Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 08:12 AM
Faizal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And my frame looked very much like norco ones..
Old 10-24-18, 11:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Faizal
Hi all.
i just recently got a vintage SHIMANO frame.
It has the original SHIMANO decals on it.
i’m pretty sure it was manufactured by Giant/Nishiki.
serial number starts with YF.
but not sure of its model
A Giant manufactured Nishiki would have a date code or serial number starting with a 'G'. Norco was designer and distributor for the Canadian market Nishiki, which would typically have a Giant or Kawamura or Kawamura serial number. The Kawamura built Nishiki for the Canadian market typically had a serial number starting with 'C'. Yamaguchi had a serial number format starting with a 'Y' but the 2nd character was numeric.
Old 10-24-18, 04:13 PM
Faizal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the orompt reply T-Mar!
Old 10-24-18, 04:15 PM
Faizal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still waiting to hit 10 posts before i could post up pics!
Old 10-25-18, 04:19 PM
Faizal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YF87088827 is stamped below the bottom bracket.

i’ve emailed yamaguchi bikes regarding this.
they said serial number is not theirs.

btw, i’m from singapore.
Old 10-25-18, 04:41 PM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Faizal
Seems that nishiki is also linked to norco.
Norco was the Nishiki importer in the 1980s and had a similar catalogue of bikes.
Old 11-05-18, 04:21 AM
Heymain420

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
A Giant manufactured Nishiki would have a date code or serial number starting with a 'G'. Norco was designer and distributor for the Canadian market Nishiki, which would typically have a Giant or Kawamura or Kawamura serial number. The Kawamura built Nishiki for the Canadian market typically had a serial number starting with 'C'. Yamaguchi had a serial number format starting with a 'Y' but the 2nd character was numeric.
My citi sport serial stamped on crank bottom is numbers only do you know how to identify with only numbers? Thanks
Old 11-05-18, 04:23 AM
Heymain420

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heymain420
My citi sport serial stamped on crank bottom is numbers only do you know how to identify with only numbers? Thanks
I also located what looks like C3 and in front of the c is something I cant make out.
Old 11-05-18, 08:23 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Heymain420
Sorry, I don't know how to de-code the Korean serial numbers but the bicycle is a good match for a 1991 model. The C3 is lug part number.
Old 11-11-18, 04:20 AM
PEricSwanDahly

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Thread, NEW post / question

I believe my Nishiki is a 1971 based on known history and the serial number (Extremely difficult to read). SN is K-71-00190, on bottom bracket, near as I can decipher - it's hard to read between the "K" and the "71". I see no stamps between those two markings. I'm seeking to confirm model, build date/origin. It has the Molybdenum/Chrome frame with Suntour comps - basically. Red paint with bar-end shifters. Serial # doesn't seem to jive with previous posts data or downright lack of info. Previous posts seem to indicate 2nd part of SN is a letter referring to Month of mfr. Mine has no such letter; My SN is K-71-00190. Any insight or info would be appreciated. This is a special bike to me - a gift I received from my brother in the late 70's, that he purchased used(a couple of years old)

in about 1975. Any info would be greatly appreciated by me, and, based upon the lack of info I've found, may be of interest to others as well. I can provide pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 11-11-18, 08:59 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by PEricSwanDahly
I believe my Nishiki is a 1971 based on known history and the serial number (Extremely difficult to read). SN is K-71-00190, on bottom bracket, near as I can decipher - it's hard to read between the "K" and the "71". I see no stamps between those two markings. I'm seeking to confirm model, build date/origin. It has the Molybdenum/Chrome frame with Suntour comps - basically. Red paint with bar-end shifters. Serial # doesn't seem to jive with previous posts data or downright lack of info. Previous posts seem to indicate 2nd part of SN is a letter referring to Month of mfr. Mine has no such letter; My SN is K-71-00190. Any insight or info would be appreciated. This is a special bike to me - a gift I received from my brother in the late 70's, that he purchased used(a couple of years old) in about 1975. Any info would be greatly appreciated by me, and, based upon the lack of info I've found, may be of interest to others as well. I can provide pictures if anyone is interested.
Welcome to the forums. We know it's not a 1971 model because Nishiki did not exist as a brand until the 1972 model year. I suspect the serial number has a couple of missing characters between the "K" and '7'. Based on the CrMo tubing, colour and bar end shifters, the leading candidate would be a Nishiki Competition but photos would be required for confirmation.
Old 11-11-18, 02:34 PM
Gavin1010

