Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Time for a New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 06:14 PM
VastCrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for a New Bike

After moving this past fall I have come to conclusion that a new bike is necessary,I know I'm an unfortunate soul to be in this situation! My only experience is with road riding and paved trails. I wasn't quite expecting so many options when looking at a new bike, first off so many categories, cyclocross, gravel, trail, off road. So no longer having a local shop that would point help narrow down my choices, I'm turning to BF. I would certainly appreciate some feedback from vertically challenged folks. I'm 5'2" on a good day. The reach was certainly noticeable on a gravel bike even for a short time in the shop. Looking at specs it seems that this style bike typically has a longer reach verses a compact road bike?
I initially visited a Specialized shop and they had a Crux on a trainer. So originally I thought I would get that. The majority of our bikes are Specialized so there is the stay with what's familiar theme. However after leaving the shop I wasn't overly excited and that got me wondering if I should branch out and explore my options! A mix of dread and excitement at the thought!
My 2 bikes that are not Specialized is a carbon Trek road bike and a Bilenky tandem. I must say there is something special getting on the tandem knowing its a unique piece of work, adds some extra joy to the ride. I know a custom bike is not likely if I want to be up and riding in the next few weeks however maybe there is the possibility of being on a bike that is not exceptionally common. Or maybe staying with what is tried and true and not being such an adventure seeker is best?!
Let the opinions begin
Old 02-22-19, 06:22 PM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I suppose the first questions would be

budget?

plans for the bike, do you need racks mounts and such?

what kind of riding will you be doing?

frame material preference?
Old 02-22-19, 06:35 PM
VastCrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well thanks Sully, I guess I forgot some important details! Forgive me, I'm recovering from a concussion and am apparently a bit scatter-brained!
I now live close to the GAP and Montour trail, so trail riding. We also seem to get a great deal of wet weather, so I'm assuming disc brakes would be beneficial. Rack mounts would be helpful. Not really sure on the frame material. I understand the basics of steel however at the end of the day I'm the one loading and unloading the bike so weight certainly makes a difference! My original road bike was a Specialized Dolce and it definitely had a road buzz to it. Totally new to trail riding so I'm guessing the ride will be different just because of the surface material I'll be riding on. The bike needs to be comfortable, open to different material options!
Old 02-24-19, 06:51 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Budget? A range, maybe?
Old 02-24-19, 07:56 AM
VastCrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Crux was about $2800 in the shop. I'm not real great with budgets though so flexible. I tend to make allowances for things. Especially since I don't often buy a new bike. My last bike was a Craigslist find because I damaged my frame 2 days before a charity ride. The bike was the right size and my shop was able to make some adjustments and I rode in the event. I think all in all it cost me $800 for the bike and putting it on the road.

With the help of one of my kids we did a little reverse shopping over the weekend. Checked out a few online sites of close to us shops that we haven't visited. Saw the brands that they offer and then started researching specific bikes that would work well. Or what I think would work well? We looked into a couple Salsa bikes, Jamis and Surly. Its tough from my perspective, this is new territory, leaving the road behind. Optimally I would go round and round and make a pros and con list to narrow down choices and then after months of deliberation and talking to people who ride bikes that they are recommending, make a decision. Time frame just doesn't work in my favor if i'd like to be riding in the next few weeks!
Old 02-24-19, 11:00 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Of the 3 manufactures you just listed, the popular models discussed here:

Jamis = Renegade
Salsa = Journeyman, Vaya, Warbird
Surly = Cross check, Straggler, Midnight Special

