Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Mt. Baker Artist Point

Old 04-11-19, 08:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Mt. Baker Artist Point

I was looking to ride up to Artist Point this weekend & see that conditions are listed as "unavIlable" but there is also no restrictions, or "closed for season" listed either.

DOT pass conditions website. WSDOT

Does that mean "closed" "We don't know." "Go ride it," or what?
Old 04-11-19, 11:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Nevermind. They don't know & there is no restrictions because it is closed until July.

It is accessible to hikers & fat tire bikes though. So there is that.
Old 04-11-19, 03:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
Years ago I drove up to somewhere near Bellingham with my bike and rode up to Artist Point. It was a beautiful day in April, sunny and warm. Except on Baker. My hands had never been so cold as on the ride down. People were still skiing and snowboarding up there, the road was only plowed to the ski area parking lot.

This year people will be skiing at Stevens Pass until June. Artist Point is higher (I think) and gets more snow.
Old 04-13-19, 07:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Years ago I drove up to somewhere near Bellingham with my bike and rode up to Artist Point. It was a beautiful day in April, sunny and warm. Except on Baker. My hands had never been so cold as on the ride down. People were still skiing and snowboarding up there, the road was only plowed to the ski area parking lot.

This year people will be skiing at Stevens Pass until June. Artist Point is higher (I think) and gets more snow.
It's usually open to Artist Point by the 4th of July, but not always. Earlier, one can just ride up to the snowline and turn around. I don't think the road is ever closed, you just get to the snowline. They plow it as far as the ski area.

I rode it once in June, rainy day, but it started to sleet by the time I hit the end of plowing near the Mountaineers lodge and turned around. I had a jacket and leg warmers. Yeah, when I got to the bottom, my legs wouldn't go around but I didn't shake so bad I lost control of the bike, so that was good. The other good thing is that there's a climb to right away to get of the hole where the road crosses the river.

We rode all the way up when they had the tandem rally in Bellingham in '15. That was a great day! Those Camelbaks were empty by the time we got to the top, but we didn't need water on the way down. There's a hose bib in the road construction yard at the bottom. I doubt that we could still do that, so good that we did it when we could!