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good looking bike
Old 11-11-18, 02:36 PM
Gavin1010

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too!
Old 11-12-18, 02:25 AM
PEricSwanDahly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. We know it's not a 1971 model because Nishiki did not exist as a brand until the 1972 model year. I suspect the serial number has a couple of missing characters between the "K" and '7'. Based on the CrMo tubing, colour and bar end shifters, the leading candidate would be a Nishiki Competition but photos would be required for confirmation.
I've tried 2 responses with photos which have been rejected, one due to the fact I've not posted at least 10 times, and the other due to "too many characters" (over 40,000). ??? The photos I'm prevented from posting here show everything. Frustrating. Any suggestions? Admin? Shall I just submit 8 more random worthless posts to meet the 10-post threshold? Kinda stupid, but I'll do it.
Old 11-12-18, 10:05 AM
T-Mar

I've tried 2 responses with photos which have been rejected, one due to the fact I've not posted at least 10 times, and the other due to "too many characters" (over 40,000). ??? The photos I'm prevented from posting here show everything. Frustrating. Any suggestions? Admin? Shall I just submit 8 more random worthless posts to meet the 10-post threshold? Kinda stupid, but I'll do it.

I was able to retrieve your photos and what you have is the top of the line Nishiki Professional with some apparent modifications. The tubular wheelset has been rebuilt as wired-on, which was fairly common. Also, the brakes would typically be centre-pull, as opposed to side-pull, and the saddle would not be a leather version.

The first three characters of the serial number appear to be K7E. The year and month indicators are reversed from the format used by Katakua, who typically built the Professional. However, even if we assume this is just a factory error, it would indicate May 1977 and the bicycle appears slightly older. I suspect this was actually built by a sub-contractor who used the Imperial Japanese Calendar and that the frame manufacture date is May 1972. This could be corroborated by examining the back of the crankarms for date codes. I suspect you are going to find 46-x(x) or 47-x codes, where x indicates the month and 46 & 47 are Showa dynasty years corresponding to 1971 and 1972. Please report what you find.

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-19-18, 01:07 AM
PEricSwanDahly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modifications noted, and I'm aware of all with the exception of the saddle. My brother did the rest, for my sake - it originally had sew-up tires swapped out for high-pressure clinchers (as my brother termed). I'm curious as to what the original saddle was. I attempted to post photo of the crank, but not sure if it went through. Crank stamping is "46.11", so is that a November '71 - sold as a '72 model?. All original as far as I know except for the brakes (formerly center-pull - I knew that - ) and the saddle, which I was unaware of prior to you mentioning it. Hope this goes through so I can get some feedback and more insight on this bike which is very important to me.
Old 11-19-18, 08:28 AM
T-Mar

Modifications noted, and I'm aware of all with the exception of the saddle. My brother did the rest, for my sake - it originally had sew-up tires swapped out for high-pressure clinchers (as my brother termed). I'm curious as to what the original saddle was. I attempted to post photo of the crank, but not sure if it went through. Crank stamping is "46.11", so is that a November '71 - sold as a '72 model?. All original as far as I know except for the brakes (formerly center-pull - I knew that - ) and the saddle, which I was unaware of prior to you mentioning it. Hope this goes through so I can get some feedback and more insight on this bike which is very important to me.
Thxs, the crankarm code helps. The crankarm itself was manufactured November 1971, which would be appropriate for a 1972 model year bicycle. It also increases confidence in the frame manufacturing date being May 1972. Japanese manufacturers typically started building the new models around September. This allowed them to build up stock and allocated time for trans-oceanic shipping, customs clearance and channeling through the USA distribution system, yet still have the first shipments in shops for the lucrative Christmas season.

I am still curious that the serial number format uses the Japanese Imperial Calendar and wonder if Katakura transitioned and changed their format around this time. To this end, I would appreciate if you would check the branding of the handlebars. Early Nishiki racing models manufactured by Katakura typically used Nitto handlebars that carried a Nishiki Road Silk designation. Silk was a Katakura brand, so their presence would increase confidence in it being a Katakura manufactured frame, like the slightly later Professionals. It's unfortunate that the decals have been removed, as Katakura manufactured frames also had Silk designations on some decals.

