Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike for chest surgery?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike for chest surgery?

Old 01-24-19, 10:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Trike for chest surgery?

I'm going to have a heart surgery in about a month. Two months after that I'm going back to work, and I bike commute, but I can't ride a regular bike for six to twelve months. Aside from healing and loss of strength in the upper body, there's a risk of re-injuring the sternum in a crash. So I'm looking at trikes. I'm definitely shopping used, as I don't want to pay 50% depreciation on up to $2000 retail for trike I'm going to ride for a year or less. I don't think I'm going to be a permanent recumbent customer. If I am, I'd probably try a 2-wheel or upgrade later.

Whether this is a good idea is something I'm negotiating with my doctors and my wife. What I'm really here to ask is, how hard is it to get in and out of a trike, and how hard is the steering effort? I'm not planning to ride until 2 months post surgery when the "no more than 10 lbm" restriction expires. But using my upper body is likely to be painful. I'm thinking of a Terra Trike Rover or Rambler, as they look more like a chair than a recliner, and I think that's going to be important.

Any other thoughts on the situation? Aside from the heart problem I'm normal sized overweight at 199.99 lb, 5ft9, 41yo lifetime cyclist.

Edit after surgery:
I bought a Terra Trike Rambler GT used just before my surgery on February 26. I returned to work April 15. I've been part time commuting on the trike, maybe 75 miles so far. Maybe 100 total with recreational rides.

On the topic of the open heart surgery and sternotomy, the results have been mixed. It's 100% successful at getting the weight off the upper body and the steering inputs are well within bounds. With only the weight of the arms on the handlebars, bumps from the front wheels are no problem. It was easy to sit in, no worse than a chair. The gear range is sufficient for me even with the heart problems. However, what I did not anticipate is that the seat stays transfer road shocks from the rear directly into the shoulder blades, and with the body loaded onto the seat, it's not really providing its own suspension like it does on a DF. And from using a jogging stroller I should have anticipated it would be hard to avoid everything. I can see why some have bigger wheels and the deluxe Catrikes have rear suspension.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-30-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 11:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Seriously. You are going to have a lot on your plate in the coming months. You've been used to the performance envelope of bicycles. A Terra Trike Rambler will frustrate you to tears. If you can't spend the $$$ for a real performance trike I'd spend the (much less) money on a recumbent exercise bike and call it good. Commute the old fashioned way. No one here will judge you for that.
Old 01-25-19, 08:57 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by leisesturm
seriously. You are going to have a lot on your plate in the coming months. You've been used to the performance envelope of bicycles. A terra trike rambler will frustrate you to tears. If you can't spend the $$$ for a real performance trike i'd spend the (much less) money on a recumbent exercise bike and call it good. Commute the old fashioned way. No one here will judge you for that.
+1
Old 01-25-19, 07:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Riding a Rambler or Rover, or a Delta trike if you could locate one, would be much better than not riding at all. Should just be a temporary thing. I've never ridden a trike, but understand that getting into a more typical tadpole can be a challenge for many.
Old 01-25-19, 08:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I'd start prowling Craigslist. They pop up from time to time.

The tadpoles do sit mighty low. The Deltas, a little higher.

I can do essentially a full hands-free squat. So, getting up and out of stuff is easy, at least when healthy.

I have friends that have major flexibility issues, and difficulties getting up out of a chair. The Tadpoles are just too low. Perhaps a Delta?

Our local co-op manager, Juan has bad Parkinson's disease, and has built a custom delta trike which works well for him, with the little higher seat.

I've thought about making my own design of a tadpole, using a pair of real forks up front, and try to figure out locking brakes, perhaps a wheelchair style brake. That way, one could use the downtubes for grip and support.

I could try to light a fire under my design and building. 3 months?

As far as steering, I find they tend to steer ok, although sometimes a bit squirrelly on steep descents. Nothing extreme with efforts. I've also had them fell a little squirrelly on hard braking.

You might also consider E-Trikes???

Whew, they're not cheap. DIY conversion?

What is your storage like? Do you have a garage with flat space that you can roll into?
Old 01-26-19, 12:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Delta is a brand? You guys are capitalizing it. Or do you just mean a conventional step-through frame tricycle?

