Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Cycling NorthWest: Roadbike or MTB?

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 06-14-19, 04:11 AM
blurg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

coming summer I will be RV-ing around with my family for 6 weeks in this area, and I am planning to take a bike with me on the plane. I cycle a lot and I do like my Colnago racing roadbike pretty much, as well as my Scott MTB.
I do think my racing bike is a cool bike to take with me, but I doubt if that would be the right choice.

We will mainly stay in the National Parks and nature in general.
What would be the best way to make various day trips in these areas, a mountainbike or the roadbike?

Cheers,
Blurg

Last edited by blurg; 06-14-19 at 03:19 PM. Reason: said the same thing thrice
Old 06-14-19, 01:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
Probably the road bike, but that depends carry much where you're going.

To the best of my knowledge, bikes aren't allowed on any trail in any national park in the PNW. Bikes aren't allowed on most trails outside the parks either, at least in my state.

They're are a lot of fantastic scenic roads to ride. A lot of them are paved, many more are gravel. Personally I find a MTB on gravel to be kind of boring.

I live here and have a gravel road bike, no MTB. That would be different if I lived E of the crest.
Old 06-14-19, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18270 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Yeah. National Park trails are off limits to bikes. I am talking "nature trails," not bike specific trails like the paved on in Teton and Glacier.

As noted, the answer depends on where exactly you plan to go. For example, if you spend some time in certain areas of ID there are plenty of MTB opportunities. In fact, ACA has an entire loop route that includes several hot springs in the state.
Old 06-14-19, 03:25 PM
blurg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your answers!

Well, we will be visiting Idaho and Oregon, We will focus on the National parks in these two states, and if we have seen enough, heading on for Washington. But that is not sure, we think we can spent those 6 weeks very well in these parks.

The roadbike I have, is lovely on slick paved roads, even on older asphalt I don't like it that much. It's a road racer, not a gravelbike.
But it's awesome for sight seeing while cycling 100km in 3 hours.

But if I need to cycle mostly on busy car roads, it's no fun for me.

So therefore, I thought, the Scott MTB would be the best option. Okay, parks are off limits for bikes, except when there are trails.

Am I specific enough when I say, the National parks in Idaho / Oregon, or would it be better to name the parks we plan to visit, for a good answer?

Cheers,
Blurg
Old 06-15-19, 06:30 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Bikes are not allowed on *trails* in National Parks. Except in high traffic areas, bikes are usually allowed on roads.

Central Oregon has plenty of Mountain Biking. Bend, Oakridge and Ashland are places in Oregon where I had a great time riding.

Washington has plenty of trails that are also open to Mountain Bikes. Can't speak for Idaho.

Have a great visit.
Old 06-16-19, 12:50 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 283 Posts
You should be good either way. If you know which parks you'll be staying at, we could give you recommendations on routes and options.
Old 07-04-19, 08:24 PM
VeloLovePDX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't make the wrong choice. Maybe you can't ride in national parks but there are tons of mountain bike and gravel options and no end of great road bike rides. You will love it
Old 09-18-19, 12:47 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I don' think you can go wrong with a Jones SWB for this area. Once you get past the unorthodox appearance, I think this is the ideal bike for this area and not that $$ compared to other new bikes.

I really want one!
Old 10-28-19, 03:54 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I don' think you can go wrong with a Jones SWB for this area. Once you get past the unorthodox appearance, I think this is the ideal bike for this area and not that $$ compared to other new bikes.

I really want one!
Plus one!
This way you can do everything. You can ride it on the road, paved bike trails and mountain bike trails. If you are in Long Beach, WA you can also ride it on the beach, about 25 miles one way.