Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

L hand grip slipping on BMX / trick bike. Duct tape fail.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-12-19, 03:38 PM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Hello - I got my son a BMX bike. With those straight pipe handle bars. We put new grips on it. The left is very secure, but the right slides around really easily. I tried putting a wrap of duct tape under it - made it a little better but did not solve problem. Second wrap: duct tape just got bunched up and made bulge.

Obviously I am not very good at this BMX stuff. What can I try? Maybe getting old bike tire tube rubber in there?
Old 09-12-19, 04:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Hairspray will act as light glue. Remove the duct tape.
Old 09-12-19, 04:47 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Remove the duct tape, clean the bar and the grip with min spirits to ensure that there's no oil or dirt residue on the bars, then reapply the grip. If the grip has embedded duct tape residue or dirt, you could try goo-gone to remove the adhesive, then min spirits to clean it up.

Never heard of the hairspray deal. May be a revelation and work great - but it won't if there's any oil, dirt, or adhesive residue left on the bar.

They use min spirits to apply golf grips. Get the grip and the bar wet, slide the grip on, position it, and let the min spirits dry. Works without adhesive.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 09-12-19, 06:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Probably not so many homes have hairspray around anymore
Old 09-13-19, 03:46 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hairspray will act as light glue. Remove the duct tape.
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Remove the duct tape, clean the bar and the grip with min spirits to ensure that there's no oil or dirt residue on the bars, then reapply the grip. If the grip has embedded duct tape residue or dirt, you could try goo-gone to remove the adhesive, then min spirits to clean it up.

Never heard of the hairspray deal. May be a revelation and work great - but it won't if there's any oil, dirt, or adhesive residue left on the bar.

They use min spirits to apply golf grips. Get the grip and the bar wet, slide the grip on, position it, and let the min spirits dry. Works without adhesive.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sounds like a good plan. Probably not so many homes have hairspray around anymore
We pull off and reuse grip frequently

I keep a can of hair spray with us on all our road repair trips and there is another in the shop.

Use hair pray that contains alcohol and clean the bar and the inside of the grips first. The hair spray will act like a lubricant first and then a mild glue when it dries. Spray the inside of the grip and the HB end.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-13-19 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 03:50 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

I have this problem on one particular bike, one grip the other one is fine. I've popped it off quite a few times already to try and solve the issue, it's a brown leather type grip with a plastic insert that slides on the bar. Even cleaned both surfaces with actone. Might scuff both surfaces next time with sandpaper.
Old 09-13-19, 05:26 AM
PJay120

will do!

I will follow these ideas! I have thought about scuffing handlebar. I think it is steel, so I worry about rust if I scuff through paint enough.
I think we have hairspray with alcohol. BTW - another hair spray use: my wife had a couple books and flyers coming home from work. She got caught in a little rain as she entered car. One flyer was magenta paper. The flyer got wet. Not very wet but it did get wet. She set books and flyers down on passenger seat, of leather.

When she brought stuff in, she saw: magenta flyer color had gotten onto buff / tan colored leather. I freaked out. really ugly. An 8x12 faint magenta rectangle on buff leather seat, right in the middle.

I scoured the bowels of the internet, and saw "hairspray" as a solution. It worked! Gone!

Oh, and anyone else with advise - please chime in!
Old 09-13-19, 07:42 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Originally Posted by PJay120
I will follow these ideas! I have thought about scuffing handlebar. I think it is steel, so I worry about rust if I scuff through paint enough.
They don't rust underneath the grips, no air gets in there. I was thinking of just dulling the surface to give it a bond, not rubbing through the paint anyway.
Old 09-13-19, 07:55 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

I was thinking about my more limited experiences in grip application (lots of experience 40 years ago and more recently I put Ergons on my wife's bike, but they don't come off). I would say that sometimes you get plastics with a lot of plasticizer leaking out. So, while I would wash the grips with very strong detergent, and rinse really well, Joe TBM's more considerable experience supports the use of hairspray. Do that.

Joe, do you have a favorite brand that's optimally sticky?
Old 09-13-19, 09:40 AM
PJay120

I was thinking about my more limited experiences in grip application (lots of experience 40 years ago and more recently I put Ergons on my wife's bike, but they don't come off). I would say that sometimes you get plastics with a lot of plasticizer leaking out. So, while I would wash the grips with very strong detergent, and rinse really well, Joe TBM's more considerable experience supports the use of hairspray. Do that.

Joe's answer: whatever these guys are using..

Likes For PJay120:
Old 09-13-19, 09:41 AM
PJay120

thick, slick paint -

Originally Posted by le mans
They don't rust underneath the grips, no air gets in there. I was thinking of just dulling the surface to give it a bond, not rubbing through the paint anyway.
i will start with 0000 and work up. This paint is pretty thick and slick and glossy.
Old 09-13-19, 09:48 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

I would not scuff anything painted or anodized or plated.
Old 09-13-19, 09:50 AM
le mans
Steel is real

I would not scuff anything painted or anodized or plated.
Danged if i'm going to buy hairspray
Old 09-13-19, 10:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Started using Aqua-Net hairspray on motorcycle grips in the early 80s. Now, my mountain bike grips are lock-on with a set screw on each end.

https://www.jensonusa.com/ODI-Ruffia...iABEgLtYPD_BwE

Last edited by big john; 09-13-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 03:10 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts

Not really, I use a generic beauty shop supply brand in "Firm Hold"

We go through a lot of grips because we take in so many used bikes, that is why we like the large 11 OZ cans, Your local drug store or Walmart will have a smaller travel size that will fit into anyone's tool box. https://www.walmart.com/ip/John-Frie...-2-oz/10422877

We have one large HD tote when we set up our portable shop that just holds, oils, cleaners, grease, Blue shop towels, etc., the hairspray is kept in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KIMG0744.jpg (426.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
KIMG0746.jpg (446.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-14-19 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added link of travel size HS cans
Old 09-15-19, 12:02 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...if it's a kid's BMX bike, and you want the grip to stay where you put it, use a contact cement between the bar and the grip. It does mean that whenever you want to remove the grip, you'll need to cut it off. But BMX grips get so beat up and most of them are so cheap that this is not a significant disadvantage.

Hair spray does work most of the time, at least on grips that don't get used quite as aggressively as a boy's BMX bike.

Don't follow the instructions for the contact cement by waiting until it's surface dry, or you'll never get the grip to slide all the way on. Clean the bar end with acetone and a rag to get off all the duct tape glue and other junk that's on there now, then apply the contact cement and immediately slide the grip on all the way.

Contact cement comes in liquid and spray forms...either will work. Let it dry overnight.