Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need to diagnose problem

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need to diagnose problem

Old 08-31-19, 09:25 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
One way to check that - jam little squares of card in the crossings.
Old 09-01-19, 05:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Here’s an update. I followed most of your suggestions. Tightened the cleats, lubed and tightened the pedals, chainrings and other driveline components. Made sure the FD cable was out of the way. Checked the seatpost and more.

Problem is is still there. It doesn’t show until after about 10 miles but it’s still there. It’s more prominent under heavier load and relatedly up hills. The sound is between a creak and a click and is worse as the load increases like in the big ring, 13 tooth sprocket. Any more thoughts?
Did you try 1-legged cycling?
Does the click occur at the same point in the clock relative to the pedal positions, and if it is, does it change if you change gears ? Or is it completely random when the noise occurs?

To fully eliminate pedal/cleat possibility, you could swap in some platform pedals and see what happens.
Old 09-01-19, 07:01 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Did you try 1-legged cycling?
Does the click occur at the same point in the clock relative to the pedal positions, and if it is, does it change if you change gears ? Or is it completely random when the noise occurs?

To fully eliminate pedal/cleat possibility, you could swap in some platform pedals and see what happens.
Since it happens under heavier loads there’s no way I can do one legged riding.

I can’t imagine it’s the pedals or cleats. I used the same combination for 500 miles before this issue started.
Old 09-01-19, 03:07 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Well, YMMV, but recently I was convinced that I had BB creaking and it turned out to be in the stem. Yeah, under heavy load you may be leaning on the bars more, and the front end becomes suspect.

When I took the bike into the LBS, the mechanic said, "everybody always thinks its the BB, but it could be anywhere."

And that's the point, it can *sound* like it's coming from the cranks or BB, but it could be anywhere.

Unless you are really good, I suggest a trip to the LBS.
Old 09-01-19, 04:59 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I try all sorts of stuff to reproduce the sound off the bike, then you have a chance of narrowing it down.
Old 09-02-19, 12:33 AM
cecu

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
If it’s a faint ticking noise, check that the ends of your shoelaces aren’t slapping the crank. I had that happen once.
LOL, had this happen this morning, it was driving me nuts, until I realised that a shoe lace kept hitting the crank.
Likes For cecu:
Old 09-02-19, 05:26 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tighten up the rear skewer.
Old 09-02-19, 02:21 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Tighten up the rear skewer.
You sir or madam are in my debt. If you are in SE Michigan I owe you a beer or 2. There are others with the same suggestion if I recall. Thanks to you all.

I feel foolish, dismissing these suggestions, but it finally clicked. Loose skewer, flexy rear triangle, especially under load. Duh! Just came back from a ride and the angels sang once again.
Old 09-02-19, 02:49 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
You sir or madam are in my debt. If you are in SE Michigan I owe you a beer or 2. There are others with the same suggestion if I recall. Thanks to you all.

I feel foolish, dismissing these suggestions, but it finally clicked. Loose skewer, flexy rear triangle, especially under load. Duh! Just came back from a ride and the angels sang once again.
It's not madam and you don't owe me anything. I've been there before. I've even switched out press in BB bearings when all I had to do was tighten that rear skewer. Lot's of force happening around that part of the bike.

Glad I could help, enjoy the quiet.
Old 09-02-19, 03:03 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
In the vintage steel frame days you would've torqued the wheel into the chainstay.

I may know that from experience..... Or not..