Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does constantly riding a bike on a sidewalk wear the bike faster?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does constantly riding a bike on a sidewalk wear the bike faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:26 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick T
It always amazes me how quickly a question like "does constantly riding a bike on the sidewalk increase wear" suddenly turns into a debate about laws about riding on the sidewalk, or dangers of crossings, etc. Maybe when I have more posts it will start making sense to me.
It will make perfect sense the first time a car doesn't see you and slams into your bike, or when you see some asshat almost run over a 3 year old because he wants to use a sidewalk as a speedway.
Old 04-11-18, 06:43 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The cycleways of my town are very challenging. The surface is often bad, must be six road crossings per mile on average, plus all the sharp bends around underpasses every half mile..

To be able to cruise along a road would be relatively blissful. Until you get killed.
Old 04-11-18, 07:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Unless you pull the plug in the end of your handlebar and whisper to the bike it is riding on the sidewalk, it will never know.
Old 04-14-18, 06:47 AM
Patrick T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If at least one person has a justified reason to ever use a bike on any sidewalk-like surface (something rough with a lot of seams, including concrete slab roads, etc.) - and I would argue that many people do - then the question posed here is a valid one, and arguments about why sidewalks are unsafe are extraneous.

If someone has concerns about sidewalks being unsafe, by all means start a thread about not riding on sidewalks. That way people with a stake in the topic can see and debate the issue properly.

I think it mostly depends on the surface. There are many smooth sidewalks, there are many rough roads. Really as rydabent says, the bike doesn't "know" what it's riding on. So the question I think the OP really intends is, will constantly riding over something a little bumpy accelerate the deterioration of your bike. Whether it's cobblestones, sidewalks, etc.

Last edited by Patrick T; 04-14-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 07:04 AM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick T
It always amazes me how quickly a question like "does constantly riding a bike on the sidewalk increase wear" suddenly turns into a debate about laws about riding on the sidewalk, or dangers of crossings, etc. Maybe when I have more posts it will start making sense to me.

Anyway, I am interested in the topic, too. Usually I take my time-tested Raleigh R500 on commutes as it is less of a theft invitation, but once I took my Madone 5.9 to work. Usually I ride that on the street but my commute includes one somewhat hilly 45mph boulevard-type street (usually more like 50-55 in practice) with heavy traffic where it would simply be foolhardy to try sharing the street with cars, no matter how "legal" it might technically be. I was riding on the sidewalk (which for what it's worth is legal, here), and while seated pedaling uphill I hit a seam between the road and sidewalk that was about 3/4" off level. The shock caused a compound fracture in my carbon seatpost. To be fair, it was adjusted all the way back, and it is an offset post that makes it even FURTHER back, but nevertheless I'm surprised Trek hasn't put some kind of carbon "gusset plate" in there for exactly that reason.

So my personal experience is: obviously there will be more shock transmitted to components if you're hitting a small bump every few feet, or a large bump every few dozen feet in some areas. Laws of physics being what they are, this will by definition put more instantaneous and cumulative strain on components vs. riding on flat bike trails or pavement. So I think the question really is: How sensitive to this kind of strain are the critical components in your bike? And that will vary from one person's equipment to the next.

On the other hand, some of the potholes in Michigan are no small consequence, and as luck has it those often seem to be in the righthand 1/3rd of the roadway.
Also in MI- depending on where I do sidewalk/road on the trike and DH does both on his bike (and i used to). in some places the sidewalks are in MUCH better shape than the streets right now.. sad, but true- people are fined for not maintaining their sidewalks, but the city/county is behind on the pothole/road repairs..
Old 04-14-18, 07:45 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Back to the OP, I doubt that riding on the sidewalk is damaging the bike. The amount of repairs you've had seems a bit excessive for the age of the bike, but the same problems may have emerged if you had been riding on regular pavement.

A bit of a delicate topic: Were all of the repairs strictly necessary? I know there is a reputation of car repair shops in the US, that gouge people for unnecessary repairs -- especially women. Don't know if that happens in the bike world.

I don't ride fancy or expensive bikes, but they are quite reliable. The important factor for me is that I can do my own repairs, meaning that I can often keep things from deteriorating to the point where parts have to be replaced. For instance, brake and gear adjustments should be routinely done by the rider if possible.
Old 04-14-18, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Echoing #26,Hitting a car not expecting you doing 12+ MPH on the sidewalk, when they pull out of their driveway,
is definitely hard on your bike.
Old 04-14-18, 10:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It seems to me that a lot of jumping on and off curbs will cause more wear and tear. Also, not necessarily a direct cause, but when I'm riding 160-180 miles per week I'm checking the bike over every weekend, two weeks at the most, so the bike is always well maintained and tuned up. A mile or two on the sidewalk, maybe never at all until something goes wrong.

