Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

What do you know about the Kettles?

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 03-25-19, 05:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts

Last fall I rode over Sherman Pass from Republic. It was beautiful and larchy. This year I'd like to ride up there same pass from the east. I'd also like to explore the Kettle Crest, and I'm hoping people in here might have some good tips.

I'm open to exploring on foot or on a MTB. I'll have to rent to do that. I've never done bike packing and this seems like a good option. I have no idea when those parts thaw, but I'd love to be there for the wildflower show.

Finally, I would love recommendations on road rides in the area too.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-19, 08:44 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Evergeen MTB has a good bit a trail information:

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/kettle-crest

Every summer Evergreen organizes Kettle Fest, a multi-day ride/trail work event. It's not on the calendar yet, but if you happen to catch it there will be lot's of peeps that can show you around.

That's a beautiful area.

Last edited by woodway; 03-26-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 03:37 PM
pyeyo

Bikes: how big is this cell anyway?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The loop from Wauconda up Toroda Creek then along the Kettle River to Curlew back down to Republic is nice, there is a ghost town along Toroda with intact buildings called Bodie, many places to stay along with Curlew Lake State Park. There is a chunk of Rails to Trails down to Republic also. It could be done either clockwise or counterclockwise (probably less elevation gain CC) The Ranald MacDonald State Park and historic gravesite is the smallest in WA State and is a few miles of the Kettle River Rd. It is possible on a gravel bike to cross the border at Midway and re-enter at Danville. Any riding in this area should be planned before wildfire season. A real small town experience is Curlew Days celebrating floating bootleg Canadian Whiskey across the border in barrels. I used also do the Molson Grade out of Oroville but like the ride from Colville to Ione the shoulders and traffic can be sketch at times.
Cheers, Pye