Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you secure your bike on your car bike rack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you secure your bike on your car bike rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 06:13 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
There is no way to completely keep the thieves away.
Perhaps, outta sight, as locked in the giant trunk of a 1965 - 1975 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, or some other period land yacht with a huge trunk.
Possibly a Ford Econoline van or Chevy van....
Does the last version of the Ford Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis (1992 - 2011) have a large enough trunk? It seems the boxy shaped '89-91 Crown Vics had the largest trunks. Perhaps a 1988 or 1989 Lincoln Town Car...
The latest Ford Transit and Mercedes vans look like they would be fine.
A low budget approach might be an old ex- UHAUL enclosed trailer... A new enclosed motorcycle trailer would not be low budget.
IF ALL THIS SEEMS TOO SILLY, you'll just have to keep an eye or your bike(s) when parked. Locks only delay the thieves for just about two minutes, but that may be just enough to have them pass on attempting to swipe yours.
Old 08-11-19, 09:19 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Normally I don't like leaving my bike out of eye sight. But if I do . . .
First three U locks: One securing the frame to the hitch rack. One locking the front wheel to the frame. And the other locking the rear wheel to the frame.
Then three cable locks: One looping through saddle rail, locking frame to hitch rack. One locking front wheel and frame to hitch rack. And one locking rear wheel and frame to hitch rack.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-12-19, 11:55 AM
Jicafold

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The idea of "lock it inside your car" is both ridiculous and frankly, off-topic. It does not even approach answering the OP's question, and offers absolutely nothing useful whatsoever. For all we know, the OP has a car too small to fit a bike inside, or even-- gasp-- a truck.

So to give an actual answer:

I have the "worst" kind of bike rack, which holds the bikes by the top tube. I'd likely prefer a tray-type, but the pillar style rack fits perfectly in the wife's trunk when not in use. It lives in the car year-round.
I use a Kryptonite long-shackle U-Lock and a 15' braided cable. I first put the cable through the two little hoops on the receiver, whose names I do not know. But I assume every receiver has them.
I then weave the cable through both wheels and the frame, then loop back around to the rack's pillar.
I put the ends of the cable onto the Krypto shackle, then put the shackle over the downtube and the pillar, and lock everything together, so that the bottom portion of the lock is facing the bumper.
The 15' cable is easily long enough to wrap two bikes. When I have two bikes on the rack*, I use the U-lock to lock the two frames together, just above the bottom brackets.

Yeah, someone could cut the cable, and then unbolt the entire receiver and rack from the car. But the whole point is to make the bike seem less accessible, and therefore not worth the hassle.
A bike sitting inside a car is protected by a piece of glass. That bike can be stolen with a chunk of brick.
Geez. Take your medication. The OP said "I would like to take my bike to work or store for a later in the day ride, but I don't want to find that my bike was stolen. ", so putting a bike inside the car is a legitimate answer. He is from GA and likely has tinted windows so it is unlikely that anyone would even know there is a bike inside.
Old 08-12-19, 11:58 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I keep nothing in my car, not even spare change. Thieves sneak around the housing developments at night with spring loaded car window punches and clean up. They make less noise than using a hammer plus it's quicker. Thieves broke out 28 car windows in one night last year in the 2 developments next to me. We have cameras & motion detection security lights, driveway lights up like a prison yard long before they can get to the cars. Most car parts places sell the Key Chain Escape tool for $12 so not a capitol expense for thieves though they probably shoplift them.

I have a 1-UP and use U-bolts & heavy duty cables. I always pass one of the cables through the car frame, 1-UP locks aren't all that good, a rock coming off the road broke the head off one of mine at the hitch mount making it useless. Anybody with a hammer to break the head off & the right tool to loosen it can get one off in less and a minute, maybe a couple if loaded with bikes. My theory if they want it, they will get it. I just make it look so hard & time consuming to get off with multiple locks & cables they will pass it by. Yea it's a PITA but has worked so far.