The last thing, from what I've seen there's a lot of mashing going on with sidewalk riders. Maybe due to more frequent stopping, maybe some other reason but it's what I've observed. I think that it causes more wear on the drive train.
Old 04-15-18, 06:39 PM
andrepoiy

Bikes: Diadora Orma

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Back to the OP, I doubt that riding on the sidewalk is damaging the bike. The amount of repairs you've had seems a bit excessive for the age of the bike, but the same problems may have emerged if you had been riding on regular pavement.

A bit of a delicate topic: Were all of the repairs strictly necessary? I know there is a reputation of car repair shops in the US, that gouge people for unnecessary repairs -- especially women. Don't know if that happens in the bike world.

I don't ride fancy or expensive bikes, but they are quite reliable. The important factor for me is that I can do my own repairs, meaning that I can often keep things from deteriorating to the point where parts have to be replaced. For instance, brake and gear adjustments should be routinely done by the rider if possible.
They were necessary.

My brake calliper was rubbing onto my disc, and so the shop replaced my brakes.
Then, recently, my gears were mismatched (my handle said 1 but the chain was actually on 3), and so that was tuned.
I discovered yesterday that my brake calliper is rubbing onto my disc again (a year after the brakes were replaced), so... what the heck

The bike was like $250 CAD and was on sale when I got in in 2015.
Old 04-15-18, 06:52 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by andrepoiy
They were necessary.

My brake calliper was rubbing onto my disc, and so the shop replaced my brakes.
Then, recently, my gears were mismatched (my handle said 1 but the chain was actually on 3), and so that was tuned.
I discovered yesterday that my brake calliper is rubbing onto my disc again (a year after the brakes were replaced), so... what the heck

The bike was like $250 CAD and was on sale when I got in in 2015.
Is the caliper rubbing in just one spot, or consistently all the way around?

It's worth doing a bit of research on those brakes. I'm not a disc brake expert -- yet -- because my only disc brake bike hasn't had any problems -- yet. But as I understand it, disc brakes are mounted with some ability to re-position the brake relative to the disc, due to manufacturing variations in frames. The positions of the brake pads can also be adjusted to some extent. For this reason, mere rubbing wouldn't cause me to replace a set of brakes outright unless I did some deeper digging and concluded that they were unrepairable.

Also, if the wheel has some freedom to move around in the dropout, it can cause the brake to rub. Making sure the wheels are snug at home would be worthwhile.
Old 04-15-18, 09:22 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah, calipers have adjustment. Either by shims or slotted mounting holes. A caliper catching the disc is isually a simple adjustment.
Old 04-16-18, 02:15 PM
andrepoiy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Is the caliper rubbing in just one spot, or consistently all the way around?

It's worth doing a bit of research on those brakes. I'm not a disc brake expert -- yet -- because my only disc brake bike hasn't had any problems -- yet. But as I understand it, disc brakes are mounted with some ability to re-position the brake relative to the disc, due to manufacturing variations in frames. The positions of the brake pads can also be adjusted to some extent. For this reason, mere rubbing wouldn't cause me to replace a set of brakes outright unless I did some deeper digging and concluded that they were unrepairable.

Also, if the wheel has some freedom to move around in the dropout, it can cause the brake to rub. Making sure the wheels are snug at home would be worthwhile.
It rubs constantly all the way around. They're Shimano branded.
Old 04-16-18, 05:22 PM
Gresp15C

It rubs constantly all the way around. They're Shimano branded.
This could definitely be an adjustment or alignment issue. Also, it seems remotely possible that something has gone out of whack with the wheel bearings -- the experts here might know more about that.

It's worth researching this. Also, I always recommend with any new bike technology (as my disc brakes were recently new to me), taking a very close look at them while you work the brake lever, and form a mental picture of how they work, that might make some of the online info seem more coherent.
Old 04-21-18, 05:03 PM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
OP, just a thought but you say you are riding it to school. Is it possible that your bike is being damaged more by how it is being stored and not so much by the ride? People aren't always that gentle when putting their bike into a rack. Not necessarily you but I mean others around you. Is it possible people are hitting your bike when putting theirs into a rack and bumping things like your derailed and brakes?

