Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Route from Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal to King Street Amtrak Station

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 08-06-19, 12:09 PM
blueoaks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any advice for a route from the Fauntleroy ferry terminal in Seattle to the Amtrak station in downtown Seattle? My husband and I live in Portland, OR, and do a fair amount of riding around town in Portland. We're going to spend a couple nights on Vashon Island, and are hoping to take Amtrak with our bikes so we can avoid driving. My husband hates riding on dangerous roads with a lot of traffic with no bike lane and roads that are ugly, full of trucks, high-speed drivers, etc. Is there an enjoyable ride from this ferry station to the Amtrak station, or should we just stay another night on Vashon so we can take the commuter ferry back to Seattle? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 08-06-19, 01:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
Do you use RideWithGPS? You can hug the waterfront up to Alki Beach, then once over the West Seattle Bridge take the trail along E Marginal Way to King St. Getting across the bridge is a bit confusing, but the route is mostly tame.
Old 08-06-19, 03:34 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not sure where you are coming from but if you are getting to Fauntleroy from Vashon there is a passenger ferry that leaves Vashon and goes directly downtown. It's limited run but they allow bikes. Then you'd only be half a mile or so from King Street Station. It only runs during the commute hours and weekdays only.

Alternatively you can follow the water as suggested above to Alki and get to the Water Taxi just south of there which also ferries you across the water and avoids the bridge to the same terminal.

Personally I'm not enthralled by the ride over the bridge and the surface streets through that part of town. I live in West Seattle and when I want to go on a training ride starting from home the only place I go anymore is over to Vashon and the 2-1/2 miles back and forth to the terminal is the worst part of the ride. Vashon is very pleasant to ride on especially if you take the secondary roads away from the main highway and don't mind hills.
Old 08-06-19, 08:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
I would personally prefer to catch the ferry into downtown, especially with what you've said about your husband. There's great riding in West Seattle, but it gets more trafficked as you get closer to the bridge and you'll have to cross an intersection here won't like. It isn't very bad, but the other ferry is a better option of you can make it work.
Old 08-07-19, 11:48 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
All that love for Vashon, hope you're all up on your vaccinations!