Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Ticketed For Blue Lights on Bicycle?

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Anyone Ever Ticketed For Blue Lights on Bicycle?

Old 04-29-19, 07:37 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 569 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful project and I wouldn't worry about the blue lights.

The multi-colored spoke light arrays include blue. Never heard of a problem with those.
Old 04-29-19, 08:02 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
I don't know for sure about Washington state, but they are illegal in California on vehicles that are not emergency law enforcement vehicles. Not sure how a cop would react to them on a bicycle though, but the vehicle code does have a section that says something like 'bicycles are allowed to use the road as long as they obey the rules of the road' (CVC21200). I have known folks who have gotten tickets for running stop signs, red lights, and riding on the wrong side of the road, but not for blue lights (even those bluish LED lights).

That said, I used to hang out with a Los Angeles Sheriffs Deputy who told me they used the blue light law when they were involved in a 'maximum enforcement' situation where they got word of possible illegal activities were going to happen (possible street racing, cruising, potential gang activities, etc). They wouldn't issue 'fix-it' tickets, they'd actually impound the vehicles for the illegal equipment so the cars would be off the road for the night, and the owners would have to get the vehicle bailed out the next day (much more costly!!!). This would apply to ANY blue lights - headlights, under-body show lights, even interior lights.
Old 05-01-19, 11:59 PM
maallyn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Was this person a student at the university? What was the consequence? We have Western Washington University here in Bellingham. Perhaps I should not have the sculpture that has the occasional blue light on while on campus if I a student?
Old 05-02-19, 12:17 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You can have pink, orange and purple lights if you truly please but blue is reserved for law enforcement vehicles usually and that includes bikes, mopeds and motorcycles they might employ. You state's drivers manual usually spells this out.

Flashing blue especially.