You really need to test ride a few of these bikes to get an idea of what you want. I have only ridden one of them (Vaya) which has a relaxed position.
Old 02-25-19, 01:45 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by VastCrew
After moving this past fall I have come to conclusion that a new bike is necessary,I know I'm an unfortunate soul to be in this situation! My only experience is with road riding and paved trails. I wasn't quite expecting so many options when looking at a new bike, first off so many categories, cyclocross, gravel, trail, off road. So no longer having a local shop that would point help narrow down my choices, I'm turning to BF. I would certainly appreciate some feedback from vertically challenged folks. I'm 5'2" on a good day. The reach was certainly noticeable on a gravel bike even for a short time in the shop. Looking at specs it seems that this style bike typically has a longer reach verses a compact road bike?
I initially visited a Specialized shop and they had a Crux on a trainer. So originally I thought I would get that. The majority of our bikes are Specialized so there is the stay with what's familiar theme. However after leaving the shop I wasn't overly excited and that got me wondering if I should branch out and explore my options! A mix of dread and excitement at the thought!
My 2 bikes that are not Specialized is a carbon Trek road bike and a Bilenky tandem. I must say there is something special getting on the tandem knowing its a unique piece of work, adds some extra joy to the ride. I know a custom bike is not likely if I want to be up and riding in the next few weeks however maybe there is the possibility of being on a bike that is not exceptionally common. Or maybe staying with what is tried and true and not being such an adventure seeker is best?!
Let the opinions begin
I'm your height, also on a good day. Just before Christmas, I picked up last year's model of a Felt F40x in a size 47. The F40x looks to have been discontinued, but the other models are still available. Felt also have their new adventure and gravel bikes, Broam and Breed.
It did take me a few rides to get used to the wider handlebars (it has 40cm, my road bike has 36cm), but I'm grateful for them when off-road. I spent yesterday afternoon thrashing around on a local mountain bike trail with a friend, and the bike handled wonderfully. I will say this though, the F40x is a pretty aggressive frame, which I don't mind as my road bike is also fairly aggressive. The Breed and Broam are likely to have slightly less aggressive geometry.
Old 02-25-19, 06:46 AM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A friend of mine has been considering getting a gravel bike. She's 5'3" and her current bike is a 2014 Specialized Dolce Elite, size 48. So sounds like a similar situation to hers. We started by doing Competitive Cyclist's bike fit calculator with her (which I highly recommend, but you'll need someone to help you do it – little things make a big difference in the measurements so follow the instructions carefully). Anyway, the most important dimension that the calculator gives you is the range of effective top tube lengths that will be good for you. Based on that you can pick a bike based on the published geometry of a bike and then compare the other measurements to your current bike to see how the fit will differ from what you're used to.

Anyway, we had found a really great deal on last year's Fuji Jari, but the bike fit calculator said the stand-over height was all wrong for her. Ditto for the for Diamondback Haanjo. What the calculator did say would fit was the Felt Breed (size 47) and the Cannondale Topstone (size XS). So those are two that you might want to consider.
Old 02-25-19, 01:12 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You didn't say what size Crux you tried out, but you may want to check out the Specialized Diverge. The Crux is certainly quite capable of gravel riding, but it was designed as a cyclocross racing bike while the Diverge was aimed more at gravel and all around road riding. The size 48 carbon Diverge has shorter reach and higher stack than either the 46 or 49 Crux, so you may find it more comfortable.
Old 02-25-19, 11:54 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesdawg
you didn't say what size crux you tried out, but you may want to check out the specialized diverge. The crux is certainly quite capable of gravel riding, but it was designed as a cyclocross racing bike while the diverge was aimed more at gravel and all around road riding. The size 48 carbon diverge has shorter reach and higher stack than either the 46 or 49 crux, so you may find it more comfortable.
+1
Old 02-26-19, 05:44 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Fuji Jari

Yes. This is the bike for you.
Old 02-26-19, 08:01 AM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Fuji Jari

Yes. This is the bike for you.
Actually, not it's (probably) not. I own one. Found a great deal on them and a (5'3" female) friend was interested in buying it, but the stand over height was all wrong.
Old 02-26-19, 08:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You didn't say what size Crux you tried out, but you may want to check out the Specialized Diverge. The Crux is certainly quite capable of gravel riding, but it was designed as a cyclocross racing bike while the Diverge was aimed more at gravel and all around road riding. The size 48 carbon Diverge has shorter reach and higher stack than either the 46 or 49 Crux, so you may find it more comfortable.
True. I love the crux, but its for aggressive riders. Its light, agile, fast, and has great acceleration. Not the best at fast down hills. Not something you'll strap bags or racks too.

For someone your size, I would be tempted to get something that had women's specific sizing, and/or something that offered 650b wheels size for smaller sized frames only. There is a lot of compromise getting a big 700c wheel (and tire) in a small frame.

