Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice please on single speed bike for a tween that performs better than pure fix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice please on single speed bike for a tween that performs better than pure fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 01:22 PM
fire fin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi newbie here, i have a 12 year old daughter 5'5" and she uses her bike daily for getting everywhere(sports, social, school), she says she "hates" her cruiser style bike(electra) and wants a pure fix style look with wheels that look colored and a single gear, not cruiser handle bars, she wants something faster so she can keep up with friends bikes, i don't want something so fast that it is dangerous, i want brakes on the bike not a fixie, we will spend what it takes to get a well functioning long lasting bike, we are hoping to keep under $500 as we are tight on cash, if suggestions are craigslist could you suggest model and make of bike you think would work also. I have read forum and it sounds like pure fix is pure poop so looking for pure fix look but not pure poop performance. I can learn quickly, youtube etc. but do not have bike mechanical experience. Thanks a million
Old 10-27-15, 01:31 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a couple options.

Bikes - Linus Bike
Our Bicycle Collection ? Brilliant Bicycle Co.
Old 10-27-15, 01:45 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
"I want brakes on the bike not a fixie''.

what differentiates a single speed from a fixie is not the brakes. It is the presence or absence of a freewheel. You can have a fixie with one or even two brakes, or no brakes. You can have a single speed (with a freewheel) with one or two brakes but it would be crazy to have one with no brakes. The freewheel makes the difference. The safest bet is a single speed with a freewheel and two brakes. I can see that you are concerned about safety. By the way it is not a fixed gear or a freewheel that makes a bike "fast". It is the rider. The rolling resistance of the tires has an influence as does the gear ratio. Having said that there is a balance between rider fitness and gearing. Too high a gear will slow her down because she may have difficulty turning over the cranks and tiring if the ratio is too high for her. Now, i know that some of her friends will have a "fixed" gear (no freewheel) and may imply that that is the ultimate in performance. There is another issue and that is that the margin for error on a fixed gear is narrow. It can be dangerous for inexperienced riders especially in a panic stop situation or a steep downhill where it is easy to lose control since a tremendous amount of energy is stored in those whirling pedals when there is no freewheel and stopping safely becomes difficult.

I can't recommend a specific brand. That is really secondary to the safety issues and there are many choices of brand. Others will have specifics.
Old 10-27-15, 02:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
In before the SSFG people get here:

Kilo TT

Save Up to 60% Off Mercier Fixie Singlespeed Track Bikes - Kilo TT PRO
Old 10-27-15, 02:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I just don't understand the obsession with buying a one-speed bike. It is so 1950s! A long time ago when I started serious biking a few of my friends had track bikes. No brakes, no freewheel, extremely light. They were avid cyclists who also owned road bikes. They would ride the track bikes around relatively flat town (which I thought was insane) but use the geared road bikes for club rides. I'd bet your daughter never learned how to use the gears on here Electra properly or she would understand how much easier it is to ride a bike with them. It is not unusual for kids to be clueless about choosing the right gear for a comfortable cadence and changing gears as needed. The Electra is also a moderately heavy bike (saw 35 pounds for a Townie) bike so getting rid of most of the drive train will lighten a bike. It's a trade off I wouldn't make.
Old 10-27-15, 02:35 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I just don't understand the obsession with buying a one-speed bike.
It's "cool." As we grow older, we forget that sometimes, certain things are simply cool, for no apparent reason.
Old 10-27-15, 03:55 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
It's "cool." As we grow older, we forget that sometimes, certain things are simply cool, for no apparent reason.
I'm 40, and I just built a single speed. It's a riot to ride - so simple, so quiet, so smooth. Not for real long rides, but great for tooling around.

Sadly, I don't have much advice for the OP, as I didn't buy the bike. But I'd look for a "flip-flop" hub which will allow your daughter to ride either "fixed" or "free", and look for one that has hand brakes so you'll be more comfortable with your daughter tearing up the streets. Your local bike shop might be able to help, as several main stream brands have an entry into the SSFG (Single Speed and Fixed Gear) market, although they might be on the expensive side.

You might also enjoy going over to the fixed gear and single speed sub-forum and have a look around.
Old 10-27-15, 11:39 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I just don't understand the obsession with buying a one-speed bike. It is so 1950s! A long time ago when I started serious biking a few of my friends had track bikes. No brakes, no freewheel, extremely light. They were avid cyclists who also owned road bikes. They would ride the track bikes around relatively flat town (which I thought was insane) but use the geared road bikes for club rides. I'd bet your daughter never learned how to use the gears on here Electra properly or she would understand how much easier it is to ride a bike with them. It is not unusual for kids to be clueless about choosing the right gear for a comfortable cadence and changing gears as needed. The Electra is also a moderately heavy bike (saw 35 pounds for a Townie) bike so getting rid of most of the drive train will lighten a bike. It's a trade off I wouldn't make.
So 1950's?

Aluminum frame, carbon fork/seatpost/cranks and lightweight wheels. The bike is a fixed gear with a front brake. Total bike weighs 16 lbs, 15 oz after swapping the saddle and stem out. It is an absolute riot to ride and I have a blast tearing up the streets on it.

Old 10-28-15, 05:14 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
KHS,Fuji, Masi, Fyxation, State, all have offerings in your price range.
Just stay away from any bike frame made from Hi-tens steel...its ridiculously heavy.
Old 10-28-15, 05:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Try BikeIsland and look for returns/scratched bikes by size. You'll be surprised what's available. Get one with a flip-flop rear hub, so that she can decide whether or not to ride fixed. You may find that she's a little beast and likes the fixed riding. She'll become a much better rider than her peers before long.
Old 10-28-15, 06:57 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Is your city relatively flat? SS sounds cool and fun until you have to go up a slope. As someone above mentioned, does she know how to use the gears of her current bike? This could be a factor.

I used to have a steel step through bike which was really heavy, and only had 6 speeds, then I switched to an aluminum hardtail MTB and even that is lighter so it allows me to ride faster. I think she'll notice a big difference with a nice aluminum frame and skinnier wheels, even with the 'added' weight of brakes and extra gears.
Old 10-28-15, 07:39 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
especially for a 12 year old. She's on the threshold of being a bona fide teenager. Coolness is not an option, it is the mandatory entry key to all the best social activities.
but it is regional, at least where bikes are concerned. I was really surprised when visiting my son in his Long Island South Shore community that brightly colored cruisers were all the rage. The sidewalks were loaded with them, and it was all teenage girls who were riding them.
Old 10-28-15, 07:50 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
#Kilo TT
Old 10-28-15, 08:07 AM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilo TT is a dad's bike (white frame with black tires, come on!!)

Plenty of cheap single speeds where you can pick and mix colors. Don't spend much money as what is hip is sure to be different a year down the road.

republic_gallery_aristotle_04.jpg
Attached Images