Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Keep your head up

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Keep your head up

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 09:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I must be missing something. Wouldn't they look once they've come to a stop?
Of course they would. And do. But the key point is that the first line (if there is one) delineates the pedestrian crosswalk which is (usually) not a motorists first priority. Nearly all will stop at the stop sign (first line), however, if pedestrians are spotted. If, being the operative word. In most areas of this country, even in fair sized metro centers, pedestrian traffic is low. Stopping for pedestrians is a sometimes thing. Well past the stop sign, at the precipice of the intersection itself is where things get interesting for most drivers and that is where they are going to apply their powers of observation. And they do! Do not be misled by all the blather. If the vast majority of motorists (and cyclists!!!!!!) did not ever check for cross traffic before entering active intersections there would literally be hundreds of thousands of fatal accidents per year instead of the several 10,000's of such accidents. "oh s/he just blew through the intersection without looking!!!". Seriously? That only works in action movies. Blast through an active intersection against your light and you WILL be hit. No one does that except very rarely and when they do ... BLAM! That cyclist that just sailed through the standing red light CHECKED that there was no cross traffic. It does not look like it to an observer but the observer being well aware of the absolute impossibility of themselves doing such a thing should know better than to think that anyone else can do so.
Old 10-02-19, 10:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Another reason to incorporate bike lessons and on-road bike experience as a requirement for a driver's licence.
"Are most avid/experienced cyclists knowledgeable of laws, safety practices?"

If one is over 16, then it is likely one holds a drivers license. So according to the authorities, that person is aware of traffic laws.

However, as we see on a daily basis, being aware of the law and practicing within the law are different.Bicyclists and motorists are not that much different from each other except that when violating the law, one puts himself in danger while the other puts everybody else in danger.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
When YOU are the Motorist”

As a motorist, and I do drive on a few occasions, I do take extra precautions to not be involved in any collisions.…

As for cyclists, I am extra mindful of them, giving them plenty of space when passing.
Cycling indeed is good training for driving. I am attuned to look out for fast-moving seemingly evanescent hazards such as we are.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When YOU are the Motorist”

As a cyclist, I always look particularly hard for cyclists, making me a more cautious driver than usual, especially in Boston….

My worst transgression(s) have been since a bike lane was positioned in front of our condo, outside the parking lane. At the beginninng I was lax to look for oncoming cyclists, but no incidents.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-02-19 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 09:21 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yes. That's the issue. They don't scan before the stop, they roll up looking straight ahead, and only then do they scan. It's poor situational awareness.
If I remind drivers that the five points of driving we all learned in driving school, #2 and #3 are to get the big picture and to keep you eyes moving, I'd receive a lot of dislikes and downvotes.
Old 10-03-19, 12:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
If I remind drivers that the five points of driving we all learned in driving school, #2 and #3 are to get the big picture and to keep you eyes moving, I'd receive a lot of dislikes and downvotes.
I suspect that if anyone with an attitude of antagonism toward motorists displayed on BF by the zealots with an anti-motorist ideological bent were to gratuitously "remind" drivers of anything related to driving, no matter what it was, would receive more than a lot of dislikes and downvotes.
Old 10-03-19, 02:08 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Of course they would. And do. But the key point is that the first line (if there is one) delineates the pedestrian crosswalk which is (usually) not a motorists first priority.
Well, it is this motorist's first priority. Stop at the line and move forward when, based on this motorist's observations, it's safe, for all, to do so. Don't over think this, and yes, I encounter some drivers who don't and they p!ss me off.