Regarding the saddle, specs were notoriously sparse during this era. It was rare to mention the brands and models of major components like the derailleurs, cranksets and brakes, let alone secondary components like a saddle. Early Nishiki racing models typically came with a narrow saddle having a plastic base covered with a layer of foam and a leather cover. I've seen both Elina and Tahei brands. Having said that, 1972 saw the biggest sales jump in 10 speed sales, with demand outstripping supply. Consequently, substitutions due to shortages were not unknown, though the Japanese seemed to suffer least in this area. If the current saddle is a Japanese brand,then there is the possibility of a factory substitute but if it is not Japanese, then it is almost certainly a post factory replacement.
Old 11-19-18, 09:19 PM
PEricSwanDahly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thxs, the crankarm code helps. The crankarm itself was manufactured November 1971, which would be appropriate for a 1972 model year bicycle. It also increases confidence in the frame manufacturing date being May 1972. Japanese manufacturers typically started building the new models around September. This allowed them to build up stock and allocated time for trans-oceanic shipping, customs clearance and channeling through the USA distribution system, yet still have the first shipments in shops for the lucrative Christmas season.

I am still curious that the serial number format uses the Japanese Imperial Calendar and wonder if Katakura transitioned and changed their format around this time. To this end, I would appreciate if you would check the branding of the handlebars. Early Nishiki racing models manufactured by Katakura typically used Nitto handlebars that carried a Nishiki Road Silk designation. Silk was a Katakura brand, so their presence would increase confidence in it being a Katakura manufactured frame, like the slightly later Professionals. It's unfortunate that the decals have been removed, as Katakura manufactured frames also had Silk designations on some decals.

Regarding the saddle, specs were notoriously sparse during this era. It was rare to mention the brands and models of major components like the derailleurs, cranksets and brakes, let alone secondary components like a saddle. Early Nishiki racing models typically came with a narrow saddle having a plastic base covered with a layer of foam and a leather cover. I've seen both Elina and Tahei brands. Having said that, 1972 saw the biggest sales jump in 10 speed sales, with demand outstripping supply. Consequently, substitutions due to shortages were not unknown, though the Japanese seemed to suffer least in this area. If the current saddle is a Japanese brand,then there is the possibility of a factory substitute but if it is not Japanese, then it is almost certainly a post factory replacement.
Handlebars show a crest labeled "Sakae Custom" on one side, and "Road Champion" on the other, left and right - respectively - looking from the front. The saddle is a leather Brooks Professional.
Old 11-20-18, 07:50 AM
T-Mar

Handlebars show a crest labeled "Sakae Custom" on one side, and "Road Champion" on the other, left and right - respectively - looking from the front. The saddle is a leather Brooks Professional.

Thxs. It's interesting that bars are SR. At the time, the Japanese component companies were divided into two rival trade associations, JEX and JBM. SR was part of JBM, while the SunTour derailleurs, Sugino crankset and original Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes were part of the JEX group. It was very rare to mix parts from competing trade associations, so I wonder if the bars (and stem) may also have been changed? SR bars typically have a date stamped at the end, but you'd have to remove the tape. However, if the stem is also SR, you could check its date code, which is typically stamped just below the insertion mark. The bars and stem may have been changed by the original owner, to achieve a better fit.

Regarding the saddle, the presence of a Brooks almost certainly indicates a post factory replacement. The original owner probably rode a Brooks Professional saddle prior to the Nishiki and changed it as personal preference.
Old 11-20-18, 06:07 PM
PEricSwanDahly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thxs. It's interesting that bars are SR. At the time, the Japanese component companies were divided into two rival trade associations, JEX and JBM. SR was part of JBM, while the SunTour derailleurs, Sugino crankset and original Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes were part of the JEX group. It was very rare to mix parts from competing trade associations, so I wonder if the bars (and stem) may also have been changed? SR bars typically have a date stamped at the end, but you'd have to remove the tape. However, if the stem is also SR, you could check its date code, which is typically stamped just below the insertion mark. The bars and stem may have been changed by the original owner, to achieve a better fit.

Regarding the saddle, the presence of a Brooks almost certainly indicates a post factory replacement. The original owner probably rode a Brooks Professional saddle prior to the Nishiki and changed it as personal preference.
Your insight and knowledge is impressive and I'm learning a great deal here. What you say makes total sense about the saddle. I can't speak to the originality of the bars with any certainty. The first time I saw this bike was when my brother first acquired it around 1975, and it was as new condition including the grip tape on the bars. A lot of things could have changed in the first couple of years with the first owner, so there's no way to confirm originality, I guess. I doubt my brother knows, remembers, or even cares. I will get the date of the stem when I get the chance, or remove the grip tape which I put on myself, but never liked anyway. You mentioned in earlier post about the decals on the frame, and as far as those go I have never seen this bike WITH them. I honestly don't think it ever had them. If you have any other ideas / insight on the decals, I'd be very interested in what you have to say on that. The list of questions seems to only grow larger on this bike, but if all these things were changed, the changes were before the bike was 3 years old I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts on this bike which, as I've mentioned, is of great value to me personally.
Old 11-21-18, 10:54 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Nishiki International

My current project is an early 80's Nishiki International in the dark blue
with outlined lugs. I measured the seat tube C-T at 58cm
& 58cm for the top tube as well.