Back in the 70's somebody stole a whole rack of bikes off the UNC campus. Theory was they backed a roll back wrecker up to it and pulled the entire rack bikes & all onto the truck and were gone before anybody saw them. If there is a will, there is a way.
Old 08-12-19, 12:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Geez. Take your medication. The OP said "I would like to take my bike to work or store for a later in the day ride, but I don't want to find that my bike was stolen. ", so putting a bike inside the car is a legitimate answer. He is from GA and likely has tinted windows so it is unlikely that anyone would even know there is a bike inside.
It’s not a legitimate answer to the OP’s question, and your response adds nothing pertinent to the thread. No medication required.
Old 08-12-19, 01:07 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I have a hitch mounted (Thule) rack that has a built in lock and cable. Which I'll depend on if: I'm traveling somewhere and stop to get coffee or food. AND then I try to sit by a window...I have better locks and cables but I go Way out of my way to not leave the bike sitting on the rack. The rack itself locks to the car, but I would guess both of it's locks are easy to break...I could bring a better cable and ulock, but I'm happier just not living it sitting.
Old 08-12-19, 01:39 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I've seen more than once in this thread the notion that it would take longer to get a bike out of the inside of a car than it would to cut through a lock/cable.

It must be nice to have lived such a quiet and undisturbed life, but that's simply not how it works.

An opportunistic thief with no planning or skills can be inside your car in a few seconds should they decide to.

A determined and prepared thief is going to steal whatever they want, no matter how well it's secured.

But trust me-- if there are two cars on the street, and one has a bike in the backseat, while the other is cabled and locked to a rack, the one in the backseat is likely to go first.

It's not a magic barrier-- it's glass. It keeps the environment and honest folk out in equal measure.
A video went the rounds here a couple years ago of thieves rolling up beside a parked, expensive car, deactivating the alarm (they had some sort of codebreak/hacking device for this purpose) and pulling out the ~$5k race bike which had been ready for the owner’s triathlon the following morning. It’s not the only instance around here of a competitive cyclist/athlete’s house being staked out and their high-dollar ride being taken the night before an event.

Against that, there have also been any number of videos showing thieves taking bikes off the racks of cars while parked in traffic. No locking method is 100% thief proof.
Old 08-12-19, 02:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

It’s not a legitimate answer to the OP’s question, and your response adds nothing pertinent to the thread. No medication required.
It’s a perfectly valid response. One of the benefits of BF is that questioners frequently get not the answers they asked for, but the answers they need. Eg, the question “which groupset should I upgrade to?” will 95% of the time be answered with “you should upgrade your wheels instead.” Since the OP didn’t specify, it’s also reasonable to think the OP might not have already considered storing inside the car.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 08-12-19, 03:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Next time you're taking a test of any kind, try out the technique of answering a question that was never asked. The actual, word for word title of this thread is "How do you secure your bike on your car bike rack?" Not "should I lock my bike in my car" or "what's the safest place to store my bike." Only a select handful of people have made any effort to answer the question posed by the OP. This is not analysis of literature-- we're not here to play the guessing game as to what the question posed may or may not mean.
Old 08-12-19, 03:53 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
See my chain comment below.

I have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0. It's great. It's lightweight, about 33 pounds, so it's very easy to lift off the garage hooks and mount on the car, about 60 seconds. And the bikes load securely in 30 seconds.

There was a recent thread: Kuat NV Stolen off Car Beware

The empty racks are a good target for thieves. My Kuat has a 1 1/4 hitch, so the locking pin is only 3/8 inch thick, unlike the 2 inch receivers that have 1/2 inch locking pins. I think a crowbar would pop the lock off the end of the pin, or a moderate sized bolt cutter would work. Even the hitch is only held on with a few bolts!

From my comment in that thread:

Any cable can be quietly cut with a good, sharp electrician's diagonal cutter, snipping a few strands at a time. My Kuat comes with a cable that locks into the rack. It's good for stopping grab-and-go thieves, that's about all.

Long chain
I may get a long case hardened chain if I want to leave bikes on the rack for a few hours. This site sells Abus hardened chains by the foot, with or without a cloth cover. I need 9 feet of chain to go through both wheels of two bikes, and back to the hitch's hook loop -- that will be about 20 pounds of chain!

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-12-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 04:59 PM
Leinster

Next time you're taking a test of any kind, try out the technique of answering a question that was never asked. The actual, word for word title of this thread is "How do you secure your bike on your car bike rack?" Not "should I lock my bike in my car" or "what's the safest place to store my bike." Only a select handful of people have made any effort to answer the question posed by the OP. This is not analysis of literature-- we're not here to play the guessing game as to what the question posed may or may not mean.
This isn’t a test, though. It’s advice.

