Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New and need advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 11:29 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
If your current bike is in good shape try getting some light tires for it. If you have typical heavy knobbies you will be surprised what a difference it will make. Your local bike shop (LBS) will have some hybrid tires that should work at far less cost than a new bike. Probably a new chain, brake pads and a general tuneup would be a good idea. If you go to the bicycle mechanics section you can learn how to most things for yourself.
I agree. Fix it as you wish and ride it while looking at options. Do not rush out and buy a new bike. It will be cheaper to try eBay parts on the old bike while sorting out mods that actually mean something to your riding. Things like saddle changes, bars, grips, etc. Once you have it sorted, you can be looking for a new bike that will be a step up. You'll have a good baseline
Old 02-14-19, 05:54 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxton19
Hello all
I recently picked up cycling to lose weight and get in shape. Unfortunately my bicycle is in a 12 year old mountain bike that is ready to be replaced. I have since moved to Southwest Florida, and I'm looking for a bike to use down here. I would use it for exercise and recreation. This would be mainly on the road, not trails or sand. What I'm looking for is a type of bike that would be good for me to look into. Not necessarily a brand, but more a style or something along those lines.

Thank you!
The new-gadget fix is often illusory. The real traction is in areas like finding good exercise regimens, motivation, discipline, persistence, and regularity.

New gadgets are often like New Year's resolutions. They usually don't work on their own. Parts missing. The psychological essentials.

If you really want to try a new bike, go for it. Just be sure the rest is in place if you really want the results.

A disciplined person sticking to a good regimen and riding a beater will improve in fitness and weight far more than a person with an expensive bike and undisciplined practices. There are tons of bikes sitting in garages gathering dust despite the best of their owners' original intentions and plans.

Discipline, motivation, clear and effective practices....

Just riding around doesn't necessarily yield good exercise and results. Even walking is often better exercise. The riding can be pretty mild.

Some bikes are a joy to ride, though, and provide incentive. They can feel like an extension of your body. They can make it easier to push yourself and get your heart rate up and your blood pumping.
Old 02-15-19, 05:30 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Not to derail this into a diet thread, but...
A few years ago I was topping out about 270#. My wife and I changed to a low glycemic index diet and I started riding regularly again. My LDL cholesterol was 166 (Very High)
In 2 weeks of a new diet and exercise I dropped my LDL to 114. A 52 point drop in 2 weeks.

In 3 months I had lost over 50 pounds

I told myself early on in the process that if I broke 200#, I would get a new carbon road bike. A year and a half ago, I made it down to 175#. My doctor told me to put some of it back on. He said 185 would be a very good weight for my build. I am up a bit but it has been a lethargic and dreary winter.

Set a goal and select a good reward.