I have been perusing thread trying to narrow down exactly what year.

It appears to look like this one that the owner labels as a 1983.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1983-...nal-build-5184
My parts match up with his.

I added 10 pics as perhaps that will aid and document for someone down the road.

The serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket is GE 03135.

If I am interpreting the SN decode info
correctly the G is for Giant built.

If the E is for year that would signify 1985.

The online 1983 catalog page does not sync up
to this one.
Of course I understand there were many made for different markets
and could be spec'd differently so that could explain the variance.

The Suntour Symmetric shifters could be a significant telling detail.
and both derailers are Suntour Cyclone MII.

Crankset is Sugino GS with 42x52 drilled rings and 170mm crank arms.

The Dia Compe G N500 calipers have 0385M stamped on them
and the Sakae Custom Road Champion bar has C-85 stamped it.

The Sakae Custom stem has 80 & 5355 stamped on it.

It came with 27" Araya rims, Sansun hubs, Suntour Perfect 6 cog freewheel 14x28.

By the way it did not come with seatpost and saddle.
I used some from my parts bin.
Datapoint , seatpost is a 26.6.

Thanks for input on narrowing down year.

Another note, a 40mm wide 700c tire fits this machine front and rear.

I look forward to the rebuild and getting it out on the road.

Last edited by cooperryder; 11-21-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 11:29 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
This 1983 catalog page shows the International with a triple
crankset ,different Suntour derailers and 700c wheels and no blue color listed.

1983 Nishiki catalog | Flickr

Old 11-21-18, 01:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts

Olympic 12, Giant 86? Any idea on seatpost diameter? Nishiki 4130 tubing.
Old 11-22-18, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by curbtender
Olympic 12, Giant 86? Any idea on seatpost diameter? Nishiki 4130 tubing.

Try a 26.6 or 26.8mm. Tange was the primary tubing source during this era. With the exception of Prestige, Pro and #4 , all their CrMo tubesets, including plain gauge, used a 26.8mm nominal inner diameter for the seat post.end of the seat tube. Allowing for typical clearance would result in a 26.6mm post but a 26.8mm post might be a better fit if the tube was reamed.
Old 11-22-18, 07:05 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by cooperryder
My current project is an early 80's Nishiki International in the dark blue
with outlined lugs. I measured the seat tube C-T at 58cm
& 58cm for the top tube as well.

I have been perusing thread trying to narrow down exactly what year.

It appears to look like this one that the owner labels as a 1983.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1983-...nal-build-5184
My parts match up with his.

I added 10 pics as perhaps that will aid and document for someone down the road.

The serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket is GE 03135.

If I am interpreting the SN decode info
correctly the G is for Giant built.

If the E is for year that would signify 1985.

The online 1983 catalog page does not sync up
to this one.
Of course I understand there were many made for different markets
and could be spec'd differently so that could explain the variance.

The Suntour Symmetric shifters could be a significant telling detail.
and both derailers are Suntour Cyclone MII.

Crankset is Sugino GS with 42x52 drilled rings and 170mm crank arms.

The Dia Compe G N500 calipers have 0385M stamped on them
and the Sakae Custom Road Champion bar has C-85 stamped it.

The Sakae Custom stem has 80 & 5355 stamped on it.

It came with 27" Araya rims, Sansun hubs, Suntour Perfect 6 cog freewheel 14x28.

By the way it did not come with seatpost and saddle.
I used some from my parts bin.
Datapoint , seatpost is a 26.6.

Thanks for input on narrowing down year.

Another note, a 40mm wide 700c tire fits this machine front and rear.

I look forward to the rebuild and getting it out on the road.
This is not a Giant manufactured frame. It was manufactured by Kawamura in 1985. While they rarely turn-up, it appears that the G-prefix on Kawamura frames indicates an Asian market model. Nishiki were spec'd by the importers in each market, so there could be significant variance in models between markets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.