If I’m taking an exam, I will always answer the question as written, because the person writing the test is examining a specific area of my knowledge on the subject matter. If a client asks me a question, and it appears to me that they have not considered all the variables in their question, it would be professionally remiss of me to not alert them to those other variables.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 08-13-19, 03:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Bike Forums: All the advice you never asked for and don't want.
Old 08-13-19, 03:30 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Classic!
I answered the OP's question. Do I win a cookie?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-14-19, 11:37 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Jicafold please leave this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-15-19, 11:54 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
What ever you do make sure you use a backup safety rope for a backup in case something fails or comes loose.
Old 08-15-19, 05:58 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've left a bike unlocked on a rack overnight at a motel.
When I stay in a hotel, I take the bike to my room. I’ve never had anyone say anything when I roll it through the lobby and I to the elevator.
Old 08-15-19, 09:25 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I don't like bike racks that attach to cars. Too much road dust & dirt gets into the cogs, chainrings, and chain. Then if it rains, ughh. Always the chance of getting rear ended. Possible to back up and into someone. Harder to parallel park. I always put the bike in the car. I have an older (2005) Camry with a trunk and a lot of miles on it. It's my car to park at trailheads whether hiking or mtbking, park & ride lots, and road biking when meeting others. As it's a trunk there are no windows. No one knows there is a bike inside this older car. I used to have a 2002 CRV. I could take the front wheel off and fit the bike in with the rear seats down. If I was parking the CRV for a long time and the vehicle unattended (like when I'm at work) I'd cover the bike and front wheel with two blankets. Very hard to tell there was a bike there. Looks more like a messy car than anything else!
Old 08-16-19, 03:16 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I use a good U lock through the frame and back wheel securing it to a bike rack set in concrete. If I’m out of eye shot of the bike I will then take the front wheel off and take it in with me.
Old 08-16-19, 01:37 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
I look at my Bike rack as well as others and they don't seem secured from theft. Am I wrong? I would like to take my bike to work or store for a later in the day ride, but I don't want to find that my bike was stolen. Your feedback on this is appreciated.
Some racks offer security, others don't. Trunk racks are the worst - for theft AND reliability. Thus I refuse to use them. Roof and hitch racks usually lock. However, the locks can be defeated. I've heard of entire Yakima systems being pried off of roofs with bikes attached. But that was San Francisco.

I just stopped using my Yakima roof rack system for everyday bike transport. When I had four or five bikes up there, I used the SKS locks as well as my ulocks and cables to secure the two bikes on the ends. A good enough deterrent to stop all but the most determined of thieves. I'd leave them locked overnight in front of our hotel or at the campsite. But not overnight in any urban environment with moderate to high theft incidence.

Now I'm using a Kuat hitch rack (and loving it!). I utilize the built-in cable locks for almost all low-theft scenarios. As well as backup in case of a bonehead move not securing a bike properly. But the built-in security are cable locks and inherently low security. Thus, on trips, I bring along my Kryptonite chain, disk lock and ulocks. The 4-bike Kuat rack alone is over a thousand bucks, so it's worth redundant locking it alone, even more so the four bikes attached to it. So I can lock the chain to the cutout in the trailer hitch and lock all the bikes and the Kuat rack in one shot. This is enough to allow me to sleep at night. Anyone going to town with an angle grinder would get my rack and bikes. And that's ultimately what insurance is for.

I hope that helps.

PS I LOVE the Kuat and their awesome customer service (sent me four matching lock cores for my mis-matched system free of charge). BUT, why on earth does Kuat stamp the lock key number ON THE LOCK CORES??? Right there for everyone to see! So before hitting Utah this last spring, I took the trusty Dremel Tool out and ground off the lock core numbers. Jeez people, let's NOT make it easier for thieves, shall we?!!!
Old 08-16-19, 01:56 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
The idea of "lock it inside your car" is both ridiculous and frankly, off-topic. It does not even approach answering the OP's question, and offers absolutely nothing useful whatsoever. For all we know, the OP has a car too small to fit a bike inside, or even-- gasp-- a truck.