Yes, it would live in a garage.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You've been used to the performance envelope of bicycles. A Terra Trike Rambler will frustrate you to tears. If you can't spend the $$$ for a real performance trike I'd spend the (much less) money on a recumbent exercise bike and call it good. Commute the old fashioned way. No one here will judge you for that.
I understand and expect this viewpoint. But consider, I'm frustrated now! I'm used to it. If you looked at my Strava you could see it's estimating sub-100W much of the time (though I don't have a power meter or GPS). I'm going to be frustrated in a different way afterward, because I'm going to have a heart that's supposed to be working again, or at least much better, with lower beta blocker dose, under doctor's orders to simultaneously do a lot of light cardio but avoid doing any heavy lifting and definitely no impacts. I live in central CA, so whatever I do it will be outdoors. Why dodder around the neighborhood - can't walk the dog, he yanks - and then drive three miles to work?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-26-19 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-26-19, 05:56 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Delta is a type of trike with two wheels in the rear and one in front like the Hase and others.

https://hasebikes.com/91-1-Recumbent...-ALLROUND.html

Old 01-26-19, 12:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Mentioned on the Greenspeed Anura description is a claim that it’s easier to sit down on because the axle on a tadpole runs into your calves.
Old 01-26-19, 12:27 PM
CliffordK

Yes, a few basic styles of trikes.

Upright: The old Schwinns. They're usually 1 or 3 speed. Often only drive off of one rear wheel. They have a reputation of being a bit tipsy. Yet, for slowly tooling around, they are easy to ride, and easy to get onto and off of. They often can be picked up used for around $200 or so. Still worth considering, especially if you have a short, flat ride planned.

Delta: Recumbent, two wheels in the back, 1 in front. The rider typically is a bit higher than the Tadpoles. You will have to be able to dismount over the top tube, although I suppose there is no reason why a top tube couldn't be cut low "step-through", except that the top tubes are usually a straight rail allowing easy adjustment of the seat.

Tadpole: Recumbent, 1 rear (driven wheel), 2 front steer wheels. These are typically the lowest of the recumbents, and thus most stable. Easy in/out access, except that the seat is often very very low, so a rider must be able to get up and down.

Velomobile: A few different designs. Usually some of the most expensive bikes/trikes. Also the fastest.

Pedal Cars: Often somewhat like a velomobile, but more upright. E-Assist? I'm seeing a number of "ELF" cars hitting Craigslist. Often 3-wheeled due to legal considerations.
Old 01-26-19, 05:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Sun bikes not in a hurry trikes?

The British made some for Racing ... all light weight , drop bars 700 c wheels Etc, still 1 rear drive wheel

https://www.catrike.com/ bit harder to get into.. but there are helper bars to aid that//

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-28-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 05:36 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Mentioned on the Greenspeed Anura description is a claim that it’s easier to sit down on because the axle on a tadpole runs into your calves.
I have a tadpole that beats up my thighs. I think it is the steering rod that needs to be re-routed.

But, perhaps one has to scoot forward a bit to get up. I'll have to think about that a bit.
Old 01-27-19, 10:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I'm thinking of a Terra Trike Rover or Rambler, as they look more like a chair than a recliner, and I think that's going to be important.
Any other thoughts on the situation?
Consider a Sun Seeker EZ-TRI Classic SX 'delta'. The 'EZ' is a family name, taken from its grandfather, the famous Tour Easy recumbent. The EZ-TRI's seating is also chair height, like those Terra tadpoles you're looking at. Unlike many (most?) trikes, it has front and rear brakes. Wide gear range; good turning circle; maneuverable. Stores compactly, standing on its tail end. Mounting: put your left hand on the handlebar and squeeze the brake lever. Put your right hand on the top of the seat. Step over the (low) frame with your right leg. Move your right hand to the handlebars. Sit down. EZ! My step-daughter has owned one for ~15 years, and while you won't win the World HPV Championships on one, hers has been a solid, trouble-free machine. And...I guarantee you won't suffer $1000 depreciation in a year's ownership!

Last edited by tcs; 01-27-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 11:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

They had different designations in the old days but the basic designs have existed since the 1870s.

Old 01-27-19, 11:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
The British made some for Racing ... all light weight , drop bars 700 c wheels Etc, still 1 rear drive wheel.
Racing and touring. The latest news from the old world is the top quality ones have had differentials and two wheel drive since ~1930s. Not the machines we're considering here, but still cool.

