Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

High humidity

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

High humidity

Old 06-07-19, 09:04 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
��
How-wet-wipes-destroying-planet...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...allergies.html
Interesting, but I'm not carrying a guilt trip around because of it. 🙄 I'm touring in Arizona, and water's not exactly plentiful here. And for what it's worth, ALL my trash goes into a small plastic bag, tied to the back rack. Then into a garbage can, once that's available. ✌️
Old 06-07-19, 07:36 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Don't mind the mosquitoes huh? They must have some pretty passive mosquitoes then? As someone who grew up in the deep south I can say that mosquitoes are terrifying to me and always have been.

The ones you encounter in the southern states can be ravenous, and do all the things we're told mosquitoes are never suppose to do like swarm in the mid-day. In that, the science behind mosquitoes couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not exaggerating when I say they can literally dive bomb you and inject you with their cell liquefying saliva that can take years to heal. Yes, I said years. I visited the Florida everglades once as a kid and was so traumatized I have no desire to ever go there again. At least not during the summer.

The only good news is that they don't carry any of the serious life-threatening diseases like some other regions. Otherwise, the heat and humidity would be the least of your problems. A team of wild horse couldn't drag me to Panama. Good luck with that.
Yeah, I remember motorcycling in So Florida, no skeeters on the road but stepping a couple meters into the scrub (in mid-day) they swarmed like crazy (I've read the tiger mosquitoes, a more recent type, like daytime). & I did ask my Surinamese friend how local folks could tolerate the mosquitoes & didn't get a clear answer. Her American-raised husband & kids went on a camping trip into the Surinamese jungle with their local uncles...(there's actually some designated parks/camping areas)...IIRC the Americans had to use plenty of repellent but otherwise did OK. I once saw a TV show about American doctors working in the Amazon area to treat indigenous folks. One nurse was trying to give a man an injection into his arm & broke 2 hypo needles 'cause his skin was so thick.

Well I myself wouldn't pick Suriname as a top touring destination but OTOH I've heard some interesting stories. Like on big holidays (New Year's etc) they're fond of massive amounts of pro-grade fireworks. Interesting mix of cultures: Afro-Caribbean, Indian, Dutch etc. Food is good--rice, lentils, samosas, poultry etc. Go buy a goose for a special occasion & they slit it's throat...fresh as can be! I don't know much about accommodations outside the city but from what I hear the folks are quite entrepreneurial...I'd guess if one asks around one could find a house to stay at.
Old 06-07-19, 09:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Yeah, I remember motorcycling in So Florida, no skeeters on the road but stepping a couple meters into the scrub (in mid-day) they swarmed like crazy (I've read the tiger mosquitoes, a more recent type, like daytime). & I did ask my Surinamese friend how local folks could tolerate the mosquitoes & didn't get a clear answer. Her American-raised husband & kids went on a camping trip into the Surinamese jungle with their local uncles...(there's actually some designated parks/camping areas)...IIRC the Americans had to use plenty of repellent but otherwise did OK. I once saw a TV show about American doctors working in the Amazon area to treat indigenous folks. One nurse was trying to give a man an injection into his arm & broke 2 hypo needles 'cause his skin was so thick.
I'm pretty sure I've been attacked by them. Their secretions are like concentrated acid. The anticoagulant protein triggers an immune response.

I only recently discovered they have evidence that mosquitoes are attracted to Type O individuals. Which would explain why they come after me so aggressively and more than anyone else. They've sent me running for cover like a lunatic.

Well I myself wouldn't pick Suriname as a top touring destination but OTOH I've heard some interesting stories. Like on big holidays (New Year's etc) they're fond of massive amounts of pro-grade fireworks. Interesting mix of cultures: Afro-Caribbean, Indian, Dutch etc. Food is good--rice, lentils, samosas, poultry etc. Go buy a goose for a special occasion & they slit it's throat...fresh as can be! I don't know much about accommodations outside the city but from what I hear the folks are quite entrepreneurial...I'd guess if one asks around one could find a house to stay at.
Maybe they have some kind of elaborate system like they use in Disney World? But I still wouldn't go in the summer.

Old 06-08-19, 09:36 PM
DropBarFan

Interesting about the Disney World mosquito program. I've bike toured etc in South Florida coastline & had no problems. Main thing I think is to avoid woods & scrub areas if possible. Once camped with the family in Outer Banks NC, we swatted over 200 skeeters in the tent-trailer...kind of a PITA but not a total bummer. We got some bites but it wasn't agonizing.