The two most important questions I ask myself are:
How long is the top tube - this is critical for proper fit (more specifically the reach to the handlebars)
What size tires do I want to use. (40mm is great for mixed dirt and gravel, some like larger for more cush and rougher terrain, some like smaller as they tend to be lighter and easier to ride on the right terrain (pavement and hardpack).

also, do you care about weight? It makes a difference in acceleration and climbing, but not so much flatter long distance rides. If you like specialized, I really liked riding the Seqouia. Its the opposite of the Crux. Its not a light weight, not fast accelerating, steel, super comfortable ride, handling, rider positioning. I could ride that thing all day and be happy. I wouldn't want to do an hour long sprint with it though - that is what the Crux is for.
Old 02-26-19, 11:39 AM
VastCrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really appreciate the feedback! I will certainly look at the recommended bikes, its nice getting opinions from others and learning from others experiences. Looks like BikeTek is in the city and they carry the Felt line and I'm sure there must be a Cannondale dealer not far away. I'm curious how the test riding goes, most of the local shops are in the city and considering that I'm looking at trail riding it might be interesting! Maybe they offer demo rentals or something that you can actually have the bike for the day or several hours? Either way if they sell these bikes they must have some sort of solution!
The bike fit calculator was super helpful, thank you!
Old 02-26-19, 12:11 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
Actually, not it's (probably) not. I own one. Found a great deal on them and a (5'3" female) friend was interested in buying it, but the stand over height was all wrong.

won’t work if it doesn’t fit

great value with the Fuji brand though
Old 02-26-19, 12:23 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Consider frames with a shorter head tube and smaller wheels, like the Surly Midnight Special running 26" wheels. Smaller wheels create more torque, while the lower frame geometry allows you to achieve an aero road-bike posture. It seems to me your main task is to avoid a too-high, too-long frame.

I see a shorter woman who occasionally rides a very steep road on an upright 700c-wheeled dutch-style bike, but I don't see her often because I'm certain she's in pain the next day. The dutch bike requires her to stand up and hammer the pedals on steep climbs. Maybe large hills aren't an issue where you live.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 02-26-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 12:27 PM
VastCrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to try to narrow down what material I want this bike to be! I've read plenty of online feedback boasting or degrading all the materials. It almost seems that the tires make more of a difference than whether it be carbon, steel or aluminum?

I was amazed years ago when I rode a carbon bike for the first time. Up until then I was perfectly happy on my bike until I knew there was a difference. I didn't realize how much road buzz I was feeling! Obviously road buzz wont be problem on a trail however will frame material be noticeable while trail riding?

I'm pretty sure I'm not looking for another carbon bike. I can't see an advantage to having one for the trail. I've also decided for sure that I want the mount options for racks.

I'm not too concerned with the weight of a bike. Changing my personal weight will mostly likely have a larger benefit than changing the weight of a bike by a few pounds! With that being said, we have hills a plenty around here! I realize the the GAP trail is fairly flat but if I ride anywhere else locally, hills will be involved for sure! I'm also shocked to see that some trail bikes are pushing towards 30lbs! That's a lot of bike! I will probably do my best to avoid a bike that heavy

Last edited by VastCrew; 02-26-19 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-19, 07:46 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the Montour Trail and GAP are in your range you must be in the Pittsburgh Suburbs! There is a great shop west of the city near there that carries Felt, Salsa, Jamis, Open, Bombtrack, 3T and Surly. It is SweetWater Bikes in Ambridge and last time I was in there they had a bunch of smaller sizes of last year models on sale. That is good because a lot of the 2019 bikes are 10 - 15% more expensive due to Tarriff issues. Specialized is I think an average of 17% more expensive than last year for example. You should check the shop out. The Jamis Renegade has a great range of models from $900 to $3500, and the Bombtrack and 3T bikes are cool if you want something no one else has. SweetWater is the only shop in the area that specializes in Gravel and Allroad bikes wity lots of models on the floor and lots of knowledge about gravel riding. And they have a giant basement you can use for test rides when the weather is crappy outside!

Despite being in the suburbs, the shop is HUGE as it is located in an old department store there. I am pretty sure it is the largest shop in the Pittsburgh area and being in Ambridge they have pretty low costs so they can offer great prices. They are also pretty generous about letting you take bikes out for a longer test ride. BikeTec will let you ride it on the sidewalk while they watch you like a carnivore watches a baby deer, and Pro Bike & Run will let you ride it only in their parking lot.

There are lots of great bikes to consider but for now I would stay away from Fuji as they are in bankruptcy and who knows what corners they cut in manufacturing their last lot of bikes or what will happen with warranty issues if you have any.

Good luck!

Last edited by gravelslider; 03-05-19 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added content
Old 03-08-19, 09:07 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider

There are lots of great bikes to consider but for now I would stay away from Fuji as they are in bankruptcy and who knows what corners they cut in manufacturing their last lot of bikes or what will happen with warranty issues if you have any.

Good luck!
Fuji is out of bankruptcy because they were just sold. Apparently they were holding back the 2019 models until it was all settled with the Performance shops being divested. I would not hesitate to buy a Fuji.