....Snip....
This comment couldn't be more wrong! Not locking a bicycle inside a car often results in TWO violations:
1) Your bike being stolen
2) Your window being smashed
Unless you live in Pleasantville where there's no crime whatsoever, your advice is seriously lacking. For the rest of us who live in the USA where bicycle theft is a major problem, locking your bike in your car is absolutely necessary. In fact, you want to be sure to lock it and be sure the thieves see the bike's are securely locked. Maybe even put a note on the window saying, "Bikes securely locked to vehicle inside."

The only advice worth considering is NOT leaving bikes in vehicles in the first place. Because even with locks, many idiot, crackhead, addict thieves will smash the window anyway just to discover the lock IS ACTUALLY HOLDING THE BIKE! I don't think I'd leave a bike in a car in an urban environment for this reason. But if I had to, I'D PUT SEVERAL LARGE ULOCKS ON THE BIKE(S) AND MAKE SURE THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY LOCKED.

And yes, vehicle content burglary in many urban areas is so bad that people clean out their cars and leave the doors unlocked. Some SF residents put stickers on the windows, "Unlocked, come on in! Nothing here to steal!" or "Unlocked! Don't break!" Window replacement costs more than many people's bikes. So take that into account when considering bicycle storage.

And I'll add that the adage, "My bike's too nice to lock!" is about the dumbest statement anyone could make. Or "I don't let my bike out of my sight." Really? You have it with you in the shower? When going to a movie? Or any other number of scenarios where you can't be near your bike. If you own a nice bike or bikes, you should own a nice lock or locks. Lock your bikes wherever you leave them. My college roommate laughed uncontrollably at me for locking my beloved '85 Cannondale mountain bike in my apartment bedroom. Boy he thought I was the most paranoid person he'd ever met. (My first bike was stolen on campus.) But I didn't relent and continued locking my bike WHEREVER I left it. And boy am I glad I did. Subsequent to college, I managed several LBSs in San Francisco. I lost count of the number of times customers came in and said, "I need a new bike. Mine was stolen out of my apartment." People forget that bikes in homes and apartments are PERFECT getaway vehicles for thieves after they burglarize you. So "having a bike too nice to lock" is hogwash and absurd. Lock it if you love it!
Old 08-16-19, 03:00 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wouldn't know. I own a P/U truck. XD That being said, I have seen peeps use U- Locks through the wheel and frame, so that would be thieves look else where (or at least hopefully they do).
Old 08-17-19, 04:09 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Thule Roof rack with their locking cylinders. These are basic at best but help slow things down. I then use Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit locks with a cable. I don't drive with these locks on just when I park.
Old 08-23-19, 01:15 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
I look at my Bike rack as well as others and they don't seem secured from theft. Am I wrong? I would like to take my bike to work or store for a later in the day ride, but I don't want to find that my bike was stolen. Your feedback on this is appreciated.

I solved the theft problem in this way, I have a GMC Cargo van, and put my bike in it and lock it up, I also use it for camping and traveling and it works great, and the bike is out of sight. Some things to consider.......first thing is, a van is not for everyone, but it's something to consider for hauling your bikes around, you can only have one passenger and with my solar panels on top I can't put it in my garage anymore, not the greatest gas mileage and not the most desirous of good looking vehicles but it doesn't stand out and draw attention, there are so many just like it that no one pays any attention to it and I have lots of room, I also have a Kuat swing away bike rack carrier and can keep my bikes locked up to the bike rack with a couple of U-Locks and chain wrapped around everything and that's a pain but sometimes I can't fit two bikes in the van along with my camping gear but I prefer keeping them in the van, no rear windows and the side door windows have a deep tint so you can't easily see inside, plus, the partition makes it so you can't see anything from the front windows. Privacy plus protection.
Likes For TommyTwoTone:
Old 08-23-19, 10:22 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
What ever you do make sure you use a backup safety rope for a backup in case something fails or comes loose.
[I have a Swagman XTC platform rack, with the center beam that folds up/down and it has ratcheted hooks to hold the bikes. . One day we took the bikes into Chicago, and I threw a cheap cable lock round both bikes to deter some kid possibly taking a bike off at a stoplight.

Coming in on the freeway, I look in the mirror and see no bikes behind the car. Oh no. I pull to the shoulde Both bikes are there, but are almost horizontal, with their tires strapped into the tire trays, but I had forgotten to pin the center beam and it had folded itself, allowing both bikes to tip over, Only my cable lock was keeping the handlebars from dragging.