For Suriname the avg daily high is very consistent thru the year ranging from 84° to 88° F; fall months have lowest rain but humidity only a bit less than in the wetter months. So yes it's humid but OTOH in July 2018 Paramaribo never went over 92° F so it doesn't seem brutal. I assume that with the humidity there's also cloud cover which helps a lot.
Old 06-10-19, 03:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
need to mention, I finally got the proper information about my friend.

She contracted something called the Chikungunya virus, mosquito borne, while visiting an island off the coast of Colombia called Curacao, about two years ago, not that far from Guyana, but I don't know if this is a problem in Guyana and Suriname also.
Many years ago, she had the bad luck of getting Dengue fever, another mosquitoe borne one.

both not really fun, and both with joint pain and all that jazz.
Old 06-10-19, 04:04 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
My classic (smelly) green shirt has been retired after seams started giving out. Looking for a loose-fitting replacement though not sure if better to have cotton or synthetic. In any case I expect to sweat into whatever shirts I bring -
Have you tried silk? Last month in Guatemala it was 105 or so every day in the jungle. My silk shirt got more use than my cotton or wool shirt. A ceiling fan or any fan is healthier than an air conditioned room. 30 or 40 degree drop in temperature is not healthy. When you make the adjustment to your new environment, which takes time, you will be fine with a fan.

What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months.

What did you decide on for a new bike?

Last edited by chrisx; 06-10-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 04:44 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
Have you tried silk?

What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months.

What did you decide on for a new bike?
I haven't tried silk but sounds like something to try.

This trip won't include Venezuela - though Colombia was one of my favorite countries. Pending how this trip goes, I could see Venezuela being high on the future list - though perhaps after basic economic activities sort out better.

This trip uses an existing bike (most likely my Trek 520) and haven't finalized either plans or logistics for that future trip to the Russian Far east.
Old 06-10-19, 04:46 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by djb
need to mention, I finally got the proper information about my friend.

She contracted something called the Chikungunya virus, mosquito borne, while visiting an island off the coast of Colombia called Curacao, about two years ago, not that far from Guyana, but I don't know if this is a problem in Guyana and Suriname also.
Many years ago, she had the bad luck of getting Dengue fever, another mosquitoe borne one.

both not really fun, and both with joint pain and all that jazz.
Those mosquito borne diseases don't sound like fun. As best I understand from CDC sites, chika, dengue, zika and malaria all have some presence. I haven't decided yet whether to take malaria pills but in any case otherwise take precautions against getting bitten.
Old 06-12-19, 06:25 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have toured in places that are extremely hot and humid during the summer. Over the years, I have developed strategies that I think help me to prevent bonking -- at least not too much and not as often as in the past.

1. Avoid riding during the hottest times of the day. On one trip during a heat wave, I stopped riding mid-day and didn't get back on my bike until about 3 p.m.

2. Cover up. The sun saps energy, and sunburn is no fun. I tour wearing a long-sleeved jersey and a bandana. The bandana protects the top of my head, ears, and the back of my neck. Be generous with sunblock on unprotected parts of the body, like the face, and reapply often.

3. Choose synthetics over cotton clothing. Cotton, which I prefer for everything else, is just wrong for hot weather cycle touring.

4. Drink lots of water. In hot weather, I carry at least two litres of water, sometimes three.

I've also used electrolyte drinks and thought they made a difference. But I'm not 100% sure.

I have not yet had to deal with too many mosquitoes, yet just in case, I carry a bottle of DEET-based repellant.
Old 08-05-19, 02:44 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Short follow-up as we reached Paramaribo:

1. Yes it was hot & humid. Overnight temperatures around 75F with nearly 100% humidity. Daytime highs around 90F plus or minus a degree or two. I would start sweating even starting out, but it often wasn't too bad until 10am or so - and hence we tried to do much of our cycling before then. Longest gap between lodging was 104km and that day I cheated at 54km to get a ride (wunderground told us 92F and heat index of 109F after arrival).

2. This is not a very touristed area, Guyana in particular. Suriname does have a few Dutch-speaking tourists. There is mostly one paved road along the coast. It turned out the once-per-day ferry (~20 vehicles) had broken down at end of May and service hadn't been restored over dispute of who might pay for repairs.