Depending on where I am I ride on either the road, multi use path or sidewalk. I do find sidewalks to be a bit rougher but in sections where I ride I'm usually going pretty slow since I'm not out to break any speed records when I'm just doing a casual ride.
Old 04-21-18, 05:35 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I ride on the sidewalk most of the time, if I am not inside a housing tract or on a bike trail anyways. Jumping on and off is probably not the best for the bike and is the main worry/annoyance I have on the sidewalk, especially when some idiot has a dog on the sidewalk that they are not controlling. Or like today some other idiot put about 10 'open house' signs up all over the sidewalk near my housing tract. I jumped off the first time, after that I just kicked them all over because they had to place them EXACTLY in the middle of the sidewalk where it is absolutely impossible to get around them even if I slowed down to a crawl (which is a big annoyance).

It sounds more like you just have a jalopy used bike, though. Disc brakes are also a maintenance pit and I doubt they are useful for most riders especially if you are just going to school and back on the bike. The former owner probably got rid of it because it was starting to have lots of minor issues, and after not long those minor issues because serious problems.

That is why I would not get a used bike unless there is a huge discount. You will end up spending a lot of time and money on it in most cases.
Old 04-22-18, 11:41 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends if its a left or right hand drive
Old 04-22-18, 06:41 PM
andrepoiy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
OP, just a thought but you say you are riding it to school. Is it possible that your bike is being damaged more by how it is being stored and not so much by the ride? People aren't always that gentle when putting their bike into a rack. Not necessarily you but I mean others around you. Is it possible people are hitting your bike when putting theirs into a rack and bumping things like your derailed and brakes?

Depending on where I am I ride on either the road, multi use path or sidewalk. I do find sidewalks to be a bit rougher but in sections where I ride I'm usually going pretty slow since I'm not out to break any speed records when I'm just doing a casual ride.
It is possible that others are hitting my bike, but I tie my bike to a fence, not a bike rack.
About speed though, I try to ride as fast as possible when I go to school, because I hate being late...

Originally Posted by Oneder
I ride on the sidewalk most of the time, if I am not inside a housing tract or on a bike trail anyways. Jumping on and off is probably not the best for the bike and is the main worry/annoyance I have on the sidewalk, especially when some idiot has a dog on the sidewalk that they are not controlling. Or like today some other idiot put about 10 'open house' signs up all over the sidewalk near my housing tract. I jumped off the first time, after that I just kicked them all over because they had to place them EXACTLY in the middle of the sidewalk where it is absolutely impossible to get around them even if I slowed down to a crawl (which is a big annoyance).

It sounds more like you just have a jalopy used bike, though. Disc brakes are also a maintenance pit and I doubt they are useful for most riders especially if you are just going to school and back on the bike. The former owner probably got rid of it because it was starting to have lots of minor issues, and after not long those minor issues because serious problems.

That is why I would not get a used bike unless there is a huge discount. You will end up spending a lot of time and money on it in most cases.
My bike was not used, it was new and purchased during a sale. And yes, I sometimes have to get off the sidewalk and ride on the grass for a bit if I am passing a pedestrian.
Old 04-23-18, 09:54 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I always wondered, does biking almost exclusively on sidewalks wear a bike down faster?
I'd be willing to bet that the sidewalk would actually wear out a bike slower, since there is much less sand and debris (as opposed to the shoulder on the side of the road) to get kicked up into the drivetrain and wear the chainrings, chain, and rear cassette out faster, and there's typically a much, much less chance for flats on the sidewalk. With that being said, I ride with the sand and debris.
Old 04-24-18, 07:46 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What causes wear on a bike? There is friction in moving parts, stress from weight and other forces and vibration. The friction wont change but the bumps on the sidew... cant bring myself to say that, the footpath are far worse than on the road. The constant vibration is going to shake things loose and each bump sends a shock through the frame and wheels.

But I still wouldn't worry about it. And as for the safety aspect, there is no good answer to that, it depends. In the part of Australia where I used to live you'd need a death wish to ride on the road, people would deliberately hit you or just throw rubbish at you if you were lucky. Now where I live in Tokyo I am sometimes on the road, mostly on the path (like most cyclists, including the police). If the roads are quiet I am on the road, but often its too crazy, been buzzed by trucks inches away too many times and taxis that cross into my side of the road coming at me head on because a car has parked in opposing lane, that one happens a lot. I have had cars back out of drive ways but I am not stupid and have eyes, I always see them first.