Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Giro options for USA viewers?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts

Started NBC Gold just after the 2017 TDF and assumed I'd be getting all the Grand Tours. Just found out a few days ago how naive that thinking was.

I have found that Fubo.tv covers it and maybe that is somewhat attractive as they claim you can cancel anytime. Though one normal month is more than NBC Gold was for the July 2017 to end of June 2018 period they base their subscription on. Might be more this next term that is coming up. I don't think they've published their price for next season, but maybe I should have checked before making this statement.

Besides Fubo.tv does anyone know of other options to see the coverage whether live video or replay in the USA?

Where U.S. fans can watch pro cycling in 2018 | VeloNews.com
Old 04-05-18, 04:46 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
In 2016 I watched the Giro on BeIN but that wasn't an option in 2017 so I watched it on YouTube. It was usually from Eurosport, I believe, and most days there was an hour (maybe more) covered. I guess technically YouTube isn't supposed to air these races (that's what my wife says) but they do.
I also watched this year's Tour of the Algarve, Tour of Andalucia, Tirenno - Adriatico, and some of the Italian and Belgian one day races.
Occasionally you won't be able to view from an English language channel but I'll take what I can get.
I've also been looking into Fubo and might do the 7 day free trial for the Tour de Romandie later this month.
Old 04-05-18, 07:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm thinking that Fubo.tv might be the best way to go too. I haven't been back to look at the more intimate details of Fubo. I wonder if its live streaming only or if they have replays too. And if they do have replays, how long do they hold. As well need to assure myself the "cancel anytime" policy has any fine print conditions that have to be met before it can really be canceled.

Seems like when I was over there I saw something about being able to try it out and watch the 2017 Giro. But that may have been an out of date page as I went there through an older Velonews link than what I posted.
Old 04-06-18, 04:31 AM
Pemetic2006

The Fubo site says you can watch "on demand".
Old 04-06-18, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
The Fubo site says you can watch "on demand".
Great.... if I would quit spending so much time over here at BF, maybe I'd have time to go to their site and read for myself. Might even be able to go riding too!
Old 04-10-18, 03:42 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did fubo on a discount code last year- warning- you can only do 3 recordings, so if you don't have time to watch every day or 2 you will run into issues... otherwise it worked.. and I did cancel after the one month.. not sure what I'll do this year- we're travelling during part of the race...
Old 04-13-18, 06:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Here is another option for viewing the Giro in the USA and Canada too.

FloBikes to offer less-expensive broadcast of Giro, other events | VeloNews.com

https://www.flobikes.com/signup?utm_..._content=house

Though the second link is to the sign up page for flobikes, you don't have to sign-up. It is the only page I found on their site that gives any of the initial information someone would want to know. Like a lot of other sites, they don't tell you a lot. Not sure why that is.
Old 04-14-18, 06:02 AM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by Iride01
Here is another option for viewing the Giro in the USA and Canada too.

FloBikes to offer less-expensive broadcast of Giro, other events | VeloNews.com

https://www.flobikes.com/signup?utm_..._content=house

Though the second link is to the sign up page for flobikes, you don't have to sign-up. It is the only page I found on their site that gives any of the initial information someone would want to know. Like a lot of other sites, they don't tell you a lot. Not sure why that is.
Is it possible to watch from a smart TV and is it available on demand (I can't watch most of these races live)?
Old 04-14-18, 02:39 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Is it possible to watch from a smart TV and is it available on demand (I can't watch most of these races live)?
FAQ - FloSports

Here it says most events are archived so you can watch later.
Old 04-15-18, 05:28 AM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by OBoile
FAQ - FloSports

Here it says most events are archived so you can watch later.
Thank you.
Old 04-17-18, 02:06 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
side topic: I have watched almost all of the spring races on either youtube, tiz-cycling, steephill or some other stream. We have 2 Samsung smart TV's and they have a very hard time picking up and streaming the feed. Now I have a new Dell laptop that picks up and doesn't drop the feed at all. I almost always resort to watching on my Laptop. So the question is: Does the computer work differently the the smart TV for streaming this feed? Maybe a better processor or something? I am just wandering as I thought either device would be able to stream the same. Kind of dissapointed in my smart tv's for this reason...
Old 04-21-18, 08:34 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
side topic: I have watched almost all of the spring races on either youtube, tiz-cycling, steephill or some other stream. We have 2 Samsung smart TV's and they have a very hard time picking up and streaming the feed. Now I have a new Dell laptop that picks up and doesn't drop the feed at all. I almost always resort to watching on my Laptop. So the question is: Does the computer work differently the the smart TV for streaming this feed? Maybe a better processor or something? I am just wandering as I thought either device would be able to stream the same. Kind of dissapointed in my smart tv's for this reason...
Could be either better wireless card and antenna and/or more powerful computing solution overall. I have similar problem with my Kindle compared to my desktop using a wireless connection.

You could always hook your laptop up to your TV with an HDMI cable and get a wireless mouse.
Old 04-21-18, 01:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I don't have any smart tv's. However I'd think like the fireTV box I use with my tv for getting streamed content it depends on the App and how well it handles tv, firetv, roku, etc that you are using it with.