Fortunately, we found local boat service that ran a small wooden boat with motor across the ~4km river estuary. Other patrons complained but we were able to squeeze 16 passengers along with two bikes on the ride over.

3. The terrain is extremely flat. On the Guyana side there are signs with names of settlements every kilometer or two. In Suriname, there are some large agricultural areas (rice++) and some areas just with swampy lands. In contrast to Colombia lowlands, fewer places with trees shading the roads.

4. Where we stayed:
- 0 km, Georgetown. Reasonable guesthouse. We tried the "fan room" option which was barely tolerable.
- 62km, asked around and eventually were directed to a guesthouse (only one in this gap). Guesthouse owners grandson bought us to next village for some food. No AC, but shade and breeze.
- 108km, New Amsterdam. Small town. Hotel next to the mosque. Reasonable place with AC.
- 182km, Riverton. Hotel near border crossing.
- 197km, Nieuw Nickerie. Nice small town and hotel. Slightly out from center of town but could bike back and forth.
- 247km, Wageningen. Thought this town might have a hotel, but it closed a few years earlier. Fortunately folks near hotel guided us to house that could be rented.
- 299km, Totness. Small settlement. Hotel looked ok, but loud dance party ~10 meters from back window from 9pm to 3am. Meant 2.5 hours sleep before getting up.
- 403km, Groningen. Nice guesthouse close to middle of village. Interesting owner.
- 448km, Paramaribo. Guesthouse near center of town. Civilization again.

5. Will spend a few days here ( perhaps visiting French Guyana but not by bike ).

Overall, the expected heat most all year can make this a warm place to visit. However, relatively out of the way and not touristy destination.

In there are a mix of peoples, though felt like we were among few white people visiting. In Suriname also a mix but didn't feel as much in the minority. Felt pretty safe all around, though we also didn't go walking around at night.
Old 08-05-19, 03:59 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up.

How bad are the bugs? Have you had much rain? How is the road quality?
Old 08-05-19, 05:18 PM
djb

ya thanks for the update Mev, have been wondering how you've been doing. Its been pretty hot here, but nuttin compared to that.
Old 08-05-19, 09:58 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
A loose fitting buff will keep the sun off your neck, and you can wet it down to provide a cooling effect. It helps that you are cooling 2 carotid arteries as well
Old 08-06-19, 03:13 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by axolotl
How bad are the bugs? Have you had much rain? How is the road quality?
Bugs are minimal. Of course some of the mosquitoes can carry some nasty things, so a bit paranoid even seeing a few. Two night the hotel rooms had mosquito nets, two others I used my own mosquito net and at least two others I put some DEET.

We're on the tail end of rainy season. Around four big downpours in the week, though none while riding. Light sprinkles several additional times. This trip I brought an umbrella and glad I did.

Overall reasonable roads with few outliers e.g. 15km of cobblestones, ~3 construction zones and some stretches of rougher road. However on average, not much worse than what I find around Austin. Not much shoulders, but then also lighter traffic. We timed things to leave Georgetown on a Sunday and enter Paramaribo on a Sunday as well.

p.s. Not on the bike, but we took a side bus trip to Cayenne, French Guyana today and happened to see a Ariane 5 rocket launch that put two satellites in orbit.
Old 08-06-19, 05:59 PM
djb

Originally Posted by mev
Bugs are minimal. Of course some of the mosquitoes can carry some nasty things, so a bit paranoid even seeing a few. Two night the hotel rooms had mosquito nets, two others I used my own mosquito net and at least two others I put some DEET.

We're on the tail end of rainy season. Around four big downpours in the week, though none while riding. Light sprinkles several additional times. This trip I brought an umbrella and glad I did.

Overall reasonable roads with few outliers e.g. 15km of cobblestones, ~3 construction zones and some stretches of rougher road. However on average, not much worse than what I find around Austin. Not much shoulders, but then also lighter traffic. We timed things to leave Georgetown on a Sunday and enter Paramaribo on a Sunday as well.

p.s. Not on the bike, but we took a side bus trip to Cayenne, French Guyana today and happened to see a Ariane 5 rocket launch that put two satellites in orbit.
now thats cool. I may have mentioned this to you already, but one of my neatest childhood memories is of visiting the hanger with the awaiting Apollo 17 Saturn V in it, looking up and up and uuuuuuuup at it. Have never seen a launch, so that must have been special. Safe travels back.
Old 08-06-19, 10:13 PM
DropBarFan

