Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
Ride the Hurricane

Friday July 12, 2019 16:32 PDT

Olympic National Park News Release

“Ride the Hurricane” Bike Day Scheduled for August 4 on Olympic National Park’s Hurricane Ridge Road

Olympic National Park will host an exciting opportunity for cyclists to “Ride the Hurricane” between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4.

To provide a safe experience for the event, the road will be closed to all motor vehicle traffic between the Heart O’ the Hills entrance station and Hurricane Ridge, starting at 6:00 a.m. and ending at noon. This applies to both uphill and downhill travel. The road will open to traffic at noon, when the event is finished.

The event is a recreational climb into the Olympic Mountains on the scenic Hurricane Ridge Road. The Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce is organizing the ride, with sponsorship from local businesses.

Olympic National Park will waive entrance fees at the Heart O’ the Hills entrance station for the rest of the day on August 4. Access to the Lake Angeles-Heather Park trailhead and Heart O’ the Hills Campground will remain open throughout the day.

For more information about the “Ride the Hurricane” event, visit the Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce website at www.portangeles.org/pages/RideTheHurricane/.

-NPS-
Old 07-13-19, 01:50 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,664 Posts
have not ridden but it's on the "to-do" list. as i understand it, riding this normally (outside of a special event) entails at least a rear blinker light because
of tunnel(s)??

sounds awesome. i wish more national parks with comparable roads to ride would do the same. maybe they do but haven't heard of any outside
of yellowstone opening roads for cyclists a week before automobiles.
Old 07-14-19, 08:04 PM
fishgirlcycles

Bikes: Liv BeLiv 1 (2018), Mosaic GT-2 (custom, 2019), Brompton S6L (2018)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm signed up for this. Staying in the area all weekend so I can ride Tour de Lavender with my husband the day before.
Old 07-15-19, 08:40 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Can someone give me a bit of background on the ride? I went to the link/website looking for elevation profiles/information but couldn't find anything. What's the grade like? Is the ride marked, or is it a straight out and back? What about the 160k ride? Is there a GPX file anywhere?

Thank you.
Old 07-15-19, 02:52 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW Glacier NP lets bicyclists on to Going to the Sun Road before they open it to cars typically in mid to late June. Also Crater Lake has one or more car free days on the majority of the rim drive usually in September.

I've done the Ride the Hurricane 4 times and am signed up again this year. Only have done the climb to the visitors center and back down, the longer ride uses the Discovery Trail and isn't closed to normal traffic. If I was going for a longer ride, I'd do the climb twice before I went and rode on the trail, much prefer climbing without cars to dodging runners and walkers.

The grade is relatively steady in the 5-7% range with the hardest stretch from the the lower visitor center to just before the Heart of the Hills entrance. Note that this section is open to traffic but it usually isn't heavy. They repaved the road a few years ago and as of last year the road surface was still very good.

This guy has a good description of the climb.
https://pjammcycling.com/climb/170.H...-Ridge-Cycling
Old 07-15-19, 06:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Can someone give me a bit of background on the ride? I went to the link/website looking for elevation profiles/information but couldn't find anything. What's the grade like? Is the ride marked, or is it a straight out and back? What about the 160k ride? Is there a GPX file anywhere?

Thank you.
5,240' of vert over 17 miles. Give or take. Just one road involved.
Old 07-15-19, 09:43 PM
NoWhammies

Sounds like a pretty decent ride. The link @busygizmo posted gives a pretty good look in to the ride. Very cool.
Old 07-16-19, 01:32 PM
busygizmo

It pretty much checks all the boxes for me. Lots of climbing, good to great scenery and car free for the majority. The only other nearby rides that check this box are the Mt. Baker hill climb in September and a little afield the Crest the Cascades down in Sisters that goes over McKenzie Pass before they open it up to cars in June.

The only negatives are the close to 3 hours not including ferry line wait it takes to get there and and the expensive limited lodging there is in Port Angeles. You can probably get something cheaper in Sequim but we like to get a room in town that we can roll out the front door from. The ride starts at 7am and they open the road at noon so you would have to leave early depending on where you are coming from to do it in one day.
Old 07-17-19, 09:30 AM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by busygizmo
The only other nearby rides that check this box are the Mt. Baker hill climb in September
Yup. I'll be there! Love that ride.
Old 07-17-19, 11:17 AM
busygizmo

So glad they brought this ride back. We rode the old Ride 542 ten years ago and have been wanting to get back up there again to ride and enjoying the area.
Old 07-17-19, 04:56 PM
NoWhammies

I'll be wearing my Ride 542 socks on the day of the race/ride!
Old 07-23-19, 12:18 PM
NeuroDawg

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse; CAAD9-5; Cannondale 4 29'er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It pretty much checks all the boxes for me. Lots of climbing, good to great scenery and car free for the majority. The only other nearby rides that check this box are the Mt. Baker hill climb in September and a little afield the Crest the Cascades down in Sisters that goes over McKenzie Pass before they open it up to cars in June.
Not an organized ride, but we try to ride Mount Rainier to Sunrise every year before the road opens to vehicle traffic. Not quite as much climbing as Hurricane Ridge, but very enjoyable with fewer people.