Streaming to your laptop or other personal computer has been going on for a lot longer than we've had smart TV's, so they have things on that end worked out pretty well.

It'll take awhile before programmers become aware of all the quirks that make some issues for Smart TV streaming apps.
Old 04-28-18, 08:33 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I was looking for a better answer but after agonizing for days over it I signed up for the yearly $150.00. It only hurt for a couple minutes. I was debating on the monthly but with the savings I went for the year subscription. I'm in the garage working on a vintage bike and watching the Tour of Romandie live!

Semi satisfied
Old 04-28-18, 11:59 AM
Pemetic2006

We just got Fubo for the Tour de Romandie and so far we like it. We'll be keeping it through the Giro and then perhaps drop it as most of the rest of the season is on NBCSN. Neither have the Vuelta so I'll try to catch that on YouTube.
Old 04-28-18, 08:37 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deephate
I was looking for a better answer but after agonizing for days over it I signed up for the yearly $150.00. It only hurt for a couple minutes. I was debating on the monthly but with the savings I went for the year subscription. I'm in the garage working on a vintage bike and watching the Tour of Romandie live!

Semi satisfied
The tour of Romandie, stage 4 was fun to watch on the last climb. Too bad for me the race starts here at 11:00 pm and I feel asleep.
Old 04-30-18, 09:08 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
We just got Fubo for the Tour de Romandie and so far we like it. We'll be keeping it through the Giro and then perhaps drop it as most of the rest of the season is on NBCSN. Neither have the Vuelta so I'll try to catch that on YouTube.
I am pretty sure the Vuelta is on NBC Sports Gold
Old 04-30-18, 11:35 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Can someone tell what the streaming is like on FloSport or Fubo? Is it Eurosports' commentary, national station broadcast (i.e. would the Giro be in Italian) or is it just raw footage? Likewise is NBCSN Gold the same as the NBCSN broadcast or is it just raw footage without commentary? Sorry if this is a "duh" question.
Old 04-30-18, 12:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bikecrate
Likewise is NBCSN Gold the same as the NBCSN broadcast or is it just raw footage without commentary? Sorry if this is a "duh" question.
As far as NBC Gold to NBCSN..... usually its [NBC Gold] pretty much the same footage but usually only one commentator sometimes two... english speeking. Depends on the race. Sometimes sound quality is poor. I think they have a very minimal crew if any for the small races. Maybe the announcer has to do it all himself.

I think it's Andy Schleck commenting most of the time for sports gold's smaller or less popular races isn't it?. Sometimes Phil or Paul on the bigger well known races.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-30-18 at 05:24 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-30-18, 04:51 PM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by deephate
I am pretty sure the Vuelta is on NBC Sports Gold
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into that.
Old 04-30-18, 04:56 PM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by bikecrate
Can someone tell what the streaming is like on FloSport or Fubo? Is it Eurosports' commentary, national station broadcast (i.e. would the Giro be in Italian) or is it just raw footage? Likewise is NBCSN Gold the same as the NBCSN broadcast or is it just raw footage without commentary? Sorry if this is a "duh" question.
Fubo is in English. It's the Eurosport feed so the usual British and Irish/Scottish announcers.
My wife and I have had it only for the Romandie, so far, but so far so good. Recorded with no issues and watching it presented no issues.
Looking forward to the Giro.
Old 05-01-18, 08:03 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts

Fubo is in English. It's the Eurosport feed so the usual British and Irish/Scottish announcers.
My wife and I have had it only for the Romandie, so far, but so far so good. Recorded with no issues and watching it presented no issues.
Looking forward to the Giro.
Thanks for the responses. I'm probably going to kick cable to the curb next month and try to weigh my options.

A friend told me that he heard on the radio that Eurosports is going to expand its streaming cycling content. I hope that means some relief for us. However, I have not been able to confirm it.
Old 05-15-18, 03:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
cyclingtorrents.nl
After someone uploads, I end up watching about a day later.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-17-18, 03:06 PM
JSCjr

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc; 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
cyclingtorrents.nl
Great, if you can find an invite somewhere -- that is proving nearly impossible. I'd mostly like to join for access to historical footage.

I signed up for a year of Flobikes just prior to the Giro and am largely satisfied. Quality and reliability of the stream has been very good (although there have been a few issues with the originating provider, like losing the feed entirely for the finish of Stage 9); only complaint is that the organization of videos on their mobile app is chaotic and makes it hard to find the full replay of the day's stage.
Old 05-17-18, 06:24 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by JSCjr
Great, if you can find an invite somewhere -- that is proving nearly impossible. I'd mostly like to join for access to historical footage.

I signed up for a year of Flobikes just prior to the Giro and am largely satisfied. Quality and reliability of the stream has been very good (although there have been a few issues with the originating provider, like losing the feed entirely for the finish of Stage 9); only complaint is that the organization of videos on their mobile app is chaotic and makes it hard to find the full replay of the day's stage.
Invite ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.