Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- July 6/7

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 03:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling or other sports on this first weekend of July.
Old 07-07-19, 07:53 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Well, I got out both days finally. Beautiful weather both days.

Saturday - Got out early on the old 1985 Ribble bike. Really expected to crank out a fast ride but just couldn't maintain the higher gear I wanted. Bike felt to flexy. Worked hard for the 25.25 mile route but only managed a 19.1 avg.

Sunday - Took out the Vitus Argal this time on the same route and starting about the same time. Took it easier today but this bike holds speed much better and let me push a higher gear. So even though there was less perceived effort the pace was much better at 19.6 mph and that was effected by some headwind late in the ride.

Old 07-08-19, 07:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Neck was aching after a bad experience with a new chiropractor last week, so I took off most of last week, other than a couple of short interval sessions, then rested most of Saturday and Sunday. I can handle a little gentle traction on the head and neck, but not any herky-jerky manipulations. I should have made that clear to the chiropractor before we started. Actually made me dizzy and nauseous for a few days.

55 miles Friday on the old Univega, including a 20 mile group ride bookended by the trip to and from. Pretty bad crash injured a fellow right in front of me, but nobody else got tangled up. He slid headfirst into a curb and his helmet probably saved his life.

After seeing that and watching my handlebar video, I ordered a second helmet. Nothing wrong with my Bell Formula MIPS, but I wanted to try a POC anyway and the newish Omne model is sorta reasonably priced as POC goes. The Bell Formula has minimal protection of the occipital region of the skull, which is where that fellow's head smacked the curb. The POC looks like it covers a bit lower on the rear, without going into a mountain bike type fit. We'll see.

Felt pretty good Sunday night and did 22 solo rural miles on the '89 Centurion Ironman. Intended to take it easy but turned in one of my fastest times on that familiar circuit. Guess I needed the rest last week.

I know what you mean, @jamesdak. Sometimes bike feel doesn't really match bike speed. I usually prefer the Univega when I'm achy for the long wheelbase and flexy fork, but something about it felt wrong Friday. I think I need to adjust or replace the stem height and reach. It was putting my neck at a persistently uncomfortable angle, although it looks like it should be comfortable.

And while my Ironman doesn't *feel* as fast as my Trek 5900, my actual speeds are about the same. And the Ironman is more comfortable on chipseal. Springy fork, 700x25 tires, nice ride on rough roads.

I'm kinda tempted to try some wheels like yours on the Trek 5900. I've only ridden old school low profile rims like Wolber Alpines and Araya CTL 370. Kinda curious to try some higher profile rims, without going full aero. We get some pretty fierce cross winds on the open prairie and I'd rather not feel like I'm fighting a sailboat.
Old 07-08-19, 12:56 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
It was July 4th extended weekend for me, so I got in some bonus rides. I was also back in the Ocala Nat Forest for some rural riding. Thursday I went on a lumpy ride. Mostly going either up or down the whole way. Did a pretty good 42 miles. Friday it was really hot. I wanted to take a part of my route through a dirt road, but it turned out to be loose sand and I had to give up and take a plan B road. It shorten my ride, which was just as well since I was dying in the heat. I did finish the ride at a cool spring, where I had a very refreshing swim. Total 38 miles. Saturday did a reverse of the Friday loop. Did better with the heat for another 42 miles.

Likes For bikecrate:
Old 07-08-19, 01:34 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I took Friday off of work, and that combined with the US holiday on Thursday made for a great weekend riding in the mountains.

Squaw Peak Road

Provo Canyon

South Fork

Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 07-08-19, 09:23 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I had a really lovely 4-day weekend.

I wanted to go somewhere during this mid-winter break between courses, and wasn't sure where to go. Flying to the mainland is problematic these days, but I was still trying to figure out how we might manage it when all of a sudden one day Rowan asked if we could go back to a place we had stayed during our Christmas break, here in Tasmania. Perfect!! Less expensive than flying and much less hassle. And I really liked it there too.

It's a cabin on an old historic farm up north ... so peaceful and quiet. Hardly any people ... just animals and nature.

We drove up on Friday, got settled in and relaxed with a fire in the fireplace. Then I had one of the best night's sleeps I've had in a while ... and I've been sleeping fairly well lately! I was just so comfortable.

On Saturday we took a walk around the historic farm looking in at the buildings, watching the animals, and our favourite animal, a cat called Mr Higgins, found us and followed us back to the cabin. We were thinking about going for a bicycle ride, but neither of us felt really energetic so Mr Higgins and Rowan fell asleep near the fire, and I read my book. We didn't feel like going out and finding dinner. Fortunately, we had brought some food and the place supplies a lot of breakfast food, including fresh eggs, so we were able to put together dinner.

Sunday I woke up after another long comfortable sleep to a world full of fog. It was THICK! Again, we had planned to go for a ride, but didn't think it would be safe to cycle in fog that thick. The fog stayed all day and even shut down the airport not too far away. Mr Higgins came back so we, three, spent the day around the fire dozing, reading, watching the Tour de France, etc. It was great!! Again, we didn't feel like going anywhere for dinner, so we cobbled together something with eggs, toast, and soup.

We came home yesterday, but neither of us really wanted to leave ... and I don't think Mr Higgins wanted us to leave either. I could easily stay out there for several weeks. Nevertheless, it was lovely spending a weekend not really doing anything.

Photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...57709506345221

The view from the cabin ...

The view from the cabin ... with the fog ...

The cat and the fire ...
Likes For Machka:
Old 07-08-19, 09:44 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Been slacking on the bike lately, so paid the price in leg pain at the end of this one.

Had to walk it off while waiting for the recovery beer & brat.

62, 5k
Old 07-09-19, 08:55 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Posting this week saying I'll ride next weekend so I feel I have to get on the bike next weekend I had a sudden work contract come up that's had me working all over the place so haven't been able to ride more than 2 months, but next weekend....
Old 07-09-19, 09:03 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Not technically the weekend, but on 7/4 I got in an epic 132 mi ride, averaged 19.6mi/h but ended up having to stop a bunch because the temp began averaging 95F:

Likes For firebird854:
Old 07-10-19, 02:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A cabin that includes a fireplace and a tabby named Mr. Higgins sounds pretty good to me too. I think I could do without a bike ride for a weekend of that. But I'd need to get permission from Eartha Kitty, my own enormous gray tabby. She often blocks the door when I'm trying to go for a bike ride.
Likes For canklecat: