White Chuck Mountain

Old 08-20-19, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
White Chuck Mountain

There's very little info about this peak online, and there are some active, adventurous folks in here. I have a hunch several people might enjoy a few of the photos, maybe someone will benefit from the info.

White Chuck is "a view peak" outside Darrington. It's a very short route, the trail goes about a mile, then turns into a climbing route that's not much longer. Very steep and exposed, to put it mildly. Don't take a dog, don't take anyone who's afraid of heights, don't take anyone who has any amount of clumsy in them. Wear grippy shoes. Finally, expect it to take longer than you think, the drive also, in terms of when you should check in. Veronica told us SAR is coming if we don't have service by 7 pm, that's too early. We could receive but not send texts near the TH.

I would have preferred to be on belay for this, but the route isn't protectable. You can get a few Camelots in here and there, notes and hexes nowhere. Part of the route is crumbly ground, part is down sloping slabs with pebbles to trip you, all of it has cliffs below.

About to start the climb:

Gully, Stillaguamish Valley behind us.

Veronica ascending the meadow.

Hi Sloan Peak! You look formidable today.

The west summit.

White Chuck Glacier

Yours truly.

Nick ascending the slabs.

I'm enjoying my prize, with a mountain goat nearby.

An eagle soaring over the Stilly G Valley and Whitehorse Mountain.

Edit to add: stay right on the way up, watch out for sucker gullies on the way down.

Last edited by Seattle Forrest; 08-20-19 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: