Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub logo not lining up with valve hole.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub logo not lining up with valve hole.

Old 10-02-19, 07:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
There's a separate and equally valid practice of placing the stem in the middle of the inflation information for easy reference...
I've been doing this for a while. It makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-03-19, 11:01 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
We will not judge you poorly if the hole and makers mark are not aligned perfectly or at all. We will judge you poorly if the wheel is built poorly!
Old 10-03-19, 06:16 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Lining up the logo with the valve hole is something that buyers have come to expect as attention to detail, so, as a builder for a branded line, I accept that it's a detail I can't overlook.

That said, there are times when perfect alignment is simply not possible. Case in point, the production run I worked on today.

Straight pull spokes, which the majority of the builds I do these days are, with the spoke direction dictated by which side of the post is countersunk for the head means you can't just shift the spoke over one hole as you could with J bend spokes.

I still put the logo in the closest proximity as possible to the hole, and it can be seen through the hole, it's just not perfectly aligned.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-03-19 at 06:24 PM.