Interesting report. I guess the high humidity, while not super-comfy, is not a huge drawback. Like, in eastern US summer, there's enough humidity so that one gets pretty sweaty anyway. Personally, I think the heat index exaggerates things sometimes; perhaps more importantly it doesn't account for sun. Maybe Guyana/Suriname gets cloudy in the afternoon, that would help. Good to hear the bugs weren't a big problem. Seeing the rocket launch must have been fun. Speaking of humidity, the Saturn V's Vehicle Assembly Building was so big it would actually rain inside sometimes.
Old 08-14-19, 09:54 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

CGOAB journal describing our trip: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/g...own2paramaribo
Old 08-19-19, 08:10 PM
DropBarFan

Nice journal, things look pretty decent though the Springlands Immigration building could use a coat of paint. Austin TX has 99° F this week, DC was 98° today, matching the record. Kinda weird but tropic zone can have nicer weather in summer.
Old 08-20-19, 06:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
1. Yes it was hot & humid. Overnight temperatures around 75F with nearly 100% humidity. Daytime highs around 90F plus or minus a degree or two. I would start sweating even starting out, but it often wasn't too bad until 10am or so - and hence we tried to do much of our cycling before then. Longest gap between lodging was 104km and that day I cheated at 54km to get a ride (wunderground told us 92F and heat index of 109F after arrival).
Sounds like your trip was a bit warmer by a few degrees than the trip I did in February of 2017 in southern Florida. Dewpoints were upper 60s to lower 70s the whole time we were there. We started at Marco Island, rode East through Big Cyprus, then in a semi-urban area we rode south and went into the Florida Everglades, then back out of the Everglades and followed the Florida Keys to Key West. Took the ferry back to Marco Island where our vehicle was parked. For us, the bugs were horrendous in Big Cyprus and the Everglades, but not bad in the Keys. We camped, almost never were in air conditioning.
Old 08-20-19, 12:21 PM
KraneXL

The last thing you ever want to do is visit the Florida everglades in the summer. I did once as a child and to this day am still traumatized. Everything I hear or see the word, I have flashbacks of being ravaged by mosquitoes. They will attack your ears, your nose, your face and any unexposed area they can find.

Needless to say they can saw through virtually any single layer of fabric (and some dual layers) If you're wearing anything thick enough to prevent it, you'd likely dehydrate from the heat and pass out anyway. No thanks.
Old 08-20-19, 08:46 PM
DropBarFan

The last thing you ever want to do is visit the Florida everglades in the summer. I did once as a child and to this day am still traumatized. Everything I hear or see the word, I have flashbacks of being ravaged by mosquitoes. They will attack your ears, your nose, your face and any unexposed area they can find.

Needless to say they can saw through virtually any single layer of fabric (and some dual layers) If you're wearing anything thick enough to prevent it, you'd likely dehydrate from the heat and pass out anyway. No thanks.
Once thought about riding into the Everglades but was worried about mosquitoes & thought the terrain might be a bit boring so I rode up the A1A along the Atlantic coast instead. Good to hear I made the right choice, heh. BTW I saw this guy on TV who had like 30 ball-bearing things pierced on his ear, I swear it looked like he was being bitten by a bunch of shiny little bugs.
Old 08-20-19, 09:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The last thing you ever want to do is visit the Florida everglades in the summer. ....
That is why I was there in February.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Once thought about riding into the Everglades but was worried about mosquitoes & thought the terrain might be a bit boring so I rode up the A1A along the Atlantic coast instead. Good to hear I made the right choice, heh. BTW I saw this guy on TV who had like 30 ball-bearing things pierced on his ear, I swear it looked like he was being bitten by a bunch of shiny little bugs.
I had wanted to go to the Everglades for decades, still happy I went there to see the sights. I would post a few photos, but I do not want to hijack the thread.
Old 08-22-19, 09:25 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
I am alive, life on a island with very high humidity, since 30 years.,.
Old 08-22-19, 11:18 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by str
I am alive, life on a island with very high humidity, since 30 years.,.
Well of course you're alive. High humidity never killed anyone. The question is, are you comfortable?

I can recall times sans A/C when I lived in the deep south where I needed to place a stack of bath towels next to my bed just to make it through the night without sweat soaking into my mattress. Not good. It was too hot to sleep.