Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Backing off . . . suggestions?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Backing off . . . suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 12:24 PM
xraydog

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Saxophone (or other instrument) lessons .... time to get in touch with your creative side. Plus it will feed your obsessive appetite.
Old 10-20-18, 06:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
That captures the issue pretty well. But for me, it should be, "Hi, my name is . . . and I'm a racer." Therein lies the issue. Deep down, I like the fitness aspects of cycling, but I'm really in it for the competition. If my knees weren't so decrepit, I would just switch to running -- because running has reasonably narrow age group categories from cradle to grave. Cycling doesn't have that and that's my issue.

Can I be just as fast at 5,000 miles as at 10,000 miles? No way. I've tried it both ways. A bigger base is always a lot faster. But again, if the oldest "Masters" category at the race is 40+, I might acquit myself well, but I will not be winning. (I like winning. I don't want to be the old guy also-ran.)

And I have friends who do the long, slow tour and rando stuff . . . but when forced to trundle along at touring paces, I tend to go insane.

I appreciate all the input. Several of these ideas definitely warrant consideration.

Progress report: I thrive on planning things. (Maybe I should do more coaching.) Last night, I cut the races out of next year's schedule. I tried to reduce my training load below 7 hours a week -- and ended up with about 9.5 hours per week on the schedule. And I increased the number of gym workouts per week on the schedule. "My name is Flash, and I'm a racer." I'm working on it!
Just curious, are you in the 50-55 age group?
Old 10-21-18, 10:15 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Just curious, are you in the 50-55 age group?
No . . . 58. 59 for next season's races.
Old 10-21-18, 10:31 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
I've been a competitive cyclist for a long time. But lately . . . I've begun to realize that my days of racing with the young folks are numbered. And I'm old enough that most races don't include Masters classes that fit my age group. I've also begun to realize that, if I back off of my habitual / obsessive training regimen, I will have a lot more time for life. No injury issues. Maybe I'm growing up. I'm thinking of cutting up to 50% of my training miles for 2019. Should be easy, right? Problem is . . . you don't ride 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year without being at least a little obsessive. (Yes, there are people who ride a lot more. That's a LOT obsessive.) It's going to be hard psychologically to cut that many miles / hours. Has anyone else gone through this transition? How did you handle it psychologically? Do you have suggestions that will make the lifestyle change / transition easier to handle -- and more likely to be successful?
Corpus Fishing.com

Try fishing. Tennessee has many fishing options. I get bored with biking I go fishing it is a good balance.
Old 10-21-18, 03:47 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
No . . . 58. 59 for next season's races.
Got it. I can relate. My speed and power were still such I was able to do similar as you at that age range. However I started noticing a drop in power a few years later in my early sixties so it was easier to transition to more of a endurance style of riding than a race style. The ability (and willingness) to ride slightly slower speeds but longer saddle time was perfect for my ride across the US. Lots of hours of steady watts at a comfortable pace.....I could see howt it might be harder to start backing off if your skill level hasn't diminished unless you're mentally ready to head that direction.

Last edited by jppe; 10-22-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 05:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A friend who's a strong cyclist (although I don't think he raced) had set KOMs for most of the local segments worth noting, and he was in his early 50s when he did that. Some of those still stand although a few have been snagged by much younger folks including some local pro and amateur racers.

After those accomplishments he moved on to centuries. Last year he rode more than 100 centuries. Incredible. I could barely finish the one century I rode last year. I enjoy the metric and half centuries, but the fun wears thin after about 75 miles for me. An old neck injury and recent shoulder injury tend to limit my rides to under 50 miles.

Last time I chatted with him he said he felt like he finally got all the competitive and goal oriented stuff out of his system. He still rides a couple of centuries a month, but he mostly rides in the 20-50 mile range at a much more leisurely pace (for him). His "leisurely" pace is still a clip that would leave me huffing and puffing.
Old 10-25-18, 02:35 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
You'll need to maintain fitness to a certain level. I hated gym bikes (spinning and otherwise, but instructor led classes are fun for all ages. It's been good for me last 10 years. Since I did bike classes (sprint, RPM etc, Les Mills stuff) I've never looked back; you meet a lot of like minded folk.
And I've not crashed a Gym bike yet . . . . .
Cheap rates for oldies! I'm 70 and lovin' it!
Old 10-25-18, 06:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Easy-peasy: Take up rando. That's what I did when I couldn't climb with the leaders anymore. As you get older, your endurance gets better for quite a while, and you have lots of experience to bring to a new way of expressing your fitness. Randonneuring is really fun. It's not necessary to ride all night in the rain. I never did that. One can pick and choose one's brevets and permanents. One can do brevets like time trials, which is fun, or one can do them like a bike tour and take one's time. If one's fast enough, it's possible to take long breaks, photos, meals, all sorts of entertainments. But I guess for you, the TT aspect would be good. No AGs, but results of brevets are published. In my late 60's I'd be in the top 10% if I had a good ride. I rode ~5000 miles/year during that period. It's neat to have 400k over which to work your strategy and tactics. I thought it a cool feeling to be able to ride forever. When I wasn't competitive in rando anymore, I took up tandeming with my wife, competitive tandeming, as it were. Trying not to age out of that now.
Old 10-26-18, 11:10 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Start mentoring younger riders?
Do any of the local schools have a cycling or mtb team? Might want to offer to volunteer as an assistant coach or mechanic. I heard of people doing this and finding it quite rewarding. Volunteering for a cycling advocacy group might be a possibility too. You’d definitely know the issues cyclists face on the roads.

john
Old 10-28-18, 07:46 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
To be honest, the concept of someone being obsessed with cycling (putting in miles or never taking some time off) never really crossed my mind. I can ride 5-6 days a week and then take 2 weeks off. Maybe I'm just lucky not to have the "competitive" gene. I ride strictly for the enjoyment of riding. If I don't think I'm going to enjoy it that day, I don't ride.