Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seller's remorse. Sold my beloved Cannondale 3.0 to buy a modern bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 03:10 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Two different bike shop owners told me in one week that my 56cm 3.0 Crit was too big for me. I had to accept the fact that I've shrunk down to 5'9" so when a great deal on a close to NOS 54cm 2009 SIX 5 came up for sale, I bought it. After a week of ownership I am a little surprised to find out it's actually slower on short steep climbs than the three pound heavier 3.0, and that, unlike my old bike, it won't take 25mm tires. It is faster on everything but short sprints and hill climbs and I guess it fits me better and rides a bit smoother, and all those extra gears are nice but still...
Anyway, it just headed down the driveway in the back of its new owner's pick up truck, so I'll have you learn to love the one I'm with.
Old 07-29-19, 04:01 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
There's something very special about those bikes. I think of mine as my Formula One car. Not a daily driver, but a frame to push the limits on days when I wanna ride HARD. Everything is faster on that bike, uphill, downhill, sprinting, cornering. But it sacrifices just a little in comfort.
Old 07-29-19, 04:05 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Lots of 54cm out there in C&V, I sense an opportunity
Old 07-29-19, 04:40 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This is sitting on my local CL. I don't know if it is a 3.0.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...944216984.html
Old 07-29-19, 04:43 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Had the same bike back in the day--I had a lower end one with the steel fork--and also wish I'd never sold it. Even with its heavy Wolber rims that was indeed a fast bicycle. Mine fit me just fine.
Old 07-29-19, 04:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I'm 5'11", and on most bikes I fit best on something that's a "size 56" or thereabouts.

The fit on my old Fuji America looks perfectly reasonable. I've got about a fist worth of seatpost showing, I'm using the original stem set about halfway between slammed and fully-extended, and the handlebar ends are pointing roughly at the seatstay brake bridge.
The fit is surprisingly versatile. I find it more comfortable for long days than any other bike in my stable, but it still offers practical aggressive racing postures. Occasionally I ride considerable distances to get to a hard spirited group ride, and sometimes end up at 100+ miles for the day; it's impossible to feel anywhere near "comfortable" after such an ordeal, but the Fuji is probably my favorite tool for that sort of job.

The seat tube on that old Fuji happens to measure around 59cm center-to-center.

There have been a couple times when I've told bike shop employees what the seat tube on the old Fuji measures. On one occasion, this tiny snippet of knowledge caused the guy to suddenly conclude that the bike was too big for me.

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Two different bike shop owners told me in one week that my 56cm 3.0 Crit was too big for me.
Did they make that judgement based on your height and the number "56", or did they make it based on how the bike was actually set up and how you looked on it?
Old 07-29-19, 05:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m 5’9 and ride a 54 Criterium Series. Fits me perfectly. No other bike rides like it. There is no chance of a casual ride when mounting this beast. Pulse quickens, aggression builds, adrenaline dump occurs and the assault on hills begins.
Old 07-29-19, 07:32 PM
audiomagnate

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
There's something very special about those bikes. I think of mine as my Formula One car. Not a daily driver, but a frame to push the limits on days when I wanna ride HARD. Everything is faster on that bike, uphill, downhill, sprinting, cornering. But it sacrifices just a little in comfort.
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I got on it and said to myself I'm just going to take it easy and then ten seconds into the ride I'm like, "screw it, I'm going for it!"

Originally Posted by ryansu
Lots of 54cm out there in C&V, I sense an opportunity
I like the way you think. Same bike, same color correct size.

Originally Posted by Headpost
Had the same bike back in the day--I had a lower end one with the steel fork--and also wish I'd never sold it. Even with its heavy Wolber rims that was indeed a fast bicycle. Mine fit me just fine.
Mine had the steel fork too. I'm convinced that's the way to go.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I’m 5’9 and ride a 54 Criterium Series. Fits me perfectly. No other bike rides like it. There is no chance of a casual ride when mounting this beast. Pulse quickens, aggression builds, adrenaline dump occurs and the assault on hills begins.
See above. You don't take a thoroughbred for a trot in the park.
Likes For audiomagnate:
Old 07-29-19, 10:23 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This is sitting on my local CL. I don't know if it is a 3.0.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...944216984.html
That red bike isn't a 3.0, or possibly even a Crit, from the look of things. 'normal' drop-outs, and the 'station' head badge say its a pretty early one though.

There is a 3.0 on the Richmond CL, though, but it's a 58cm. I've been keeping my eye on that one. (my 'project car' is taking up my 'project bike' money at the moment )

I hate the Richmond VA CL. There's always much more interesting vintage bikes and classic cars / motos than here, and it's within striking range of a Saturday afternoon shopping excursion.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 07-30-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 05:00 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Keep an eye out for the 2.8 series in your size. .2 kilograms or 7 ounces lighter than an old fashioned 3.0 series! It also comes equipped with an aluminum fork! It's a true early '90s pedal rocket.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-30-19, 03:48 PM
audiomagnate

Originally Posted by hazetguy
audiomagnate: you're in atlanta, so look on CL for a "correct sized" replacement. there always seems to be a constant flow of cannondales for sale down there.

on one hand, i am happy that atlanta is just a bit too far for me to just hop in the car and go, because there is a steady stream of nice bikes (and other stuff i'm into) posted there. keeps me from having way too much that i don't really 'need' (and spending a lot of travel time on the road).

on the other hand, it bums me out that atlanta is just a bit too far, because there is a steady stream of nice stuff that i'd love to own!
I found this bike on "LetGo" and the seller claimed it was a 54. It wasn't until I got it home and measured it and decoded the serial number that I discovered it was a 56. I'm short legged so the reach was fine and I could straddle it at a stop light, but it was a little snug. There are lots of bikes here and many good deals seem to sit forever.
Old 07-31-19, 05:26 PM
audiomagnate

The replacement:

2009 SIX 5 Aluminum triangle with carbon fork and rear end