyond 25 kph / 15.5 mph it's legally treated like a scooter in the EU and you need to get it plated, install the necessary safety parts, have a license, wear a motorcycle helmet and take it on the road instead of the bike path. To pessimists an electric cyclist is one more "false" cyclist, to optimists it's one less driver.
Old 03-12-18, 12:48 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I think the issue is how one rides the bike. And, that depends on the people... and perhaps instruction that includes some empathy and thought of others...
Yep, was thinking about this a bit more yesterday while driving my car and observing all the absolute idiots on the road without the slightest clue what is going on.

Unfortunately we have to cater to the lowest common denominator so long as certain modes of transportation are essentially seen as a "right." And that normally means dumbing things down to the point that even an idiot can get by and not cause too many problems for other people.

That's why I say the limits for e-bikes should be very low/strict on any bike paths. Too many fools to leave it up to chance.
Old 03-16-18, 02:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
To paraphrase Mencken, no one ever went broke overestimating the laziness of the American public.
+1. Lazyness is one of the top factors in technology advances IMO.
Old 03-16-18, 04:18 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
In my city there are speed limits on MUPs, regardless of what you are riding. That seems fair to me. I've never seen problems with pedal-assist bikes - the guys to watch out for are the roadies going way too fast!

I think it is inevitable that the E-Bikes will eventually be regulated. 10 to 15 is the typical bicycling speed, but 20, or just over 20 isn't uncommon for bikes. And, thus likely why many e-bikes are regulated at 20 MPH.

Should bicycles also have a speed limit imposed on MUPS?

I suppose many cyclists find E-Bikes annoying as one is huffing as the e-biker appears to be simply sitting on the seat and twisting a knob.

But the regulation should be driven by how the e-bikes (as well as bicycles) interact with other trail users in the case of MUPs and street users in the case of roadside bike lanes.

It is quite possible that an e-biker cruising at 20 MPH can better pay attention to his or her surroundings than the cyclist pumping hard, head down, and the same 20 MPH

Or, perhaps the e-biker will be oblivious to his or her surroundings... concentrating on getting those extra watts to the motor. No stopping, no matter what.

There is no reason a 1000W e-bike can't safely ride a trail at 10 MPH.

Anyway, I'd encourage the governments to stand back and watch and observe until there are either accidents, injuries (e-bikers, cyclists, pedestrians on trails/streets), or complaints of actual near misses. And what may be necessary in one community may entirely superfluous in another community.

Perhaps sponsoring street savvy and trail savvy training for e-bikers would help prevent the need for regulation.

Smart Bikes?

Algebra Classes, Geometry Classes, English Classes, History Classes, French Classes, and perhaps a little Physical Education thrown in?
Old 03-16-18, 06:51 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Seems like most, if not all of the suggestions for rules are coming from people who have never ridden and used an e-bike. It's a little like drivers who think bicycles should be on the sidewalk. I use one for a 20 mile commute that I would otherwise need to drive or spend an extra hour and a half riding. It makes it harder to not ride due to rainy weather since 65 minutes in rain or a 20 mph headwind is tolerable. It also makes it fun to ride the real bicycle on weekends again.
Old 03-16-18, 07:16 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by allan6344
Seems like most, if not all of the suggestions for rules are coming from people who have never ridden and used an e-bike. It's a little like drivers who think bicycles should be on the sidewalk. I use one for a 20 mile commute that I would otherwise need to drive or spend an extra hour and a half riding. It makes it harder to not ride due to rainy weather since 65 minutes in rain or a 20 mph headwind is tolerable. It also makes it fun to ride the real bicycle on weekends again.
So, how much power, in watts and how is it applied for your set up,... As an E-Bike rider who doesn't agree with the 750 watts and a throttle Law making it a bicycle, I want to know... What works for you...?

Last edited by 350htrr; 03-16-18 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 06:30 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
So, how much power, in watts and how is it applied for your set up,... As an E-Bike rider who doesn't agree with the 750 watts and a throttle Law making it a bicycle, I want to know... What works for you...?
Motor wattage doesn't matter with an assist limiter.