Old 01-27-19, 02:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Tadpoles may be hard to get in and out of. You can tell if it'll be a problem by getting up and down from a small step - 6 inches or so. You have to be able to lean forward before standing. A delta recumbent would be easier to get in and out of, but might be slow enough for you to decide that all recumbents must suck. Either way, a recumbent will ride differently and will feel weird at first.

My big worry would be the effect of jarring when going over rough spots, especially given that a trike has 3 wheel tracks not just one.
Old 01-27-19, 02:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by tcs
Racing and touring. The latest news from the old world is the top quality ones have had differentials and two wheel drive since ~1930s. Not the machines we're considering here, but still cool.

Sweet looking setups.

I've thought quite a bit about going for a cargo trike.

Our local Co-op uses a recumbent base for their cargo trikes. But, my experiments with recumbents is that they can be fun, but my speed and power really suffers.

So, there would be benefits of a quality upright.

Someone had recently posted a photo of a Schwinn Paramount trike (or trike conversion).

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...have-seen.html
Old 01-28-19, 11:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My LBS has some recumbent delta trikes not much lower seat than a dining room chair.. but lower than upright trike type, I mentioned earlier..

I don't recall the specifics.. May find that in a couple days...
Old 01-28-19, 01:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
A gentleman in our club owns an upright trike. You can read about it here:

https://16incheswestofpeoria.wordpre...sley-tricycle/

Old 01-29-19, 12:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
It would just seem logical that sitting on a bent or trike with the chest open would seem to be far better that all hunched over on a DF bike.
Old 01-30-19, 06:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

There’s a Catrike Trail on my local CL right now, asking $2000. It’s an older non folding model resembling only the Pocket in the current line up, with a mesh seat stretched over the frame. I’m not sure what makes it “trail” per se. Edit: it seems that the current Pocket has 3 BMX wheels like both the older and newer Trail, while the older Pocket had 16ers up front. A little confusing.

There’s a seller in Minden NV blowing out a whole garage full of recumbents including a coupled Rans tandem. Prices look optimistic. I’m not shopping for 2 wheels but I figure someone here might be.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-30-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 07:45 PM
CliffordK

Some of those upright trikes look pretty sweet. Perhaps not quite what @Darth Lefty had in mind, but Whew!!!

One article mentioned driving only one wheel, but rear differentials are available, although not necessarily limited slip. One could easily enough allow forward ratcheting on both wheels to give a form of limited slip. Perhaps continuous bearing lock like PowerCranks use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Do...2/253090636524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Jackson...7/113540208102

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Tr...A/312438835333

OAKLAND for that Titanium Trike. It looks pretty sweet with "Positrac". And, good price... I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-1...d/392175420673

Old 01-31-19, 01:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Good welders can make all kinds of nice things but I’m trying to get nearly all weight off my pecs.

tadpoles seem like pretty good candidates for Macpherson struts. But it seems like I only see rear suspension. I suppose the works would be pretty expensive.

i found a seller in Utah making Catrike quad conversions. Or maybe they’re factory? But nothing like them on the Catrike site.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-31-19 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 04:31 AM
CliffordK

Ok, so maybe you don't want the uprights, at least not the forward leaning uprights. The MTB style upright above might not be much different than other trikes.

You may want to play around a bit with steering. I think the SUN Delta trikes are typically a handlebar steer.

Other models of deltas may have under seat steer. Or, similar near the seat steering for the tadpoles.

The Eugene Center for Appropriate Transport cargo trike has a unique foot/pedal steering system.

Modified delta. 2 rear wheels, 1 front wheel. Front powered. They like "E-Trikes".

https://www.catoregon.org/
Cargo Bikes & Human Powered Machines on Student Show

I believe the handlebars are fixed, and only used for shifting/brakes, and support.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are currently making any now. It is kind of sad, but essentially their entire fabrication revolved around a single individual who is doing less and less.

Nonetheless, there is no reason a lightweight model couldn't be made utilizing a similar design.
Old 01-31-19, 10:51 AM
tcs
Palmer

tadpoles seem like pretty good candidates for Macpherson struts. But it seems like I only see rear suspension. I suppose the works would be pretty expensive.
It's pretty much bounded by the limit on your charge card and whatever weight you want to pedal uphill.

I found a seller in Utah making Catrike quad conversions. Or maybe they’re factory?
Conversions. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but three points determine a plane.
Old 01-31-19, 10:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think the SUN Delta trikes are typically a handlebar steer.
Sun Seeker offers both OSS and USS deltas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.