Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice for knee pain while climbing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 12:26 PM
Ann C

Bikes: KHS Tandemania Alite, Schwinn 754

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am having problems with knee pain associated with climbing... I don't have large hills to climb, but rides of 20 miles or more seem to often cause knee pain in the back, inside of my knee, usually the left leg. I think that I have ruled out the ligament, and I think that it is in one of the smaller muscles in that area. Sometimes I can go on the ride with no problems at all, then when I lift my leg to get out of the shower, the pain suddenly starts. Then, the pain is anytime I lift my leg, making me think that it is in association with climbing. Most of my rides are with a "train;" my 7 year old with me on a tandem, pulling a Piccolo with my 5 year old, pulling a trailer with my 3 year old. When I wear a brace, I am able to ride for a longer time without pain. My seat is raised to the point where my knee is slightly bent when it is straight down; and by what I have read, that is the correct height adjustment. Lately I have been made aware that cleat positioning can cause a problem. I have cleats that I think might be 1/2 a size too big. When I got them, I was using cages on the pedals, then I switched to the clips. How do you determine cleat positioning? If anyone has ideas of what might be the cause of the pain, and what strengthening exercises I can do, and what stretches would be good for this type of problem, I would be grateful! Oh yes, while this has been a left knee problem, last year on the first day of the MS 150 (two day, 150 mile bike ride to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis) my left knee did fine ~ I was wearing a brace ~ but my right knee started to hurt. The pain was also in the back, on the inside of the knee; the same area of pain as the left knee. I switched the brace to the right knee for the return trip and was able to do fine, and the left knee really didn't give me much of a problem. Any advice would be great; thanks!
Old 03-09-08, 12:48 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Forums such as this one have lots of info to share. However,
Medical Diagnosis is not one of the topics covered properly.

THE best advice is to see your doctor for correct counsel before
you really damage your knees. "Jailhouse counsel" here means well
but often does more harm that good.

See your doctor ASAP!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 03-09-08, 02:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Shorter cranks REALLY helped out for my bad knees.
Old 03-10-08, 09:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
A good professional bike fitter has value because of the vast amount of experience over the years. And not because they're physicians. Some pro bike fitters have been trained in other disciplines as well. Try posting on the training and nutrition section.
Old 03-10-08, 11:16 AM
Ann C

Bikes: KHS Tandemania Alite, Schwinn 754

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking about going to a physical therapist who treats sports injuries. I think that I have to go through a doctor first anyway to get there. I have also been thinking of taking my bikes to someone who can check them out. A doctor will know if I have a medical problem; however, the problem always seems that they don't know what is wrong because I do not have a chronic condition. They also won't know about biking positions of cleats, pedals, etc. unless they are bikers themselves, so I think that I need a combination of several people to help figure out everything.
Old 03-10-08, 05:13 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting the same kind of pain in each knee after strenuous or long rides sounds like a fit/alignment issue. Especially since a knee brace helps - it tends to keep things aligned better.
Old 03-11-08, 11:09 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ann C
Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking about going to a physical therapist who treats sports injuries. I think that I have to go through a doctor first anyway to get there. I have also been thinking of taking my bikes to someone who can check them out. A doctor will know if I have a medical problem; however, the problem always seems that they don't know what is wrong because I do not have a chronic condition. They also won't know about biking positions of cleats, pedals, etc. unless they are bikers themselves, so I think that I need a combination of several people to help figure out everything.
Well, OK. However, get a "clean bill of health" before you even try to use the "jailhouse" advice
you get here on fitting the bike to you. That's the smart thing to do.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 03-14-08, 02:37 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knee pain