People with all sorts of vehicles (even pedal bikes) exceed safe speeds for whatever surface they happen to be on all the time. What's your point?
Old 03-17-18, 08:36 AM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I feel like there is a lot of misunderstanding of how powerful ebikes are.

a 750 watt will probably get you to around 30mph give or take
most are 250-500 watts - and max assisted speed of 28mph
mine is 450 watt top speed is no faster than a regular bike 2Oish mph what it does it help flatten the abundant WV hills so my average speed is15/17mph on my country commute vs 10/11mph

there are WATT monsters 1000-7000 watt that can hit 40 plus easily and run on the freeway speed- those do usually skirt the law because how is a cop supposed to know how much power your bike has

the trouble is in nomenclature is it a motor assisted bike
a scooter with pedals or motorcycle with an electric motor
Old 03-17-18, 09:02 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by ph0rk
Motor wattage doesn't matter with an assist limiter.

People with all sorts of vehicles (even pedal bikes) exceed safe speeds for whatever surface they happen to be on all the time. What's your point?
Of course wattage matters... and of course how it's applied matters... and of course at what speed the "assist" cuts out at matters... My point was that I was trying to establish those things, with another person who actually rides an E-Bike .

EDIT; Like nasabiker mentioned, nomenclature, is important in understanding what is a legal E-Bike, or legal E-assist bikes that are legally considered bicycles, not scooters with pedals, or a bike with a motor...

Last edited by 350htrr; 03-17-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 10:03 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Saale
I'm good with anything that presents an alternative to get people out of cars. And thankfully electric bikes aren't an unregulated mess with kilowatt rockets capable of 30 mph or more here, if you have more than 250W of assist (another person's worth of power goes a long way) or it propels you beyond 25 kph / 15.5 mph it's legally treated like a scooter in the EU and you need to get it plated, install the necessary safety parts, have a license, wear a motorcycle helmet and take it on the road instead of the bike path. To pessimists an electric cyclist is one more "false" cyclist, to optimists it's one less driver.
I like the 350 watts an cuts out at 32Km law better...
Old 03-17-18, 10:32 AM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think overall speed limits based on where your riding rather than power limiters cars have a wide range of HP yet are restrained by speed laws. and really only should the speed matter on mups and such where the space is shared with walker and such.
I have hit 57mph down hill on a standard bike so meh. there are just so many variable. eventually as they gain popularity I am sure there will be more defined regs . right now it the wild west
Old 03-17-18, 10:47 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by nasabiker
I think overall speed limits based on where your riding rather than power limiters cars have a wide range of HP yet are restrained by speed laws. and really only should the speed matter on mups and such where the space is shared with walker and such.
I have hit 57mph down hill on a standard bike so meh. there are just so many variable. eventually as they gain popularity I am sure there will be more defined regs . right now it the wild west
Speed IS definitely one way of controlling things, BUT, think about it from how things will be used perspective, a 750 watt E-Bike going 20 MPH or 28MPH up a 7%+ hill, where everyone else is doing 5, maybe 10MPH if they are in really good shape... NOT the same at all. IMO Where as if one was riding a 350 watt assist one would actually still really would need to put out everything one has to go 20 MPH up that hill and definitely would NOT make 28MPH.

Last edited by 350htrr; 03-17-18 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 03-17-18, 01:08 PM
nasabiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
that is where speed limits based on situation- just like on hwy vs back road. in the case of ebikes on mups even bikes have a speed limit. and if its a busy mup or rail trail probably shouldn't be motorized at all, - I don't disagree really with you assumption either

personally I wouldn't want that much help on my ebike anyway it starts to become pointless to pedal if its to powerful. the you have a slow motorcycle
Old 03-17-18, 03:26 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DH looked at ebikes while I was ordering my trike today- power assist types... he would like one that charges when pedaled and then can be ridden completely on battery without pedalling, but the reason is medical. He CAN'T walk with me already due to leg joint issues, he CAN bike, but uphill only for a short period and not the mileage even I can most of the time before the joint issues start causing him severe pain... for him power assist isn't the answer because what he needs is a rest period when the pain gets too bad, and that isn't an option... that way he's not limiting the distance of my rides when we go out together. I think he was also shocked at the prices. I was surprised as how many e bikes were mixed in with the other bikes at the LBS we were at (they are re-arranging displays so things weren't set up neatly like normal and it was interesting to see).
Old 03-17-18, 03:55 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by khyricat
DH looked at ebikes while I was ordering my trike today- power assist types... he would like one that charges when pedaled and then can be ridden completely on battery without pedalling, but the reason is medical. He CAN'T walk with me already due to leg joint issues, he CAN bike, but uphill only for a short period and not the mileage even I can most of the time before the joint issues start causing him severe pain... for him power assist isn't the answer because what he needs is a rest period when the pain gets too bad, and that isn't an option... that way he's not limiting the distance of my rides when we go out together. I think he was also shocked at the prices. I was surprised as how many e bikes were mixed in with the other bikes at the LBS we were at (they are re-arranging displays so things weren't set up neatly like normal and it was interesting to see).
Charging an E-Bike while pedaling is a tall order, even for people who want to use it as a trainer. One needs to be going down hills for it to be effective. Even then, most people would end up only charging 5 to 10% of the battery... If a person needs to rest and not pedal, then a throttle is a must, also a 750 watt motor would be best suited, when the bike is used that way to make sure there is enough assistance if rider cannot pedal any more.

Last edited by 350htrr; 03-17-18 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 03-17-18, 06:29 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh I know.. and I don't think he's going to get one at all for the time being.. we can just keep rides short when together or in places where stopping and sitting for a bit won't be a problem... he can sit on my trike and I can get sit on the ground while his bike stands... long run that may need re-evaluating... but for now, we'll cope without it... I was just laughing when he said that in the shop today.
Old 03-17-18, 07:35 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by khyricat
oh I know.. and I don't think he's going to get one at all for the time being.. we can just keep rides short when together or in places where stopping and sitting for a bit won't be a problem... he can sit on my trike and I can get sit on the ground while his bike stands... long run that may need re-evaluating... but for now, we'll cope without it... I was just laughing when he said that in the shop today.
and... Actually the type of bicyclist E-Bikes were made "Legal" to be ridden as bicycles were originally made for exactly his type of situation... People who need just a bit of help... Unfortunately 18 year olds, who want to ride powered bicycles at 28MPH and pretend they are riding a bicycle, and 45 year olds who can afford them have become the target market and the laws that have been enacted seem to push their priorities here in N. America... JMO
Old 03-19-18, 08:56 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
What do the numbers represent on the signs?
These are the distances in kilometers.
Old 03-19-18, 10:49 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
These are the distances in kilometers.
But why the bicycle icon? Is that the distance for a path that's strictly a bike path? Otherwise the distance would be the same if people walked or drove.
Old 03-20-18, 05:35 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
E bikes take nothing away from cycling if they create an in-road for people who would not otherwise ride =OR= create an alternative way for avid cyclists to go COMPLETELY car-free by offering really neat cargo-bike options (see Rad Bikes in Seattle)
Old 03-20-18, 07:35 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by davei1980;20235631[U
]E bikes take nothing away from cycling if they create an in-road for people who would not otherwise ride[/U] =OR= create an alternative way for avid cyclists to go COMPLETELY car-free by offering really neat cargo-bike options (see Rad Bikes in Seattle)
+1... Having said that, there IS, Are, different type of E-Bikes. and, some are closer to mopeds than others... as I understand them...
Old 03-21-18, 09:07 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

I told my wife she should consider an ebike. She almost slapped me.
Old 03-21-18, 10:11 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ebikes are just like golf to me. I suppose I will take it up whenever I get too old to do anything strenuous.
Old 03-21-18, 11:41 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by 350htrr
+1... Having said that, there IS, Are, different type of E-Bikes. and, some are closer to mopeds than others... as I understand them...
You live in BC - Have you heard of Rad Bikes in Seattle? Their cargo bike LOOKS AWESOME. If I had an urban lifestyle I would TOTALLY have that as my grocery-getter/kid hauler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.